• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France: two stages riders without ears

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Looks like 2 stages of TdF without radios here's the google translation:
The riders participating in the Tour de France should be in two rounds without 'ears' could see save. Team and rider can not remotely communicate with each other. . This has led the international cycling union (UCI) Thursday announced during board discussions in Lausanne.

. These are the stages Limoges - Issoudun (July 14) and Vittel - Colmar (17 July), two trips which, because the profile is not of great value for the rankings appear to be. The how and why behind the decision, the UCI not disclosed.

here's the original in Dutch
http://www.sportweek.nl/wielrennen/100155/Tour_de_France_twee_etappes_zonder_oortjes

Yes, I just posted this on the TDF squad thread.

Was always on the cards that the ASO would make a limited introduction to see how it plays out.
July 14th. An attempt to ensure a French Bastille breakaway win?

The Vosges stage could prove very exciting. Although, as with most of this Tour's hilly stages, the final climb is a long way from the finish, it's tough stage by Vosges standards.

* Km 46.0 - Côte de Xertigny - 2.0 km climb to 5.3 % - Category 3
* Km 105.0 - Col de la Schlucht - 8.9 km climb to 4.2 % - Category 2
* Km 138.5 - Col du Platzerwasel - 8.7 km climb to 7.6 % - Category 1
* Km 165.5 - Col du Bannstein - 2.1 km climb to 5.1 % - Category 3
* Km 179.5 - Col du Firstplan - 8.4 km climb to 5.4 % - Category 2

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, no prizes for guessing why they picked Bastille Day, but I'm still interested to see if there really is a marked difference in the racing.

I can just imagine what will go on in the team cars! there will be yelling and screaming! i think we will see a lot of riders dropping back to the cars for instruction.It will make the riders think for themselves for a change.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
No earpieces=real racing

This will force serious contenders to stay in the game and ahead of trouble. Given time you'd see less pure climbers and more all round riders, as the major tours used to sort out. On the other hand; the organizers will have to get roads cleared of hazards or they'll warrant a serious rider boycott.
Oldman

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
fergnago said:
.It will make the riders think for themselves for a change.

HA, do you still think they are capable of doing that? It's like stealing a calculator from a high schooler doing math. "erm, how am I supposed to add and subtract without one"

Anyway, both stages have 'escape' written all over it. So I guess ASO are hoping that Voeckler and Moncoutie respectively attack in stage A and B, after which the peloton is at a loss about time differences. Since no one can figure at what speed to ride to recapture them, they'll have secured 2 french victories :D

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, I just posted this on the TDF squad thread.

Was always on the cards that the ASO would make a limited introduction to see how it plays out.
July 14th. An attempt to ensure a French Bastille breakaway win?

The Vosges stage could prove very exciting. Although, as with most of this Tour's hilly stages, the final climb is a long way from the finish, it's tough stage by Vosges standards.

* Km 46.0 - Côte de Xertigny - 2.0 km climb to 5.3 % - Category 3
* Km 105.0 - Col de la Schlucht - 8.9 km climb to 4.2 % - Category 2
* Km 138.5 - Col du Platzerwasel - 8.7 km climb to 7.6 % - Category 1
* Km 165.5 - Col du Bannstein - 2.1 km climb to 5.1 % - Category 3
* Km 179.5 - Col du Firstplan - 8.4 km climb to 5.4 % - Category 2

Two very different stages. Should provide for some interesting testing. Personally, I have two different takes: 1. Will result in very boring racing. The peleton will apply the grips the whole way. 2. The Mountain Stage will result in an unusual advantage for the climbers. The one that gets away will claim an incredible amount of time.

Who really cares, radios or no radios, but don't you think that some one from each team will be standing on every hill giving the time differentials? Here is a summer job worth seeking.

reubenr

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how this works...a few of you have commented on the riders having a hissy about the safety aspect...but isn't there usually the referees car and others at the back of a breakaway and the peleton, so worse case scenario if someone was to fall and not be able to get up they would be seen and assisted quite quickly? Or even if they had a mechanical failure?

Also isn't there a person on a motorbike giving them time updates? Which I thought came from referees car....:D

I'm all for this. I think it's great, and agree with Hinault's statements on radios.

I think the stage to Issoudun we're going to see some early fliers, but then the last 50km or even longer we'll see an all out blitz either from the entire peloton to chase anyone down, or to insure no one gets too far away.

Stage 13 is going to be interesting as we're very likely to see a train or two (Astana?) doing what they can to discourage attacks as they would on other stages. But there's a very good chance pure climbers will attack early, and often.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
This shouldn't be a problem for Armstrong, didn't he turn pro when radio's weren't around or seldom were they used?

Anyway I think it is a great idea. Nothing wrong with trying something new. Even on the stage to Issoudun, it would be interesting if one of the favourites got a flat.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
This shouldn't be a problem for Armstrong, didn't he turn pro when radio's weren't around or seldom were they used?

Anyway I think it is a great idea. Nothing wrong with trying something new. Even on the stage to Issoudun, it would be interesting if one of the favourites got a flat.

Just like Jens Voigt... I think back in his days he used to use smoke signals (obviously in his case from burning rubber on French tarmac)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ban Race radios

All races should be without radios because then it would stop people avoiding to race because they have calculated the time differences. It is safer also not to have them. Any accidents can be picked up by TV anyway.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
fergnago said:
I can just imagine what will go on in the team cars! there will be yelling and screaming! i think we will see a lot of riders dropping back to the cars for instruction.It will make the riders think for themselves for a change.

I fear, the riders are not used to think for theirselves to race and make a brake.
It would be fine to see the riders own personality and risk-taking. The race wouldn´t be reduced to a "manager-game" oder "video game" as Jens Voigt said.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
"I can see it now". Officials running up to Lance to see if he has a race radio, then Lance hot footing it to the motor home to hide in the toilet for 20 minutes. When he finally comes out he says " what race radio".:eek:

TRENDING THREADS