• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 route rumors

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some predictions here. Note that the start of stage 10 is actually Moutiers just further from Bourg:
Stages 8-11
grand-bornand-stage-8.png

tignes-stage-9.png

la-mure-stage-10.png

mont-ventoux-stage-11-1.png

Stage 14:
quillan-stage-14.png

Those look more like the dream of a wild course design fan than something out of Gouvenou's hat.

I don't know, i.e. that Bourg-Saint-Maurice to La Mure stage does seem like a typical "let's put some hors-catégorie cols early in the stage because I believe it'll create spectacle" Christian Prudhomme special. He's been doing that for many years now & it never works.

Everyone rides tempo & the fans scream their anger. Rinse repeat etc.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know, i.e. that Bourg-Saint-Maurice to La Mure stage does seem like a typical "let's put some hors-catégorie cols early in the stage because I believe it'll create spectacle" Christian Prudhomme special. He's been doing that for many years now & it never works.

I thought the same until I looked at the penultimate climb: 6km @ 11% with 21km to the finish seems good enough to make a selection... unless they decide to take a rest for Mont Ventoux the day after.

*** bonus points for Madeleine + Glandon....

Anyway, Ventoux descent finish, I want it, but I so doubt we're gonna get one.

I wouldn't really know how to characterize the other typical Prudhomme ***. Although the bonus seconds on top of climbs haven't nearly gotten the hate they deserved in the last 2 years.

The La Mure finish could be replaced with Alpe d'Huez as a queen stage over the Iseran and Galibier or whatever. My take is though that an Alpe d'Huez MTF followed by an arrival off Mont Ventoux might be a bit much. But who knows. We've got 5 days or so until they 'release' the route (but we will no doubt not know all the details until 2021..)

Also the Parquetout is deceptively steep in parts. If they went down the side the climbed I would sadly be surprised if there wasn't a big crash like richie port in 2017. To put it in perspective the figures are similar to Plateau des glieres (a HC climb on the stage Carapaz and Kwiatkowski did a 1-2 this year.

Last edited:
Like Red Rick I would love to see a decent finish after Mont Ventoux, the La Mure stage you designed looks great as does the stage starting in Carccassone.

I'd like to see Luz Ardiden back. It's been 10 years, so not overused, and it is one of the better finishes in the Pyrenees especially when coupled with the Tourmalet.

I'd like to see some decent amount of TTing to bring some balance back to GT racing. Ideally x2 TTs one flat and one hilly, but will take one TT if it's a lengthy one 50-55km.

Aight, I have Pyrenees finished (stages 15-18). 3 MTF might seem like a bit much, but I don't see a 4th mountain stage leaving from Andorra:
la-rabassa.png

saint-gaudens-via-envalira.png

muret-portet.png

luz-ardiden.png

Stage 15 I believe would have the most elevation gain (~5700m) while stage 17 would be the queen stage arguably (unless they do some freaking Iseran - Galibier - Alpe like I had planned originally)

Aight, I have Pyrenees finished (stages 15-18). 3 MTF might seem like a bit much, but I don't see a 4th mountain stage leaving from Andorra:
la-rabassa.png

saint-gaudens-via-envalira.png

muret-portet.png

luz-ardiden.png

Stage 15 I believe would have the most elevation gain (~5700m) while stage 17 would be the queen stage arguably (unless they do some freaking Iseran - Galibier - Alpe like I had planned originally)
I could maybe see the final 2 happen, but not that Andorra stage. I think the Tour also likes to have the weakest Pyrenees stage be the downhill finish if they have 3 stages. Somehow Tourmalet is always wasted en passant as a leg warmer or MTF, I would really like to see it as a downhill finish tbh.

Port de Paillheres IMO might be the #1 underrated climb in the Pyrenees and it's never been the focal point of a stage as far as I remember.

I could maybe see the final 2 happen, but not that Andorra stage. I think the Tour also likes to have the weakest Pyrenees stage be the downhill finish if they have 3 stages. Somehow Tourmalet is always wasted en passant as a leg warmer or MTF, I would really like to see it as a downhill finish tbh.

Port de Paillheres IMO might be the #1 underrated climb in the Pyrenees and it's never been the focal point of a stage as far as I remember.

That is true, I've heard rumours that instead of Andorra having an MTF they could finish off a descent (possible for a good stage if they used the Collada de la Gallina thats 12km 8%) and finished at the foot of La Rabassa in Julia de Loria. Another option to highlight the Pailheres is finish in ax-les-thermes rather than the typical Ax 3 Domaines or Plateau de Beille.

For appetizer a puncheur hilly finish in windy Bretagne.
Flat sprinter stages should be no shorter than 250K.
For the last 1½ week after a visit in the Pyrenees I'll personally prefer a mix of crosswind stages combined with very high mountain stages, middle mountain stages for attacks and in between a +70k ITT, well mixed up.
  • Crosswind stage could well be in in Languedoc-Roussillon region, Hérault -, Gard - departments.
  • Turning to an 70+K ITT transfer from Auvergne to Rhone, e.g. starting in Ardéche finishing in flat regon of Drôme.
  • Turning to a multi-very high mountain stage, inspired by 1993 Isola 2000-like stage which passed multi monster mountains like Col d'Izoard, Col du Vars, Cîme de la Bonette du Restefond with finale Isola 2000. We witnessed in this years Giro Stelvio Stage that extreme mountains certainly can make a difference in GC
  • Mixing back to hilly stage in Provence-Alpes
  • Then over to a Ventoux stage finish with 220 flat kilometres before the climb.
  • And next day new crosswind stage with final 80k 'Mediterranean straight' Carmague - La Grande-Motte - Sète - Agde.
  • Followed by a Chamrousse MTT
  • And then grande finale 'La Marmotte' i.e. Col du Glandon - Col Du Télégraphe - Col du Galibier - l'Alpe d'Huez.
And we have a deserved winner.

TRENDING THREADS