• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bartali veneration there, Pantani veneration in Rimini and a tribute Coppi in the Piemonte region, at least that's what I've heared.
A Pantani veneration moment was a given, it seems to be contractually obliged. We've seen a lot of Pantani tributes this last few years, but usually in the Giro obviously. I mean, I'd rather Les-Deux-Alpes after Galibier north as the Pantani veneration moment if they were going to have one, but nevertheless.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A Pantani veneration moment was a given, it seems to be contractually obliged. We've seen a lot of Pantani tributes this last few years, but usually in the Giro obviously. I mean, I'd rather Les-Deux-Alpes after Galibier north as the Pantani veneration moment if they were going to have one, but nevertheless.
In before stage 4 (should start in Pinerolo) features an uphill finish in Les-Deux-Alpes after Lautaret...

All the stage profiles, please ignore the French being French and having to use French names:

c3484.jpg

10276.jpg

e6693.jpg

Pantani rolling over in his grave being honoured with a stage like that.
It's pretty much more of a Nove Colli stage than a Pantani stage. I mean, if they did Carpegna before the San Marino climb I could see the Pantani tribute.

Oh well, at least it's not an opening stage for the pure sprinters, aka the bane of cycling and overall a nice first stage.

Can't think of any opening GT stages even remotely comparable to this one. It will probably just be a (heavily?) reduced bunch sprint, though - add a punchy climb in the foothills between San Marino and Rimini and this is a brilliant stage, now it looks similar to a Vosges stage into Mulhouse or Colmar which is not as enticing. Second stage is very nice although San Luca could have been a little closer to the finish line. Third stage is a bit of a shame considering what you can do (and has been done) in Torino but it makes sense considering they'll have to head in to the Alps the day after and the first two days aren't flat. Overall, an intriguing grand départ that could have been stellar with a few tweaks.

As long as they start on a Saturday so stage 3 is the one on a weekday - which seems very likely as there's no need for the kind of transfer that causes the bonus rest day like they do in the Giro sometimes - I legitimately don't think we could ask for much more.

This year was the only time in Tour history (at least within a reasonable time frame) the race started on a Friday. Before that, only the Giro and Vuelta have started on Fridays from time to time (more so the Giro than the Vuelta obviously).

All the stage profiles, please ignore the French being French and having to use French names:

c3484.jpg

10276.jpg

e6693.jpg
For some reason I only remember Rimini being pan flat bunch sprints in the Giro, but this is pretty good. I don't expect GC action, and a pretty uncontested reduced sprint but it's still better than most.

Stage 2 is good, but as an early GT selection a finish on top would be fine as well.

Stage 3 is a stage. Of 225km. Can these guys still go 225km?

I really like this Grand depart. Stage 1 would benefit from finishing earlier but it still offers the opportunity for more than a reduced bunch sprint and on stage 2 double San Luca ascent should already create small gaps among a few contenders. Hope that Evenepoel and Pogačar try to take advantage here before the Alps arrive.

TRENDING THREADS