Tour de l'Avenir 2016, August 20-27

Last Year
1 Marc Soler
2 Jack Haig +1.09
3 Matvey Mamykin +2.50
4 Sam Oomen +3.18
5 Simone Petilli +3.23
6 Giulio Ciccone +3.56
7 Sindre Lunke +5.12
8 Laurens de Plus +6.12
9 Sebastian Henap +6.56
10 Guillaume Martin +7.25

2016 Route
Stage 1


Stage 2


Stage 3


Stage 4


Stage 5


Stage 6


Stage 7


Stage 8


Startlist
France
1 David GAUDU
2 Mathias LE TURNIER
3 Valentin MADOUAS
4 Aurélien PARET-PEINTRE
5 Nans PETERS
6 Léo VINCENT

Norvège
11 Trond Håkon TRONDSEN
12 Amund Grondahl JANSEN
13 Anders SKAARSETH
14 Tobias FOSS
15 Ole FORFANG
16 Kristoffer HALVORSEN

Grand-Bretagne
21 Gabriel CULLAIGH
22 Tao GEOGHEGAN HART
23 Scott DAVIES
24 James KNOX
25 Jonathan DIBBEN
26 Nathan DRAPER

Italie
31 Vincenzo ALBANESE
32 Giovanni CARBONI
33 Simone COSONNI
34 Matteo FABRO
35 Filippo GANNA
36 Edward RAVASI

Russie
41 Artem NYCH
42 Nikolay CHERKASOV
43 Pavel SIVAKOV
44 Alexandr VLASOV
45 Sergey ROZIN
46 Evgeny ZOTOV

Danemark
51 Niklas EG
52 Mads WÜRTZ SCHMIDT
53 Mads Baadsgaard RAHBEK
54 Jonas Gregaard WILSLY
55 Michael Carbel SVENDGAARD
56 Emil Nygaard VINJEBO

Slovénie
61 Gorazd PER
62 Matic GROSELJ
63 Ziga RUCIGAJ
64 David PER
65 Gasper KATRASNIK
66 Jon BOZIC

Belgique
71 Nathan VAN HOOYDONCK
72 Harm VANHOUCKE
73 Steff CRAS
74 Benjamin DECLERCQ
75 Thomas VEREECKEN
76 Rémy MERTZ

Pays-Bas
81 Lennard HOFSTEDE
82 Joris NIEUWENHUIS
83 Jan MAAS
84 Peter LENDERINK
85 Antwan TOLHOEK
86 Jasper DE LAAT

Suisse
91 Kilian FRANKINY
92 Patrick MUELLER
93 Gian FRIESECKE
94 Martin SCHAEPPI
95 Matthias REUTIMANN
96 Lukas SPENGLER

Etats-Unis
101 Adrien COSTA
102 Neilson POWLESS
103 Logan OWEN
104 Sepp KUSS
105 William BARTA
106 Geoffrey CURRAN

Allemagne
111 Maximilian SCHACHMANN
112 Pascal ACKERMANN
113 Nico DENZ
114 Patrick HALLER
115 Lennard KÄMNA
116 Jan TSCHERNOSTER

Autriche
121 SCHLEMMER Lukas
122 NEUHAUSER Marcel
123 FREIBERGER Markus
124 LEHNER Daniel
125 SCHÖNBERGER Sebastian
126 WALZEL Andreas

Espagne
131 Alex ARANURU
132 Ivan GARCIA
133 Jokin ETXABE
134 Cristian RODRIGUEZ
135 Juan Antonio LOPEZ-COZAR
136 Gonzalo SERRANO

Pologne
141 Piotr BROZYNA
142 Przemyslaw KASPERKIEWICZ
143 Michal PALUTA
144 Patryk STOSZ
145 Mateusz GRABIS
146 Piotr KONWA

République Tchèque
151 Michal SCHEGEL
152 Michael KUKRLE
153 Adam SEKANINA
154 Pavel CAMRDA
155 Marek SIPOS
156 Jan KOVAR

Colombie
161 Egan BERNAL
162 Daniel MARTINEZ
163 Ivan SOSA
164 John RODRIGUEZ
165 Wilmar PAREDES
166 Miguel Eduardo FLOREZ

Luxembourg
171 Ivan CENTRONE
172 Sandro DOSTERT
173 Pit LEYDER
174 Jan PETELIN
175 Larry VALVASORI
176 Tom WIRTGEN

Australie
181 Daniel FITTER
182 Lucas HAMILTON
183 Jai HINDLEY
184 Samuel JENNER
185 Nicholas SCHULTZ
186 Michael STORER

Japon
191 Takuma AKITA
192 Takeaki AMEZAWA
193 Masahiro ISHIGAMI
194 Rei ONODERA
195 Marino KOBAYASHI
196 Yuri KOBASHI

Afrique du Sud
201 Nicholas DLAMINI
202 Stefan DE BOD
203 Ryan GIBBONS
204 Morne VAN NIEKERK
205 Nicol CARSTENS
206 Ivan VENTER

Centre Mondial du Cyclisme
211 Caio GODOY
212 Antonio BARAC
213 Christofer JURADO
214 Dusan RAJOVIC
215 Jonathan NARVREZ
216 Nicolas TIVANI

Kazakhstan
221 Grigoriy SHTEIN
222 Galym AKHMETOV
223 Maxim SATLIKOV
224 Sergey LUCHSHENKO
225 Vladimir TSOY
226

Maroc
231 El Mehdi CHOKRI
232 Abderrahim ZAHIRI
233 Mouhcine EL KOURAJI
234 Amine Ahmed GALDOUNE
235 Ilyass RABIHI
236 Mounir MAKHCHOUN
 
Never has this race been won by a first year U23, can Costa or Bernal change that? Bernal has been impressive this whole season and seems to be one of the favourites I personally hope and think he will be really good here. Costa has also gotten a lot of intention after a great performance in Utah where he beat a lot of World Tour guys in the high mountains.
 
3 big favourites: Bernal, Costa and Mas.

Bernal started the season of incredibly strong and has shown a terrific climbing level in the first half of the season. Not sure about his shape though and I dont know if he has been building for this race specifically this season (maybe someone can enlighten me?) as his main competitors. His tt is also a lot weaker than the other contenders' so he will have to be the best climber by far to win the race.

Mas has been really dominant in u23 this season. He is a great climber but a good allrounder too, in Tour de Savoie Mont Blanc (I think) he did a really good tt (which was won by Costa) to secure the overall. He has also shown his versatility by winning Volta a Alentejo which doesnt have any really tough climbs in it. In Giro della Valle d'Aosta he was the most consistent climber and would surely have won the race overall if not for the puncture in the last stage which set him a couple of minutes back. He still showed his class though by fighting back and even dropping race leader Frankiny in the last climb but lost out in the GC by just 8 seconds (which was, ironically, the exact time difference between Frankiny and Mas in the TTT).

Costa is a first year u23 rider like Bernal but unlike the Colombian he was hailed as a future GC prospect on the road already as a junior. He has had an impressive season but his climbing has been a bit inconsistent at times. At least when riding in Europe. He is obviously in tremendous shape judging by his Tour of Utah exploits where he was nothing less than incredible. 2nd overall and a monster performance on the cruel Empire Pass is a fantastic result for such a young rider. Also the best tt'er between the three.

Of course there are other riders to watch out for as well. France bring a lot of good climbers and I although they dont have a gc rider to challenge for the win I think they will at least win a stage and set their mark on the mountain stages.

Same goes for Belgium who has some young, promising riders like Lambrecht and Vanhoucke.

Maximillian Schachmann has really improved his climbing and although he shouldn't be able to win the race in the mountains, I think he can challenge for a podium spot. Frankiny is also a really capable climber but I dont think his top level matches what Bernal, Costa and Mas can bring.

BTW, will Powless go for USA? He is a great talent as well and will be an important rider for Costa and could potentially make a great result himself.
 
Re:

Bushman said:
Bernal started the season of incredibly strong and has shown a terrific climbing level in the first half of the season. Not sure about his shape though and I dont know if he has been building for this race specifically this season (maybe someone can enlighten me?) as his main competitors. His tt is also a lot weaker than the other contenders' so he will have to be the best climber by far to win the race.
Bernal is prepraing for Avenir in COlombia and he skipped Volta Portugal for it, so he wants to be in a very good shape for Avenir.
 
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Bushman said:
Bernal started the season of incredibly strong and has shown a terrific climbing level in the first half of the season. Not sure about his shape though and I dont know if he has been building for this race specifically this season (maybe someone can enlighten me?) as his main competitors. His tt is also a lot weaker than the other contenders' so he will have to be the best climber by far to win the race.
Bernal is prepraing for Avenir in COlombia and he skipped Volta Portugal for it, so he wants to be in a very good shape for Avenir.
Thanks for the info. Sounds promising but unfortunately we can't judge his shape like with Costa in Utah. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
 
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Yay Col du Pré! Boo Col du Pré mid stage in the second of four MTFs so nothing will happen.

Boo 72km final stage. These are espoirs, not cadets. There are women's semitappes longer than that.
I first thought it was a TT :D

Anyway, lame parcours design, though I guess it doesn't matter all that much. What I think would be cool is if l'Avenir would do one MTF that is frequently used by the World Tour peloton, to get some references to compare to the pro peloton. I know they did a Risoul MTT once
 
Weak stages. I thought I read somewhere that they wanted to know with more certainty that the winner of Lavenir would be a future star. If they want that at least they have to put a harder parcours. Not that we will know for sure anyway.
 
Apr 15, 2013
954
0
0
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
3 flat stages in a row, then 4 MTFs. Dafuq...

Gonna be interesting regardless tho.
Yeah really it's a bit to sequenced.. too bad because bringing back an ITT was a great idea. A more hilly stage in the first 3 days would have been nice and instead of 4 MTFs having 2, another hilly stage and a descent finish would have been a lot better.

Still it will be very interesting to watch and the ITT will shake things up.
 
Ruudz0r said:
Last Year
1 Marc Soler
2 Jack Haig +1.09
3 Matvey Mamykin +2.50
4 Sam Oomen +3.18
5 Simone Petilli +3.23
6 Giulio Ciccone +3.56
7 Sindruk Lunke +5.12
8 Laurens de Plus +6.12
9 Sebastian Henap +6.56
10 Guillaume Martin +7.25
His name is Sindre...wonder where Sindruk came from :p

Pretty strong team from Norway this year as well. Kristoffer Halvorsen will surely be up there in the sprints, particularly the uphill ones (see his finish from Nokere Koerse).

Will also be interesting to see if 19 y.o Tobias Foss can fight for a top 10 in the GC. He was 11th in Aosta, but he's more of a TT'er, so these kind of climbs should suit him far better.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
Great race as always. Colombia with a super strong squad with Martinez, Florez and ofcourse Bernal. But no Aguirre, Reyes or Higuita. Their B-squad would be one of the strongest teams in this L'Avenir too. So much talent.

I'm also rooting for Mas and Costa. Could be a great battle between those two and Bernal.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Is Mamykin really going to start? WT riders riding this race is just stupid, the guy has just finished 8th in Burgos against a more than decent field, it's just as stupid as Sebastian Henao entering last years race, they have already performed well at a much higher level, WT riders riding the Tour de l'Avenir is just pointless.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Is Mamykin really going to start? WT riders riding this race is just stupid, the guy has just finished 8th in Burgos against a more than decent field, it's just as stupid as Sebastian Henao entering last years race, they have already performed well at a much higher level, WT riders riding the Tour de l'Avenir is just pointless.
Where did you read he was going to start? He is not on the provisional list on the site of Avenir.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Mayomaniac said:
Is Mamykin really going to start? WT riders riding this race is just stupid, the guy has just finished 8th in Burgos against a more than decent field, it's just as stupid as Sebastian Henao entering last years race, they have already performed well at a much higher level, WT riders riding the Tour de l'Avenir is just pointless.
Where did you read he was going to start? He is not on the provisional list on the site of Avenir.
Someone mentioned it in the Vuelta a Burgos thread.
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1996964#p1996964
 
Feb 20, 2016
242
0
0
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Weak stages. I thought I read somewhere that they wanted to know with more certainty that the winner of Lavenir would be a future star. If they want that at least they have to put a harder parcours. Not that we will know for sure anyway.
What? Do you really think results in u23 is reflective to pro - and more so if it is harder? I'd say L'avenir is a small yardstick, nothing more. Well, that's probably what you mean with last sentence, which makes most of it obsolete.
 
Danish team looks pretty awful. Procontinental cyclists should not go either like WT; Mads Pedersen has a team in place for next year, Carbel is terrible and has not even qualified with results. Gregaard has also done nothing.
When the federation hardly have funds and it's been such a bland year for results IMO thing to do is select talented cyclists to give them encouragement and to get experience. So for me it would have been much better to instead go with Vingegaard, Dam Vestergaard and maybe Bak Klaris for the last place.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY