• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France - rest day1 round up

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
It will be similar to Hautacam in 2008. Luz Ardiden isn't the most hardest climb but after the Tourmalet and that other climb, the legs should be burning. The fact that it is the first big mountain stage means we won't see massive attacks...imo
It will be interesting to see who goes on a break on Thursday and how much time they are allowed by Europcar and Rabobank before they reach the bottom of the climb at Ancizan. The climb to La Hourquette is a bit tougher than the traditional access to the Tourmalet :( the col d'Aspin) would have been. In this Tour will have not spoken much about descenders for some reason but both La Hourquette and the Tourmalet are amazing descents in that direction with no flat to speak off before the climbs. That kind of terrain allows for daring moves, IMO

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
If Contador is out or much below his normal level - if I was Lepoard I would let Evans go gain a minute or slightly more on stage 12

then spend the next stages working over the BMC Team wait for the Alps and Fränk and Andy ride off into the sunset.

PS the Martin people who said the time was wrong have we seen how Tony does after going deep on all Mountain stages in a 3 week tour? Nope his normal TT form will not be the TONY we see.

movingtarget said:
Contador seems to think that the Pyrenees won't be decisive. If he stays in the race he might mark Andy Schleck and hope to recover for the Alps. Based on what has happened already I don't think Andy Schleck will ever have better chance of beating Contador. I think the Schlecks have to go on the attack in the Pyrenees, thay can't wait for the Alps.

A few days ago I thought Sanchez and Gesink were finished but I think they can still figure especially with the retirements and also if Evans or one of the Schlecks have an off day. Basso has been doing a Menchov impression so far, hard to know whether he will figure. As usual the first real mountain stage will be a good indicator of climbing form. I expect Martin to drop back but will be interested to see how Velits, Fulsgang and other potential top 10 riders go. Whether they can make a push for the top 5 or not. An injured Kloeden and also Leipheimer could also improve without threatening the podium although the TT course looks like being a good one for Leipheimer. He could still finish in the top 10 if he is consistent in the mountains. As usual Evans is the hardest to predict. Can he regain his old climbing form or will he drop big time on the first hard mountain stage ? Evans will obviously be hoping that the Schlecks hold the attacks in the Pyrenees but I can't see it happening that way.
I read the same thing you mentioned : Contador speaking about not thinking the Pyrenees to be a big focus for him. I don't believe what riders say to journalists about what "they plan to do or not to do " moreover, riders have to respond to the situation as they develop and that is not always according to scenario. One thing is probably certain. The Pyrenees will test the power of the various team to "harden" the race for their competitors. At the moment team Leopard-Trek looks like the freshest and the luckiest

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Dedelou said:
It will be interesting to see who goes on a break on Thursday and how much time they are allowed by Europcar and Rabobank before they reach the bottom of the climb at Ancizan. The climb to La Hourquette is a bit tougher than the traditional access to the Tourmalet :( the col d'Aspin) would have been. In this Tour will have not spoken much about descenders for some reason but both La Hourquette and the Tourmalet are amazing descents in that direction with no flat to speak off before the climbs. That kind of terrain allows for daring moves, IMO

Europcar and rabo wont be controlling the break on thursday. I think it will be mainly leopard, with good help from euskaltel, liquigas and BMC. they will be ruthless with the breakaway especially leopard. they will really crank it up on the climbs.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
the first week just shows how important a good team on the flat is. the main reason why schlecks and evans have kept out of trouble is because they have a great classics like team on the flats which will always protect them.

First: The first pages of this thread are hilarious. B.broadhurst is a loony or a troll. Very amusing though. I love it when people try to talk sense inte these people, but it's just impossible :)
Would be hilarious if Thomas wins white and Velits attacks in the mountains though. The idea of Libertine with an HTC avatar is just too good to be true :D

Second: No more severe crashes please. Just this.

dlwssonic said:
the first week just shows how important a good team on the flat is. the main reason why schlecks and evans have kept out of trouble is because they have a great classics like team on the flats which will always protect them.

I don't know man. It's easy to say they are right, but personally I think it's just luck.

I don't do avatar bets, specially since mine is for a rider retired for over 15 years, but anyone who loses one of these bets should be made to make this their avatar:

i_heart_lance_tshirt-d235302212009993051qw5i_210.jpg

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I don't know man. It's easy to say they are right, but personally I think it's just luck.

Its a mix of both, but it just cant be right that 7-9 favorites crash and abandon or get injured. Weak team or not that just isnt right. I would by far prefer broad, flat and boring highways for the entire first week if I would have all (or most) favorites ready and unharmed for the mountains.

Cimber said:
Its a mix of both, but it just cant be right that 7-9 favorites crash and abandon or get injured. Weak team or not that just isnt right. I would by far prefer broad, flat and boring highways for the entire first week if I would have all (or most) favorites ready and unharmed for the mountains.

are u Bob Stapelton? Only joking I can see what u mean.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
First: The first pages of this thread are hilarious. B.broadhurst is a loony or a troll. Very amusing though. I love it when people try to talk sense inte these people, but it's just impossible :)
Would be hilarious if Thomas wins white and Velits attacks in the mountains though. The idea of Libertine with an HTC avatar is just too good to be true :D

Second: No more severe crashes please. Just this.

B.broadhurst sounds like a huge contador fan boy who is trying to make us all believe as if contador is in no trouble at all.

Midnightfright said:
Yeah a large portion is luck but it certainly helps having a good team supporting u.

True. It must be said that Leopard and BMC have been at the front the most of the favourites. The problem is that all the others want to be there too and that's what causing a lot of crashes as well. Not everyone can be at the front....everyone wants to be at the front though...

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
True. It must be said that Leopard and BMC have been at the front the most of the favourites. The problem is that all the others want to be there too and that's what causing a lot of crashes as well. Not everyone can be at the front....everyone wants to be at the front though...

yes exactly. Everyone wants to be on the front and that inevitably causes crashes, and the reason everyone wants to be in the front is cos of the route of the first week.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:

If they put a mountain stage in the first few stages then that would improve the chances of riders reaching the mountains. Waiting until the 12th stage seems to be too long.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, lets just race the opening roads on straight, pan flat roads... :rolleyes:

The route has been mostly fine. it has been stupidity, recklessness and some bad luck which has caused crashes.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yeah, lets just race the opening roads on straight, pan flat roads... :rolleyes:

The route has been mostly fine. it has been stupidity, recklessness and some bad luck which has caused crashes.

Relecklessness is bound to happen when the route in the first week is like this one.

I can live with pan flat roads the first week if that keeps the excitement for the 2. and 3. week intact. Rather a boring first week than a boring 2. and 3.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
There have always been crahs, don't act like this year is that much worse then previous years. There have been years like this before. It's just part of the game and it will always be part of the game. Thankfully nobody got really seriously injured.

feel free to refresh my memory cos I can remember a year where like 70% of the main contenders crashed and either abandoned or were injured in a way that took them out of the GC.

auscyclefan94 said:

Yep. Most of the crashes have been caused by the riders and the racing has been good. I think the course has been a good one. The riders all know about riding on narrow roads from the classics. It's the idiot crashes caused by vehicles that have added to the problems. Hopefully the mountains will sort out the nervousness and risk taking of the first week.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Yep. Most of the crashes have been caused by the riders and the racing has been good. I think the course has been a good one. The riders all know about riding on narrow roads from the classics. It's the idiot crashes caused by vehicles that have added to the problems. Hopefully the mountains will sort out the nervousness and risk taking of the first week.

a mtf in the first week can generally help with the nerves.
Nerves have been a big reason for all these crashes.

TRENDING THREADS