• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 16 (Carcassonne – Foix, 178.5k)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amazing to read and see all these experts and ex-riders having a go at Roglic for leaving, htf do they know how he is feeling, he went out the back very early on a couple of stages.

It is like Rogla can't win. If Vigo wins TDF most of them will say that Rogla going into red couple of times to break Pogi was not a decisive factor. If Vigo loses TDF Rogla will be marked as selfish for abandoning the race and not defending yellow for his teammate.

Rogla has hearth of champion as in my opinion he should abandon race right after the hard crash and injury that broke his TDF dream again and simply prepare for his 4th Vuelta.

As for next 3 stages the tour is over if Pogi can not gain most of the time back (get into striking distance before ITT). For sake of fun I hope he can put some time back in tomorrow's stage so the following stages could become full on battle and not just wheelsucking.

Ok here's the definite opinion on Roglic. If he had not attacked as hard and as many times as Vingegaard did on Galibier Pogacar would have been much fresher on Granon and possibly not lost any time. Roglic was crucially important for the outcome and the advantage Vingegaard has.

Afaik the team directors took him out of the race, he wanted to continue.

Tomorrow van Aert should actually go in the early break. If UAE chase to win the stage he can be there after the top of Col de Lers and if not (more likely to me) he can wait at the top of Péguère and guide Vingegaard to the finish.

Tomorrow van Aert should actually go in the early break. If UAE chase to win the stage he can be there after the top of Col de Lers and if not (more likely to me) he can wait at the top of Péguère and guide Vingegaard to the finish.

Yeah will be interesting to see what tactics JV has made in this regard.
I reckon there is no correct answer to this beforehand. To many unknowns. What I like about cycling:)

Reactions: daviddu
Van Aert will probably be sent in the break to make sure he is there on the descent.

Ineos could counter that by putting Pidcock in the break forcing Jumbo to ride all day and burn up the remainder of their doms. He’s still high enough in the GC to be a faint threat especially with his descending skills. Then it would depend on the size and strength of the break as to whether they could get a big enough gap. But Id expect a lot of riders will be looking to get in the break tomorrow as the leading teams have got reduced manpower for controlling the race.

Plus the way Van Aert has been riding it wouldn’t surprise me terribly if he was able to stay with the GC group over the final climb anyway. He has been insanely strong all race.

Even if Pogačar goes nuclear on Peguere and drops Vingegård chances are that the Danish will be able to catch him in the long descent until the finish with the help of other GC contenders and possibly Van Aert too

If Pogacar goes nuclear WVA will be long gone, and if he's still close enough to help Vingegaard on the descent that probably means Vingegaard is in deep trouble. Wout hasn't looked like he is on his best mountain form and somewhere I read he focussed more on sprint than mountain training this time around.

Exept of course he's in a break, so JV might put him there, but he'd need to survive long enough.

A breakaway of 18 riders will be established on the first categorized climb, at the next climb the group will be reduced to 15, and these 15 riders will stay together until the cat. 1 climb with 50 k to the finish. There, a Frenchman will go solo, but it will prove too early. Quintana goes on the attack on the last climb of the day, but once again he will lose out on the final kilometers.

I missed the three stages in the Alps because of a work meeting abroad. This week I'm working from home, so my prediction is that superglue is gonna glue.

If not in the same boat as you, I'm drafting hide or seek on a close coherent ship in your shadow.
Haven't watched that few stages since I think in maybe 1985 where my national monopoly broadcaster covered 3 x 30 min live TV from three Tour stages in all.
Now there's so much action to catch up on, I'm glad first stages in Denmark were less action packed.
Upcoming days including saturday will include long work days combined with night shifts (as now), my body tells me to rest between calls, but right not trying to catch just a bit up on stage 1, 2, 4-6, 8-10, 12-13 and yesterday's stage 15.
I'e. stage 3, 7, 11 I've in fact now watched maybe 30min total each. On delayed signal that is.
(added live attendance at stage 3 at a beautiful spot all day).

On the positive note: I have something un-watched to enjoy for the short and dark days later this year :p (recording e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g)

A breakaway of 18 riders will be established on the first categorized climb, at the next climb the group will be reduced to 15, and these 15 riders will stay together until the cat. 1 climb with 50 k to the finish. There, a Frenchman will go solo, but it will prove too early. Quintana goes on the attack on the last climb of the day, but once again he will lose out on the final kilometers.
I'm not sure if I agree with the outcome: the Frenchman may be caught in the descent but he can sprint :).

This may be the only opportunity for a rider who can climb to win a stage from the breakaway. Pogacar has no choice but to create mayhem on Stage 17 and probably Stage 18. Mayhem is fast, leaving no chance for a break to go the distance. In some weird sort of twist, in a strange and unconnected way, with a great race tomorrow, Geschke and Pog will only have to strike once in the following two days. The same goes for the Frenchman.

Geschke will get in the break tomorrow, get points. That one is a given.

Will Pog try to blow everything up in the MdP? That, to me is the question, and there's a low-risk, low-reward way. Separate Wout and Jonas, hit the descent hard, pull a Nibali against another Dane. If it fails, more energy was lost by JV reacting, so it's a small win. And we get mayhem the next day.

Jonas has the jersey, the pressure is on him.

Reactions: Danskebjerge

TRENDING THREADS