• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Top 10 since 1998 - any change?

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
1998 was the year the Festina scandal broke, and the year we were promised a "fresh start" in the fight against doping. Since then, 14 Grands Boucles have been completed, but looking at the Top 10 of each year, has anything changed?

Well, help me find out, by contributing to this article, which I have started on Wikipedia (currently hosted in my sandbox):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:TSawala/sandbox

Note that the color scheme for each rider does not distinguish between an offense before, during or after the Tour where he has finished in the top 10. For example, Roland Meier tested positive for EPO in 2001, but his 7th place finish in the 1998 tour is marked in orange as a result. Michael Boogerd, 5th in the 1998 tour, was never convicted of doping, so his result is not colored. However, there are relevant reports of allegations, so they are included in the notes section.

Please provide references in the "Notes" section, and please use the correct wikipedia format for references. Don't just cite rumors you have just read somewhere online, but do include relevant news articles etc.

Please only edit the "Notes" section for the first time a rider appears, and make a reference to that year in the "Notes" section of any later years.

Please keep the notes as concise as possible. Most of the riders have their own articles (often without mentioning doping), so please add more detail there, if you feel the need to do so.

Thanks very much for your help! I hope we can complete the list in a few days, and submit it as a wikipedia article.

enCYCLOpedia said:
1998 was the year the Festina scandal broke, and the year we were promised a "fresh start" in the fight against doping. Since then, 14 Grands Boucles have been completed, but looking at the Top 10 of each year, has anything changed?

Well, help me find out, by contributing to this article, which I have started on Wikipedia (currently hosted in my sandbox):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:TSawala/sandbox

Note that the color scheme for each rider does not distinguish between an offense before, during or after the Tour where he has finished in the top 10. For example, Roland Meier tested positive for EPO in 2001, but his 7th place finish in the 1998 tour is marked in orange as a result. Michael Boogerd, 5th in the 1998 tour, was never convicted of doping, so his result is not colored. However, there are relevant reports of allegations, so they are included in the notes section.

Please provide references in the "Notes" section, and please use the correct wikipedia format for references. Don't just cite rumors you have just read somewhere online, but do include relevant news articles etc.

Please only edit the "Notes" section for the first time a rider appears, and make a reference to that year in the "Notes" section of any later years.

Please keep the notes as concise as possible. Most of the riders have their own articles (often without mentioning doping), so please add more detail there, if you feel the need to do so.

Thanks very much for your help! I hope we can complete the list in a few days, and submit it as a wikipedia article.

Hope this helps http://www.dopeology.org/

TRENDING THREADS