• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Tour de France manager jailed on blood doping"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im not sure i understand this. Rasmussen was caught doping while he was banned:confused:

That's how ambitious he is. There's no excuse for letting yourself go!

No, seriously, the way I understand it, MR owned the centrifuge with Kohl and somebody else, and he was accused for renting it to others, but this could not be proved. In Austria, where the thing apparently was located, owning it is not illegal, whereas letting other use it is.

Maybe the reason for blooddoping during quarantine was to lay the baseline for the biological passport. For example give the impression that he has a naturally high hematocrit value.

TubularBills said:
Sure does appear that way Hitch, and I share your confusion?

perhaps it has some logic, in that he was banned for violating passport protocol regarding whereabouts and notification. I assume that evidence and or witness testimony could implicate him or provide evidence that he actually doped or is/was preparing to dope for his comeback? Which may be proven to be an additional violation. I'm hopeful that someone with an understanding of the rules will be able to clear the confusion? anyone?

Well that is surprising to say. During the Tour, when he was caught while others who were also doping werent, i bet Rasmussen thought the world was out to get him.

Well, just because your paranoid doesnt mean nobody is out to get you. Cycling has big doping problems in the big time as it is, and hes getting talked to about doping when he wasnt even competing.

HL2037 said:
That's how ambitious he is. There's no excuse for letting yourself go!

No, seriously, the way I understand it, MR owned the centrifuge with Schumacher and somebody else, and he was accused for renting it to others, but this could not be proved. In Austria, where the thing apparently was located, owning it is not illegal, whereas letting other use it is.

Now it turns out that MR gave blood in 2008. Probably preparing for his expected comeback. I don't know if this is illegal in itself. I would think it is not doping until he reinjects the blood during a race?

But then both Basso and Valverde got bans for this . There was never any hardcore evidence that they used the blood they gave to Fuentes (yes i know they were both big dopers, but there wasnt any proof that they reinjected)

PS this probably deserves its own thread.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
But then both Basso and Valverde got bans for this . There was never any hardcore evidence that they used the blood they gave to Fuentes (yes i know they were both big dopers, but there wasnt any proof that they reinjected)

PS this probably deserves its own thread.

I guess some new proof came up - before there was only evidence that he was part owner of the machine. Now there is also evidence that he actually used it himself.

As a curiosity I can mention that MR has threatened to withdraw from "dancing with the stars", because the TV channel hosting the show is the same which aired the program where the new evidence was revealed.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Hitch, you quoted me for this while I was editing it:

Now it turns out that MR gave blood in 2008. Probably preparing for his expected comeback. I don't know if this is illegal in itself. I would think it is not doping until he reinjects the blood during a race?

I will withdraw that quote, of course it would be messing with the biological passport to inject blood at any point. And as you said: Basso's case shows that even withdrawing the blood without reinjecting will be punished with a ban.

TRENDING THREADS