• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 4: Redon - Fougères, 150.4 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As far as I can remember, van Moer came closer to winning solo from a break than anyone in the Tour since Nicolas Vogondy was caught with less than 50m remaining into Chateauroux on stage 5 in 2008. That stage is known, not only for Vogondy's heartbreaker in the French champion's jersey, but for a youngster who got his first stage win that day. Whatever became of him?
Jack Bauer was caught 15 metres from the line around 2015.

My favourite one of these was 2012 stage 18, just the way Cav drops the peloton while chasing the break down.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQedKbxiuBA

Reactions: Leinster
The IoM FA (like those of Jersey and Guernsey) is a county association under the English FA, but I believe that a player, like other players who might have a UK passport but no birthlink to any of the four nations, are free to choose who they would represent (or see who might pick them).
I believe it’s having a birth link to one of the islands, gives you the freedom to choose; Budge Pountney was born and raised in England to English parents, but his grandmother (iirc) was from Jersey, so he qualified to play rugby for Scotland.

Cav’s accent is definitely close to Lancashire. I haven’t hear enough Manx speakers to know if they have a distinct accent of their own, but if someone with Cav’s voice told me they were from anywhere within 50 miles of Manchester, I’d believe them without question.

Reactions: Broccolidwarf
I believe it’s having a birth link to one of the islands, gives you the freedom to choose; Budge Pountney was born and raised in England to English parents, but his grandmother (iirc) was from Jersey, so he qualified to play rugby for Scotland.

Cav’s accent is definitely close to Lancashire. I haven’t hear enough Manx speakers to know if they have a distinct accent of their own, but if someone with Cav’s voice told me they were from anywhere within 50 miles of Manchester, I’d believe them without question.
They have a scouse twang to them. Just listen to Pete Kennaugh.

Congratulations to Mark Cavendish for winning a stage at the Tour again after all this years.

They should gift the win to Van Moer.

Got to hand it to Eurosport commentators this time. Calling out ASO and UCI in front of millions of viewers and saying all the right things. As for the protest. It was minuscule in the end and in my opinion cyclist should do a bit more. Like abandoning stage 4 altogether. That is the only thing that would hurt where it needs to hurt. I don't know if Alaphilippe acted on his own or it was team orders but that was a shitty move. André Greipel sorted it out and did that by not saying the word please. Some people in this thread saying on how cyclist don't have the right to protest and shouldn't race if they have issues with what happened on stage 1 and 3. This sport was never about what you believe it is all about.

So you decide to post this, 20 minutes after acknowledging the information, that ASO was not to blame, as has been widely reported throughout the day?

Dishonesty in its purest form :rolleyes:

ASO should do more. They are the race organisers and as such responsible for the safety of their riders.

As for you please don't be a creep. In every thread i participate there you are creeping and making some wild accusations. That is just not cool.

ASO should do more. They are the race organisers and as such responsible for the safety of their riders.

As for you please don't be a creep. In every thread i participate there you are creeping and making some wild accusations. That is just not cool.

I call you on your dishonesty.

I you don't like it, stop being dishonest.

Or, alternatively, use the excellent "ignore" function on the forum, so you can keep being dishonest in peace from me.

And if some people on Eursport went on in for hours. What does that have to do with me? Forget about me altogether. I am not significant in all of this. Go fight that people that can address millions if you feel what they claimed was bogus.

All I claim is, that you were INFORMED, 20 minutes ahead of your post, that ASO sided with the riders - and still you decide to come in here, to pretend you don't already hold that information.

I understand why you don't like getting busted, in full public view, when you try to start drama through dishonesty - but you can only blame yourself for that.

I see you are one of those people. Anyway please stop wasting my time.

P.S. If you have issues with it call out Eurosport. Today they were claiming exactly what i have been claiming and with what apparently you don't agree with.

I have no issues with Eurosport.

I have issues with you, being told ASO supported the riders, acknowledging that information - and then 20 minutes later posting in another thread, that you applaud Eurosport for calling out ASO, despite KNOWING they sided with the riders.

I have an issue with dishonesty.

Reactions: dicanio_michael
I have no issues with Eurosport.

As they called out ASO that settles it for me.

I have issues with you, being told ASO supported the riders, acknowledging that information - and then 20 minutes later posting in another thread, that you applaud Eurosport for calling out ASO, despite KNOWING they sided with the riders.

I have an issue with dishonesty.

Note that i really couldn't care less. Lets just leave it at that.