• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour De France: Unchained aka that netflix thingy

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True. He actually ended up being pretty endearing to me.
I actually didn't find O'Connor on likeable whatsoever. He really seems like the kind of person who would benefit from intensive therapy to work out his own demons. He is likely quite difficult to coach, but I think he will find his way.

I think when you start assembling all the data points of interviews, on bike behavior, behind the scenes stuff (possibly staged to a degree), there are certainly some riders that come across as generally nicer people. Fabio seems pretty decent most of the time. Pidcock comes across as a very self-interested douche.

There is of course confirmation bias and any other number of lenses we look through. I'm not sure how much Netflix series like this changes people's minds, or reinforce the opinions. For me, for riders that I was not really thinking about and had no preformed opinion (O'connor, Phillipson, some team managers), it was pretty interesting.

My thoughts are similar to many here, in terms of things I liked/disliked about the series, but overall I thought it was definitely worth watching.
- One of the things I disliked about season 1 was the 'fake' post-recorded race commentary they used, so I was glad to see them using a few more snippets of real commentary during the race this time. On the other hand Orla's contributions weren't my favourite, thankfully I'm not in a part of the world with coverage from Eurosport or whoever they are now.
- The show was far better for the inclusion of Pogi, of course, although I'm guessing some of his pieces to the camera were recorded after the race finished so he looks understandably subdued. But instead of being the enemy in the background of season 1 it's good to have more focus on him. Sometimes I find it hard to warm to crushing displays of superiority like we saw from him earlier this season but this was a reminder that he's human just like everyone else. Seeing him apologise to teammates after cracking one can't help wishing better for him this year.
- Clearly Pidcock and O'Connor didn't care if they came across as unlikeable and I'm not sure what the management of Alpecin were thinking with their 'hard men of cycling' routine.
- As opposed to Pidcock and O'Connor, Hindley and Carlos Rodríguez really came across as the sort of leaders one would want to ride for.
- Enjoyed the Mohoric win and interview ofc. Also the Tibopino farewell, although it seemed they were really trying to drum up the Madiot-Plugge drama, with Madiot raging about how he wouldn't tolerate anyone badmouthing his riders... then his retaliation boils down to pointing a beer in his direction after the race.

I was a bit surprised to see a very positive article from David Walsh on season two, I guess I assumed journalists would view this sort of series more dubiously given their regular involvement with the participants and probably better insight into what has been edited/exaggerated. It's behind a paywall but here's the opening snippet:

Forty-two years have passed since my first visit to the Tour de France. Second-to-last stage of the 1982 race was into Aulnay-sous-Bois. Sean Kelly, the man we had come to see, got into the winning break that Saturday afternoon and as the best sprinter in a small group, he couldn’t lose. But he did. That’s sport. Next day in the centre of Paris, he asked his girlfriend to pay for our lunch. From a reluctant spender, this was true remorse.

I haven’t been to every Tour since then, just most of them. The race is less incredible now but more enjoyable, even if today’s sprinter Jasper Philipsen is not likely to pay for lunch after a bad day. After four decades, a certain familiarity with the Tour may be expected. Well, watching the second season of Netflix’s Tour de France: Unchained last week, it felt like I’d never been to the race. The series is that good.

For any film director, it’s not difficult to make the Tour look good. La belle France takes care of that. It is the storytelling that is extraordinary, explaining as it does the mystery of the Tour to those coming to it for the first time while providing compelling insight for those who think they know the race. Most of all, the eight episodes explore the humanity of those involved. These are young athletes prepared to tell us what they’re thinking, sometimes seeming immature, uncool, but always real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Violet Smith
I watched it quite late, but I enjoyed it. Didn't watch the first season but I found the chronology slightly confusing at times, though I understand why they did it (though they then went stage by stage at the end? ). Very easy watch, though.

The worst bit by far was the rider + girlfriend chats, with the possible exception of Urska bc she is a cyclist and could speak as a cyclist and Cav's wife Peta because they have a much more TV-friendly dynamic than the others.

They painted villains pretty explicitly with Alpecin and Plugge. Bora came across as the nice guys, as did CRod and Gall. French guys came across well too, and I didn't realise Asgreen was so weird.

Mohoric probably the most eloquent rider in the show, and holds the camera really well. Him and Cavendish are the most natural interviewees. I personally didn't find O'Connorthat bad, and it kind of explained his Giro Livigno outburst to me. He just really struggles to keep control of emotions, felt quite sorry for him. A good course of CBT would probably help, if he isn't doing something like that already. I also liked the Brailsford cameo, had like one minute of screen time and immediately just looked like the most fear-inducing arsehole boss you can have (bullying allegations not surprising, I must say!)

Race footage fantastic and makes it a good watch in and of itself. Basically the best highlights compilation you can get.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Cant wait for the Netflix thing to come out next year. I especially wonder how they gonne play the no balls etc of Evenpoel towards Vingegaard and how they gonne portray that and angle that its possbiel different ones they can go for and the new comaraderie of Pogacar and Evenpoel.

Considering its the most packed TDF in ages its gonne be awesome nevertheless

Reactions: Sandisfan
Cant wait for the Netflix thing to come out next year. I especially wonder how they gonne play the no balls etc of Evenpoel towards Vingegaard and how they gonne portray that and angle that its possbiel different ones they can go for and the new comaraderie of Pogacar and Evenpoel.

Considering its the most packed TDF in ages its gonne be awesome nevertheless

camera angle for the balls ?