• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France coverage by Versus

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
saphblue said:
No daily coverage of the Vuelta on Versus. Check out Universal, their Giro coverage was pretty good this year.

BTW, OLN/Versus had daily live coverage of TdF the 3 years without Armstrong.

Thank you Saphblue. This is scary now. I'm too young for Azheimers! I don't recall it being on Vs last year, at least in my part of town. I don't believe Universal is available from my cable provider. I'll have to keep an eye on this forum. Thanks again.

cody_57 said:
Just using a piece of the quote for brevity's sake, but I agree 110% with the whole post. (Hey, don't think that one was used by any of the Vs commentators :D)

A huge problem with their show: it's giving the typical American who is not a cycling fan something to watch by focusing on Lance Armstrong and virtually ignoring everyone else most of the time.

The moment Armstrong stops cycling, these "fans" are gone, back to football, basketball and the other "American" sports. What these guys should've been doing is cultivating an interest in the sport and its other competitors, so that maybe when Armstrong retires, there are fans out there who want to see somebody they've "got to know" while Armstrong was riding. But, maybe that's faulty logic and Americans are only watching because it's a possibility that one of their own will be able to "kick a$$" ?? Some of the accompanying comments on other websites do indicate that.

They tried that when it was still OLN. We used to have full daily coverage of the Vuelta and the Giro before 2003.

If anyone is to blame, it's the corporate suits who have shifted the networks focus from being a great forum for sports like cycling, downhill skiing, and adventure sports to FANARCHY with the Jersey Jackass and Sports Soup, not to mention the cage fighting for those who ain't quite good enough to cut it against Vlad Klitschko/Tyson/Holyfield thing they have been pushing.

BTW, how many of you guys complained when Liggett was all about LeMond back in the day? He seemed like a genius when he was just about the only commentator in the world who said LeMond would win in the pre-race of 1989.

benpounder said:
In the US, networks are entirely for profit. That means if they don’t get the viewership, they can not sell advertisments. If they can not sell addvertisments, they do not cover the costs. If they can not cover the costs, they will not continue the broadcasts. Verses numbers for the TdF were up 50% over last year. Obviously they are doing well with the format, and why the hell should they change just because several of us enjoy the esoteric aspects of cycling?

There is an unsavory aspect of devotees of any endeavor, an arrogance of presumed authority, an arrogance of perceived superiority. It is very off-putting to the enthusiastic neophyte. And it is resplendently displayed within this forum.

I don’t like Verses. I don’t like Bob Roll's fawning at Lance Armstrong. I don’t like how Craig Hummer seems to speak in capital letters. I don’t like how Phil never seems to be paying attention to the actual race. But I like that I can watch the race in the comfort of my living room rather than sitting in my office, or glued to my laptop. And having seen live coverage in Europe, there is no way that I'm going to say that what Verses broadcasts is worse just because it is an American outfit. They all suck in particular ways. But If I can watch without little effort, I'll not be biting too hard the hand that provides.

So what is your message here? That Versus coverage is garbage but we should not complain about it because it might upset a neophyte cycling fan? Plus, garbage coverage is better than no coverage, so we still should not complain?

Obviously everyone should have kept their mouths shut about the giant "ad free half hour" graphic on the screen. Versus viewship numbers were up. Why the hell should they care about what a few disgruntled viewers think about it. Making waves about it might upset the delicate sensibilities of a new enthusiast. We sure don't want that. Best to keep quiet and just endure the honking huge graphic. It is better than watching the coverage on a lap top after all.

Lucky for us, people did complain and the graphic size was reduced.

the versus discussion has become an angry one like so many threads i read.
i am not a versus viewer. my brother however never cared much for road racing
until this year. he races AMA desert bikes. he got hooked on the versus coverage in hi def.(it looked spectacular too) for all of it's faults, it brought
people who rode a bike sometime in their life, a new respect for pro cycling.
no john tesh soundtrack either. the universal sports coverage of the giro was
cool. a lot less lance, although he is a star. the video feeds are always from
a euro source in both broadcasts, so you make your show in the studio. "is the glass half empty? is the glass half full? i hope you're happy.":cool:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I can understand VS trying to cultivate more viewers via all the LA stories and commentary. I understand when Ullrich was riding,cycling interest in Germany spiked. I've always been of the view that Germany was a borderline cycling country, though not as fervent as in the Low Countries. To me, cycling either appeals, or it doesn't. I'm of the opinion that when the media hype something, they may gain some temporary interest. But I suppose that's good enough to raise the advertising rates. Me personally, I've always enjoyed riding my bike. I really don't expect much coverage here in the U.S. America is just not a cycling country. We have American football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey,and a plethora of collegiate sports.Cycling, like soccer is not conducive to lots of commercial interruptions. Me thinks that's another reason soccer is not very popular in the U.S. I'll stop rambling.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
They are concerned with advertisers and their audience. Personally - even if I did not appreciate their commentary (although I did not find it that bad) I would be grateful that I am watching daily cycling instead of 30 minutes to an hour on Sundays the way it was in the past. If they are presenting such a bad product another station will be able to present it to the public. I did watch the Giro in the internet this year because it was not on VS but it was not the same quality and I was unable to understand the commentary (also their clearly were not as many cameras available for what I was watching.

So - I would rate them a 10 for footage - 8 for tech news (I would like more, particularly about bike set up and maintenance) - and an 8 for commentary (I do think they could have someone link to a feed on Contador's statements and then translate).
As far as the Giro coverage, you owe it to yourself to look a little harder.
Universal , an NBC branch carried The Giro on TV AND online. And it was excellent coverage in every respect. I've been with the whole Lance Odyssey since ESPN days, and this years coverage was the most deplorable coverage I have ever seen on TV. It lacked alternate perspectives, it failed to investigate allegations that were very snidely insinuated or boldly (mis)stated.
Nothing personal, But, If you're OK with all that garbage, then great! But one day when you learn more about the sport, you'll get what I'm talking about. Ever wonder what's going to happen when Lance retires for good? Answer:The first time around Versus cancelled their coverage of the Giro and the Vuelta. Wanna bet the Tour will go when Lance goes? I think their contract ends after next years race. let's see.:)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
They stuck with the tour post-Lance the first time around. Even after Landis doped it up, they stuck with it. I doubt the tour is going anywhere anytime soon in America.

Firstly, I have to say thank you to Versus for bringing us the TdF. As others have said, it is better to watch something than nothing.

Unfortunately, I think they lost a good opportunity here. As has been stated, VS viewership for the TdF is up over last year because of Armstrong's return. They could have used his return to increase interest in cycling amongst the "casual" viewer by talking more about other riders and aspects of the race than just the Armstrong/Astana side.

When Armstrong retires - again - these casual viewers will disappear because VS have basically lead them to believe that Armstrong IS cycling, and that once he is gone, there is no point in watching anymore.

VS have realized their short-term goal of raising viewership and ad revenue, but are completely forgetting the long-term.

As for the VS crew:

Craig I can stand - he is a journalist after all.

Phil - I love listening to him for his "Liggetisms".

Paul - enjoy listening to him correcting Phil.

Bob Roll - clearly the biggest twat on the show. Completely Armstrong obsessed. His "Top 7 Climbers" before Verbier was hilarious.

On tonight's Prime Time show Craig asks each for a comment about the Ventoux stage.

Phil - Talks about Ventoux and how surreal it was commentating from 35km away with cars passing by on the road outside.

Paul - Talks about how the much anticipated Ventoux stage really had little effect on the overall GC.

Bob - "Lance Armstrong....". I just switched off.

Overall, not the greatest coverage, but coverage none the less. Will I be tuning in next year? Of course I will, though I guess I'll be biting my lip when Bob is one screen.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
They stuck with the tour post-Lance the first time around. Even after Landis doped it up, they stuck with it. I doubt the tour is going anywhere anytime soon in America.

They had signed a new 5 year agreement in 08 before they even knew he was coming back. It's good business for them.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bob Roll cracks me up. Who cares that he talks about Armstrong. He was a card during Armstrong's retirement and something I look forward to in July.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
My two favorite Bob Roll stories this tour was his tour racing experiences. One was the team meetings and forgetting the game plan right after leaving the trailer; re: team radios would have been nice. And the other when peloton splitting apart because of Hinault laying down a nasty pace while Roll was in the back trying to figure out who was driving the train. The guy's mannerisms during his tales crack me up.

scribe said:
My two favorite Bob Roll stories this tour was his tour racing experiences. One was the team meetings and forgetting the game plan right after leaving the trailer; re: team radios would have been nice. And the other when peloton splitting apart because of Hinault laying down a nasty pace while Roll was in the back trying to figure out who was driving the train. The guy's mannerisms during his tales crack me up.

I have to admit that is the one time I enjoy listening to him. The montage they put together on his birthday was good. Bob throwing his bike in Cardiff, and then the mechanic leaning out of the car (with the door open) to fix a mechanical and falling out, taking the rider with him.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Boleyn said:
I have to admit that is the one time I enjoy listening to him. The montage they put together on his birthday was good. Bob throwing his bike in Cardiff, and then the mechanic leaning out of the car (with the door open) to fix a mechanical and falling out, taking the rider with him.

The guy isn't an idiot and he can be entertaining--especially telling such stories. But this year he was a complete shill. Maybe my memory from 05 and before is bad, but I don't recall that from back then. I found it extremely disappointing.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
They didn't fawn over Lance back then, in spite of American coverage. Keep in mind that there would still be no coverage in the US without Lance's championship run. I had to follow the tour on the internet prior to 2000.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
They didn't fawn over Lance back then, in spite of American coverage. Keep in mind that there would still be no coverage in the US without Lance's championship run. I had to follow the tour on the internet prior to 2000.

Quite probably true. But i actually watched more of the racing on my computer this year than I did on my 60" HDTV. I found the daily stage thread here more interesting by far than what was being broadcast.
I understand that flogging the Lance angle is necessary but they could have kept it to the 05 level.
Actually I just read an article that while the viewership is up 50% from last year it is only up 1% from 05 even though Versus is in 12 million more homes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
....There is an unsavory aspect of devotees of any endeavor, an arrogance of presumed authority, an arrogance of perceived superiority. It is very off-putting to the enthusiastic neophyte. And it is resplendently displayed within this forum....

I think the above comment is what I feel is a missed oppurtunity by Versus.

I can appreciate its commercial interest so of course they are going to go OTT on Lance, but he is their cash cow.

But I feel that they restricted themselves with their format . Perhaps they could have concentrated on other aspects eg: team tactics - which would help the "enthusaistic neophyte" to appreciate and learn about the sport - not just the Tour.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
the fact that it was in HD I give it a 7 and the fact that it is on TV alone 7

Roll - 8
Sherwinn - 9
Liggett - 6
Hummer - 4
Andreau - 2
Ventura - 6

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I think the above comment is what I feel is a missed oppurtunity by Versus.

I can appreciate its commercial interest so of course they are going to go OTT on Lance, but he is their cash cow.

But I feel that they restricted themselves with their format . Perhaps they could have concentrated on other aspects eg: team tactics - which would help the "enthusaistic neophyte" to appreciate and learn about the sport - not just the Tour.

That's exactly it, Dr. Mas.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
RigelKent said:
Quite probably true. But i actually watched more of the racing on my computer this year than I did on my 60" HDTV. I found the daily stage thread here more interesting by far than what was being broadcast.
I understand that flogging the Lance angle is necessary but they could have kept it to the 05 level.
Actually I just read an article that while the viewership is up 50% from last year it is only up 1% from 05 even though Versus is in 12 million more homes.

VS/OLN changed their format from hunting shows to more of a sports channel. Most notably Mixed Martial Arts which has become precariously popular around the world. This is the most significant change in their formatting.

But make no mistake. Lance's return has re-invigorated the base that they are giving to cycling. It is a big win for American cycling fans going forward, as we will surely be treated to increased coverage.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
.....But make no mistake. Lance's return has re-invigorated the base that they are giving to cycling. It is a big win for American cycling fans going forward, as we will surely be treated to increased coverage.

Of course - anything Lance will bring in the interest - in fact his thread here dwarfs everything and is after going over 50000 hits.

But the format could be worked on I believe. I have added this link - if you check through the SBS coverage it gives broad coverage and shows many of the smaller and interesting bits that help educate new viewers to become new fans.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Another gem from Bob Roll. Today he said that Contador's weakness used to be the ITT.

I guess he doesn't know that Alberto's first professional win was an ITT in the Tour of Poland (stage 8 2003) and his second stage win was another ITT in Tour of the Basque Country (strong competition there, stage 6 2005)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The coverage was not good. I give the actual race coverage a 2, simply because there was not much...too many commercials. I give the commentation a 3...too much LA all the time.

Think for a second...if the NFL tried to broadcast their sport in the same format as the TDF...what would happen? Outrage from the hardcore fans. By dumbing something down you do not necessarily make it attractive to the neophyte!!

It seems the only people who were ok with the coverage tend to be LA fans. I can see this...however...for a lot of us there is much more to cycling than LA...and there always will be.