• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2021, France, February 11 - February 14

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sosa the obvious winner here. Bernal looked decent, but I'm impressed by Alaphilippe being able to climb like this, especially at this time of year. Also really impressed by Vansevenant and Jorgenson. Vansevenant took a big lead and still finished strongly, and Jorgenson I thought was too big for this kind of climb. Lutsenko was never gonna win this race, but I'm still disappointed by him. Vlasov should have been much better as well.

This could be Sosa's breakout season. I've been wondering if he hasn't been something of a disappointment, but today he looked very sharp. Vlasov...don't know if he was targeting this race or not, so I'll reserve judgment.

Alaphilippe is an amazing rider. On any given day, he can climb with the best, and win just about any one-day race. He's blown a few chances to win here and there but he is always at the sharp end. He covered that late dig by Bernal and basically, literally, laughed in his face.

Jorgenson is riding like he has something to prove. Love to see that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This could be Sosa's breakout season. I've been wondering if he hasn't been something of a disappointment, but today he looked very sharp. Vlasov...don't know if he was targeting this race or not, so I'll reserve judgment.

Alaphilippe is an amazing rider. On any given day, he can climb with the best, and win just about any one-day race. He's blown a few chances to win here and there but he is always at the sharp end. He covered that late dig by Bernal and basically, literally, laughed in his face.

Jorgenson is riding like he has something to prove. Love to see that.

Taking nothing away from Ala, he had a good race yesterday, but I think Bernal was just testing Ala to see how he was then eased off so as not to drag him up to Sosa when Ala reacted. I think this could be the problem with Remco when he eventually takes on a GT. He won't have much of a team left in the high mountains to help him take on the big guns and relying on ITT's I think won't be good enough. Someone mentioned that Ala would be a good dom for Remco, that I would like to see, world champion domming for a rider not long out of nappies. I think today, DQS will go on the attack to take on INEOS for the win.

Like Escarabajo said, Sosa is unable to replicate this kind of performances on multi-mountain or tough stages. He lacks endurance and I would bet he will be out of INEOS next year.

I was impressed by Carlos Rodriguez, he blew De Plus and pulled for 3/4 KMs.

I'm a bit concerned with Alaphilippe's performance, hope he doesn't show his super-saiyajin form once again

I find it annoying when these riders get their food bags, only to bin half of it at the side of the road. Can't they just go back to the car and get what they want or maybe just take what they want out the bag then bin the rest to one of their helpers further up the road. Suppose if you're in the right place as a spectator, you will be in for a treat with all the freebies getting thrown about.

Taking nothing away from Ala, he had a good race yesterday, but I think Bernal was just testing Ala to see how he was then eased off so as not to drag him up to Sosa when Ala reacted. I think this could be the problem with Remco when he eventually takes on a GT. He won't have much of a team left in the high mountains to help him take on the big guns and relying on ITT's I think won't be good enough. Someone mentioned that Ala would be a good dom for Remco, that I would like to see, world champion domming for a rider not long out of nappies. I think today, DQS will go on the attack to take on INEOS for the win.

Tbf if DQS go all in on Remco in a GT, they can bring the likes of Alaphillippe, Almeida, Knox, Cavagna, Asgreen, Serry and Cattaneo as an example which would be very strong. It won't be Jumbo or Ineos level if you bring that to the Tour but that would likely be a stronger lineup in the Giro or Vuelta.

Why would Remco care about an attack from Bernal 5 minutes behind him?

TRENDING THREADS