• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France Femmes 2022 (July 24th-31st)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If AVV is having 'very necessary nature breaks' as reported by Eurosport I'm assuming she's got gastroenteritis (hasn't been able to eat until today etc) then surely she should retire? If i have D-V I can't return to work until I've been symptom free for 48 hours! (infection control!!!) Pffffft *** is the same no matter whether you're a pro rider or not.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
The language used by the riders in their pre and post race interviews put the male riders to shame.

The best analysis of the Cavalli/Frain crash came from Albert Timmer DS from DSM on Sporza who was in car number one and had an unimpeded view of the incident - He stated the crash was unavoidable after Frain's support rider did not see the crash until it was too late - The support rider swerved at the last minute and ended up in the ditch and Frain had no chance to stop in time.

I'll also add that these crashes happen all the time in the men's peleton - An example is in the 2022 Giro - S.Yates who was caught behind a crash, managed to brake in time BUT unfortunately a rider further down the peleton reacted too slowly crashed into Yates from behind and ruined his race.

My god, who was the Liv woman, who stood there in the corner?! Is it really so bad, that they don't know how to behave in these situations because they have no experience?

according to one news article I read on the Frain crash, there are some riders who are debuting at WWT level in this race, have to admit cant be bothered to check all 140+ riders palmares, but there is a shockingly wide level of experience on show.

I do wonder if that might then result in some of the pro riders riding more on the front to keep out of trouble than would be the case in the mens race.

Reactions: Andy262 and BR2
Hardly surprising given Macdonald and Rowe basically seem to just say memorised phrases every single commentary.

maillot jaune...yellow jersey...you could almost set up a drinking game by how predictable some of their phrases are getting.

with Marty its odd because he only seems to turn it on for stuff like this, get him commentating on some unknown CX or Crit race on youtube with a handful watching, and he can be quite interesting to listen to,and isnt anywhere near as repetitive

whilst Ive noticed certainly on these style of full coverage races, Dani clearly memorises a couple of go to lines or phrases to say, but just repeats them constantly, though the daft thing is she does notice sometimes key important things happening in the race, she just needs to call more of them out, then wouldnt need to rely on the cliche stuff that AVV is a good climber etc etc

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
The language used by the riders in their pre and post race interviews put the male riders to shame.

The best analysis of the Cavalli/Frain crash came from Albert Timmer DS from DSM on Sporza who was in car number one and had an unimpeded view of the incident - He stated the crash was unavoidable after Frain's support rider did not see the crash until it was too late - The support rider swerved at the last minute and ended up in the ditch and Frain had no chance to stop in time.

I'll also add that these crashes happen all the time in the men's peleton - An example is in the 2022 Giro - S.Yates who was caught behind a crash, managed to brake in time BUT unfortunately a rider further down the peleton reacted too slowly crashed into Yates from behind and ruined his race.

Best because you agree with it ? or Best because its actually the right analysis ?

because in those TV pictures from the road angle (giving the same road view as Albert Timmer would have had) Frain clearly stops pedalling in reaction to the crash ahead of her, so she saw what was clearly happening, now whether they could stop in time is up for debate, clearly riders ahead of them nearer the crash did manage to stop, though werent travelling anywhere near as fast as Frain & co were.

But theres a difference between stopping, slowing down alot, slowing down a wee bit, and "I thought I was going to make it through (at 50kph). And then there was a rider right in front and, yeah, you’ve probably seen the replay, "

so Frain had no chance to stop in time,agreed probably not,but it wasnt the only option on the table though that would have lessened the impact of the crash, and she chose by far the worst option available to her to attempt to ride through it.

I think if a crash like that happened in the mens pro peloton, the rider would have been kicked off the tour, and wouldnt have had any complaints about that.

according to one news article I read on the Frain crash, there are some riders who are debuting at WWT level in this race, have to admit cant be bothered to check all 140+ riders palmares, but there is a shockingly wide level of experience on show.

I do wonder if that might then result in some of the pro riders riding more on the front to keep out of trouble than would be the case in the mens race.

Yeah, but the teams of the riders referenced here, Parkhotel Valkenburg and Liv Racing Xstra, have plenty of experience in big races. Liv itself is a World Tour team. It's really only the 4 French UCI Teams that don't ride many WWT races (Cofidis, Arkea, St. Michel-Auber93 and Stade Rochelais-Charente-Maritime).

Reactions: Monte Serra
Best because you agree with it ? or Best because its actually the right analysis ?

because in those TV pictures from the road angle (giving the same road view as Albert Timmer would have had) Frain clearly stops pedalling in reaction to the crash ahead of her, so she saw what was clearly happening, now whether they could stop in time is up for debate, clearly riders ahead of them nearer the crash did manage to stop, though werent travelling anywhere near as fast as Frain & co were.

But theres a difference between stopping, slowing down alot, slowing down a wee bit, and "I thought I was going to make it through (at 50kph). And then there was a rider right in front and, yeah, you’ve probably seen the replay, "

so Frain had no chance to stop in time,agreed probably not,but it wasnt the only option on the table though that would have lessened the impact of the crash, and she chose by far the worst option available to her to attempt to ride through it.

I think if a crash like that happened in the mens pro peloton, the rider would have been kicked off the tour, and wouldnt have had any complaints about that.
this!

Reactions: Rackham
Yeah, but the teams of the riders referenced here, Parkhotel Valkenburg and Liv Racing Xstra, have plenty of experience in big races. Liv itself is a World Tour team. It's really only the 4 French UCI Teams that don't ride many WWT races (Cofidis, Arkea, St. Michel-Auber93 and Stade Rochelais-Charente-Maritime).

I looked up Frain who I didn't know and she doesn't sound like the most experienced rider though, more a late starter at least in professional terms?

I don't know who that Liv rider was.

I've watched the vision from multiple angles and there was no way that Frain could stop in time because she was coming back from the convoy at greater speed then the peleton - After her support rider who was bringing her back to the peleton failed to see the crash until the last minute veered left and ended up in a ditch and another rider in that train crashed on the right hand side - I think the opinion Alfred Timmer an ex WT of many years experience, a current DS who was in the lead car directly behind the crash has validity - Finally, there has been no action from the commissars who have decided it was a racing incident and have moved on - It is time you moved on and enjoy the race.

Great stage. Problems with crashes, and definitely a shame to see some of the riders that were affected, felt bad for Lippert as she had looked so strong on the Côte de Mutigny but wound up losing 2 minutes. A shame that Niewiadoma crashed there meaning she wasn't present on that climb (I suspected that may have been the case when she didn't attack on it, because as we all know, if the road goes uphill, the probability that Kasia Niewiadoma will attack approaches 1) and that does mean that we did see a large number of major contenders crash today (although simultaneously the fact that we didn't lose any more of them is a good thing!). Some weakness shown by van Vleuten that means she will have to fight back if she has the legs and the health come the weekend, high levels of aggression from riders like Kasia and Elisa, some still somewhat unclear or counterintuitive tactics from SD Worx which means they aren't going to be straight up dominating the race as they have done in many stage races over the past few years and there is definitely a chance that Moolman-Pasio and Vollering's aims will tread all over one another come Le Markstein and Super-Planche. Some amusement at Dani Christmas describing 300m as being the right distance to sprint from for Kasia "if it is flat"... sorry Dani, but no distance is the right distance to sprint for Kasia when it's flat. And dramatic final sprint with Cille coming from super deep in the final kilometre and doing an actual rather than imagined threading-the-needle act to find the space she needed.

Overall then, we need to judge the stage. When reviewing the stage, I concluded that Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig won the stage and then a microphone was placed in front of her. I award a million bajillion stars.

I looked up Frain who I didn't know and she doesn't sound like the most experienced rider though, more a late starter at least in professional terms?

I don't know who that Liv rider was.
Yeah, Frain is late to pro cycling and is only on a trial/guest slot with Park Hotel by her winning a relatively weak nationals where Gigante and Gannon were marked out of the race.

The Danish ES commentators wanted me to believe García was involved in the crash just before Mutigny, but I'm pretty sure that was Christina Schweinberger. But García definitely didn't start the climb in a great position.

Fortunetaly nothing serious happened to Lippert, cause that would be a bit of horror story, when her friends Clara Koppenburg and Laura Süßemilch are both currently injured.

Vollering was almost hit by a commissaire''s car after the finish, while she was being interviewed by NOS.

Marta Cavalli has taken part of FDJ's victory celebration after the stage, so hopefully that head trauma isn't bothering her too much.

Valkenburg wants to host the start of the race in 2024, but there is no reason that ASO should turn this into a modern version of Tour de la CEE.

Yeah, Frain is late to pro cycling and is only on a trial/guest slot with Park Hotel by her winning a relatively weak nationals where Gigante and Gannon were marked out of the race.

I'm pretty sure she's on an 18-month full contract, and she also did pretty well in Vuelta Andalucia and the Thüringen Ladies Tour before she signed with PHV. But she was a guest rider at TIBCO last year.

TRENDING THREADS