• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is how I would rank the climbs in order of toughness. Only the first three should count as HC.

1. Cime de la Bonette (stage 19)
  2. Tourmalet (stage 14)
  3. Plateau de Beille (stage 15, MTF)
  4. Isola 2000 (stage 19, MTF)
  5. Col d'Agnès (stage 15)
  6. Col du Galibier (stage 4)
  7. Plat d'Adèt (stage 14, MTF)
  8. Col de Menté (stage 15)
  9. Col du Noyer (stage 17)
  10. Col de Vars (stage 19)
[Edited]

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
This is how I would rank the climbs in order of toughness. Only the first three should count as HC.

2. Tourmalet (stage 14)
  6. Plat d'Adèt (stage 14, MTF)
  7. Col de Menté (stage 15)
  8. Col du Noyer (stage 17)
  9. Col du Galibier (stage 4)
Agnès and Adet are quite similar, but I don't think there can be any doubt that Adet is harder.

AgnesS.gif
PlaDAdet.gif

I can't make sense of what criteria would have you not put Couillole in the top-10.

2. Tourmalet (stage 14)
  6. Plat d'Adèt (stage 14, MTF)
  7. Col de Menté (stage 15)
  8. Col du Noyer (stage 17)
  9. Col du Galibier (stage 4)
Would the same climb early in a stage behind ranked lower than if it was at the end of a long stage?

Well, the Galibier, doesn't seem the hardest climb (but a long one). Taking the run-up, the Lautaret, into account, the last steep kilometers, and the altitude, the Galibier could be considered as one of the toughest climbs.

Keep in mind that the Galibier is the first really tough climb of the Tour. Some (sub) top riders will therefore have bad legs there. In addition, Pogacar must attack there to gain a sufficient lead for the second half of the Tour. So it will be a battlefield both on the climb and during the descent.

Well, the Galibier, doesn't seem the hardest climb (but a long one). Taking the run-up, the Lautaret, into account, the last steep kilometers, and the altitude, the Galibier could be considered as one of the toughest climbs.

Keep in mind that the Galibier is the first really tough climb of the Tour. Some (sub) top riders will therefore have bad legs there. In addition, Pogacar must attack there to gain a sufficient lead for the second half of the Tour. So it will be a battlefield both on the climb and during the descent.
I just see Galibier doing some damage if some team decides to do the stage full gas until the last 6/7 km of Galibier, and then with the fatigue, altitude plus stepness of the last 6/7 km, some gaps can happen between the top riders.

I just see Galibier doing some damage if some team decides to do the stage full gas until the last 6/7 km of Galibier, and then with the fatigue, altitude plus stepness of the last 6/7 km, some gaps can happen between the top riders.

UAE has the firepower to drop almost everyone (except absolutely top guys like Vingo or Rogla) before the last 2-3 km on Galibier. Then Pogacar's attack will do the rest of damage (IMO only Vingo may be able to follow...or not).

Reactions: Froome and SHAD0W93
UAE has the firepower to drop almost everyone (except absolutely top guys like Vingo or Rogla) before the last 2-3 km on Galibier. Then Pogacar's attack will do the rest of damage (IMO only Vingo may be able to follow...or not).
That's exactly the scenario I have in mind. A top Vingegaard could resist, but I don't think Vingo will be able to follow Poga this time. So, Poga with a lead of 30 seconds ahead of (the scattered ?) Roglic, Rodriguez, Simon Yates, Vingegaard... Other (sub)topriders further behind. Teammates Ayuso, Adam Yates, maybe even Almeida coming back in the descent and protecting the rider in front, Pogacar. Winning with three quarters of a minute.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
That's exactly the scenario I have in mind. A top Vingegaard could resist, but I don't think Vingo will be able to follow Poga this time. So, Poga with a lead of 30 seconds ahead of (the scattered ?) Roglic, Rodriguez, Simon Yates, Vingegaard... Other (sub)topriders further behind. Teammates Ayuso, Adam Yates, maybe even Almeida coming back in the descent and protecting the rider in front, Pogacar. Winning with three quarters of a minute.

Not gonna happen, if in need, Rogla will just wheelsuck.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93