• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2021, France, February 11 - February 14

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure Bernal could have gone up the road if Sosa hadn't been there. He looked at ease.
Besides I don't want to see Alaphilippe drop a Bernal in decent form on such a climb, unless Bernal lets him go. That would be to clinical.
Of course not. I think you have seen another race. Bernal was not able to jump behind the back of Ala, even after staying in his wheel. Although he tried... He could only beat him in the sprint, after hiding and resting the final kilometers.

No arguments left ?

Boy, I don't know if you're serious. I don't see any real point in this conversation, because to me it was clear Bernal had two tasks that day: help Sosa get the win, reach as best a result for himself as he could. He did both. He never did anything to lead Alaphilippe to Sosa. He didn't immediately jump when Alaphilippe jumped that one time, because Ala is lot more explosive. (There also was no need to get on Ala's wheel immediately.) It took him like, I don't know, five seconds, to get back. Then he stayed behind Ala, who with all his general explosiveness wasn't able to follow Bernal in the end anymore because he was spent, unlike Bernal, who's just a real climber, and a damn good one.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Boy, I don't know if you're serious. I don't see any real point in this conversation, because to me it was clear Bernal had two tasks that day: help Sosa get the win, reach as best a result for himself as he could. He did both. He never did anything to lead Alaphilippe to Sosa. He didn't immediately jump when Alaphilippe jumped that one time, because Ala is lot more explosive. (There also was no need to get on Ala's wheel immediately.) It took him like, I don't know, five seconds, to get back. Then he stayed behind Ala, who with all his general explosiveness wasn't able to follow Bernal in the end anymore because he was spent, unlike Bernal, who's just a real climber, and a damn good one.
Bernal jumped from behind Alaphilippe's back, a few km from the finish line, but was easily taken back by Ala. You did not mention this. You have indeed seen another race. Bernal's failed attack proves he was not better than Ala.

TRENDING THREADS