• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 10: Orléans > Saint-Amand-Montrond, 187.3km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Congratulations to Jasper Philipsen for winning the stage and to Mathieu van der Poel for providing a perfect lead out.

Peloton self neutralized and all agreed they need an additional rest day, that shows on just how hard first week was. On top of that a rather perfect answer to being treated like a circus animal, as fans for sure would rather have them ride cobbles today. A rather demanding stage coming up tomorrow so all focus already on that.

Let me guess that you have this opinion because the stage didn't suit Primoz Roglic.

Let me guess that you have this opinion because the stage didn't suit Primoz Roglic.

No. I already said that two days back, Rogla is good on gravel and i have no issues if he decides to ride Strade Bianche again in the future. On a GT though, there should be no place for gravel. The reason being it's a lottery, when it comes to punctures and mehanicals and as such it shouldn't have such big influence on the outcome, when it comes to general classification. It's not justifiable.

Probably more because there are still no collarbone protectors even on the gravel, which in turn would suit Primoz Roglic.

Again no, i explained on multiple occasion Rogla is a good bike handler. It's due to crashes and especially injuries pandemic ongoing in the pro peloton, that needs to get addressed. Obviously not by fans, as fans would instead rather make the peloton ride cobbles today. Riders are now starting to change their opinion, valuing their own safety, and teams are starting to back them. Likely due to huge amount of money lately being introduced into pro peloton. For teams it has just become economically unsustainable, to have their superstars injured. So finally they are now pressing on governing bodies, such as UCI, to do something. Fans will be fans, often having a knee jerk reaction about it. And that is more or less about it. Fans will be fine, once riders will be fine, less injured.

No. I already said that two days back, Rogla is good on gravel and i have no issues if he decides to ride Strade Bianche again in the future. On a GT though, there should be no place for gravel. The reason being it's a lottery, when it comes to punctures and mehanicals and as such it shouldn't have such big influence on the outcome, when it comes to general classification. It's not justifiable.

Again no, i explained on multiple occasion Rogla is a good bike handler. It's due to crashes and especially injuries pandemic ongoing in the pro peloton, that needs to get addressed. Obviously not by fans, as fans would instead rather make the peloton ride cobbles today. Riders are now starting to change their opinion and teams are starting to back them. Likely due to huge amount of money lately being introduced into pro peloton. For teams it's just becoming economically unsustainable, to have their superstars injured. So finally they are now pressing on governing bodies, such as UCI, to do something. Fans will be fans, often having a knee jerk reaction about it. And that is more or less about it.
I am anxious for the day where the riders will use airbags.

Again no, i explained on multiple occasion Rogla is a good bike handler. It's due to crashes and especially injuries pandemic ongoing in the pro peloton, that needs to get addressed. Obviously not by fans, as fans would instead rather make the peloton ride cobbles today. Riders are now starting to change their opinion, valuing their own safety, and teams are starting to back them. Likely due to huge amount of money lately being introduced into pro peloton. For teams it has just become economically unsustainable, to have their superstars injured. So finally they are now pressing on governing bodies, such as UCI, to do something. Fans will be fans, often having a knee jerk reaction about it. And that is more or less about it. Fans will be fine, once riders will be fine, less injured.

There were no more mechanicals or punctures than on a regular stage, though, so I think I will stay with my conclusion that the opinion in reality stems from Primoz Roglic being not suited to the stage.

There were no more mechanicals or punctures than on a regular stage, though, so I think I will stay with my conclusion that the opinion in reality stems from Primoz Roglic being not suited to the stage.

Yes, we were kind of cheated, maybe deceived, weren't we? As if this would be a proper gravel stage, for real men, as the fans say, then no way all big 4 would get through the stage intact?

In the end it was sort of a posh gravel stage on where it looks like the organizer really made sure, that the thick layer of newly added gravel turned it into a better then regular road sections surface. We even lost Vlasov on regular road, not gravel. The rest of the stats just not making much sense. No real issues with punctures, mechanicals, crashes ... Riders saying they don't even recognize the route, that much different it was, compared to the surface from recognisance rides a couple of months back.

As for you believing i am against gravel on GTs because of Rogla, or not. There really isn't much point in discussing this, is it? When the mind is set it's set. Personally i do support Rogla riding at SB and PR in the future, it would only be appropriate. We'll see.

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Kobe Goosens' <20km off the front earned him €2000 for most combative rider and €1500 for winning at the sprint point.

WorldTour race Eschborn-Frankfurt paid winnerVan Gils there €2425 (and I have no reason to believe it is the lowest paying WT event)
I've written this before. It's easy money at the moment, Nobody wants to go in the break.

Congrtas to Visma who probably got the most out of stage 10 - an easy ride to keep Vingegaard safe.

The simple solution to making sprint stages interesting is making them into kermesse/criterium style courses, say 30 laps of a 5 km course, or at least if you need to show some tourist shots, have the last 50 kms be a 15 lap circuit. With lots of intermediate primes/points on offer for the leader of a lap, for example.

I would be very pleased to be wrong, for the riders' sake.

My source was https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...urt-prize-money-distribution-eur6050-in-total:

that is obviously a magpie site, so who knows what the original source was.

I've found the roadbook, and it seems whoever wrote that article (or more likely the one it was translated from) read the rules for the U23 race by mistake.