• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Langkawi

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Coquard can do more than winning sprints on the road:

20130228_1493.jpg

frogs... never mind.

Stage 9
1 COQUARD Bryan Europcar
2 CHICCHI Francesco Vini Fantini
3 DAVIS Allan Orica GreenEDGE
4 KREDER Raymond Garmin - Sharp
5 SCHNAIDT Fabian Champion System Pro Cycling Team
6 KEOUGH Jacobe UnitedHealthcare Presented by Maxxis
7 MANAN Anuar Synergy Baku Cycling Project
8 PARK Sung Baek KSPO
9 ROGERS Rico Synergy Baku Cycling Project
10 NATEGHI Hossein Tabriz Petrochemical Cycling Team

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Geez, another win for Coquard, this kid is ridiculously good. Did Guardini get dropped?

Because he wins in Langkawi?

These little races don't tell us much. Pippo Pozzato won an Italian race at the beginning of this season and was nowhere during the Omloop het Nieuwsblad.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Who cares about the Omloop, Stijn Vandenbergh almost won it. Anyone really think he'll contend for the victory in any classics? That race was all about the weather.

Eh? It proves Pippo's form wasn't very great yet despite him winning a race already. Of course no top favorite of the cobbled classics wants to peak for that race, but it definitely tells you a lot about the current form of riders.

Besides, Stijn Vandenbergh was Boonen's luitenant during the cobbled classics last year. I'm sure he appreciates Stijn's efforts a lot more than those of Terpstra. All about weather? Omloop has always been a cold race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Not a single contender for the big cobbled Monuments performed in that race, except for Paolini maybe. Everyone was frozen on their bikes. So why pick out Pozzato's result?

Pathetic to start about Terpstra again, dear Lord what a chauvinist you are.

Because Pippo won a race in Italy and people were already regarding him as (top) favorite for the Omloop. ;)

I could've just as easily used Boom as an example. What's pathetic about starting about Terpstra? You're downplaying Stijn Vandenbergh's role in the OPQS team even though he has a more important role, in my opinion, than Terpstra. If you don't know what you're talking about it's better to shut up.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
this is pistolero peaking for april my god:D

pippo was nowhere like basically every favourite for that race lol

Yet he was being touted as a favorite by many because he won a race in Italy.

That's exactly my point you know. The only reason Boonen didn't perform was because of his elbow. Only wimps use weather as an excuse. :eek:

El Pistolero said:
Yet he was being touted as a favorite by many because he won a race in Italy.

That's exactly my point you know. The only reason Boonen didn't perform was because of his elbow. Only wimps use weather as an excuse. :eek:

I don't get it. None of the top contenders delivered in Omloop. Pozzato wasn't more of a favorite than Hagen, Roelandts, Boom etc. and none of those performed.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
I don't get it. None of the top contenders delivered in Omloop. Pozzato wasn't more of a favorite than Hagen, Roelandts, Boom etc. and none of those performed.

Pozzato is just an example, the same goes for Boom and Hushovd. Roelandts rode the final, so I'm not including him.

I'm not criticizing Pippo or anything lol, just that your form doesn't need to be good to win a little race in Italy, Southern France or Malaysia. Especially because all the big guns were in Qatar and Oman.

Hugo Koblet said:
El Pisti doesn't understand the phenomenon of sub zero temperatures that change everything.

Anyway, nice win for Coquard. He appears to be the last sprinter standing in this race.

El Pistolero said:
Pozzato is just an example, the same goes for Boom and Hushovd. Roelandts rode the final, so I'm not including him.

I'm not criticizing Pippo or anything lol, just that your form doesn't need to be good to win a little race in Italy, Southern France or Malaysia. Especially because all the big guns were in Qatar and Oman.

No, but we're arguing that Pozzato isn't necessarily in bad form just because he didn't perform in Omloop, because that would imply that the 135 riders that finished more than 6 minutes down are all in bad form.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
El Pisti doesn't understand the phenomenon of sub zero temperatures that change everything.

Anyway, nice win for Coquard. He appears to be the last sprinter standing in this race.

You're acting like they're all African riders who came to Europe for the very first time and have never seen snow. :eek:

I'm sure Hushovd and EBH can't stand the cold here in Belgium considering they're from the exotic country called Norway... They weren't a factor because they're not in their best shape yet. Everything else is an excuse.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
No, but we're arguing that Pozzato isn't necessarily in bad form just because he didn't perform in Omloop, because that would imply that the 135 riders that finished more than 6 minutes down are all in bad form.

A Pozzato in good shape wouldn't have finished 6 minutes down would he? Pozzato has been bad in a lot of editions of the Omloop already. He's not peaking for February. Nor should he. Omloop isn't really a big indicator for the cobbled classics in April, but it does tell you something about the current form of riders in February. Like last year were Vanmarcke was in better shape than Boonen during the Omloop.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Guardini is sick, food poisoning for alot of teams it seems
Turbo Durbo DNS for the same reason.

"Astana Pro Team rider Andrea Guardini and his teammate Ruslan Tleubayev raced stage nine at the Tour de Langkawi on Friday with their teammates, but after a night with stomach trouble neither was able to contest the sprint finish, and both rolled across the line in Kuala Betang more than a minute behind the winner."

http://proteam-astana.com/en/news/tour-de-langkawi-results-stage-nine

El Pistolero said:
A Pozzato in good shape wouldn't have finished 6 minutes down would he? Pozzato has been bad in a lot of editions of the Omloop already. He's not peaking for February. Nor should he. Omloop isn't really a big indicator for the cobbled classics in April, but it does tell you something about the current form of riders in February. Like last year were Vanmarcke was in better shape than Boonen during the Omloop.

But the same thing can be said for everybody else in the race which means that a) they're all in bad form or b) you can be in good form and still finish 6 minutes down. I find the latter more likely.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
But the same thing can be said for everybody else in the race which means that a) they're all in bad form or b) you can be in good form and still finish 6 minutes down. I find the latter more likely.

Well after the best guys of the race rode away from the rest the race was over. The other guys all stayed in the peloton and that's why they all finished in the same time.

If he was able to follow the leaders he should've done so. When I say bad shape I mean that compared to his peak form though. He's probably where he wants to be right now for February.

Not everyone else in the race was being touted as a favorite by the way. ;)

TRENDING THREADS