• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Pologne, 30 July - 5 August, 2.UWT

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Actually, just watched the replay and don't understand, why so much outrage? The crash was relatively mild and riders sliding in a turn happens many times every year. One of the riders who was the first to fall even slid while still in the middle of the road.

The organizer might have considered moving the barriers after the turn further up the road as there were two more lanes left, but the riders still had two lanes available to make it. I just don't see this as a dangerous design as such, not any more dangerous than any other sprint finish with turns or roundabouts...

Actually, just watched the replay and don't understand, why so much outrage? The crash was relatively mild and riders sliding in a turn happens many times every year.

I tend to agree. The finish wasn't really dangerouse, but technical, and on a circuit, so everyone had a chance to have a look of it before. Some still took the corner at too much speed and consequently crashed.

Sure, it's unfortunate that others were affected who didn't do anything wrong, and maybe more corners to slow it down before would have been better. But I definitely also don't want to see one-dimensional straight sprint-runins only.

This is what happens when the route of the race is decided by sponsorship deals instead of wish to make the race interesting. The race potentially could be a lot more fun to watch Poland doesn't lack roads which could allow for much more selective and competitive GC racing.

As of crashes. The main reason for them is World Tour status, large peloton and sheer number of sprint stages. Many sprinters are desperate for WT win here. GC riders must be in the mix too, because time differences are very small. It's very crowdy. I personally hate when the course in mass sprint stage is too technical but it happens in other races too including the greatest (TdF, Giro, Vuelta). Roundabouts, sharp turns, dangerous road furniture is not exclusive for Poland.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS