• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Romandie, Stage 1: Martigny - Leysin, 172.6km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 5, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
How can they let these 4 guys go away by 12 minutes?
No problem in a flat stage, but here today... I mean, no more flat terrain, just climbs (ok, mostly not very hard), but Samoilau (MOV) and Brutt (KAT) have tended to be decent climbers...

can I get a job as a DS now? with Garmin-Cervélo for example? :D

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Brutt terrain tomorrow, too.
When is Taylor Phinney due to finish?

Brutt tomorrow will really depend on how well he recovers tonight. A big effort like that could cost him.

But at the same time, great ride today and a well deserved win.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The GC big guns are only 2 minutes back and Brutt used a lot of energy today, if they are smart they will make it hard for him on the long climb tomorrow and then try to snatch 20/30 seconds in the final km.

Bavarianrider said:
Nah he was in front on top of the last summit and at the end of the downhill he wasn't anywhere anymore. There must have happened something

It was a white jersey that went off on that corner, went half way up the hill, then rolled back onto the road.
Probably out, in that case.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
But are they?
I think we all know the answer to that.
Expect them to start, then stop and stare at each other.

Bobridge will not be able to stay with the bunch on all of the remaining stages.

There are probably a couple of climbs in there they could even drop Brutt on if they powered it.

Will make for an interesting dynamic, if the teams really want to push it.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The onus is on them to keep the time gap in check. They actually did reduce the time gap a fair bit. Watch the race troll!:rolleyes:

Why would Euskatel want to relinquish the lead like that?

I did watch the race.

If Euskaltel thought they had the manpower to control the race, they wouldn't have let the break go out beyond 11 minutes. They knew they didn't. So they bluffed to try and make other teams do the work in chasing. They had a stage win, the yellow jersey and know it's a tough week to win the overall, so they can take a victory already.

Not all teams come into the race thinking they can win the overall. They will be happy with a stage win, the yellow jersey for a day etc and that's exactly what Euskaltel would have been hoping for. The fact that Castro was feeling under the pump proved he didn't have the legs and they weren't going to waste their energy to chase when they could get another stage win later on in the race.

It's not a trolling. Instead of telling me to watch the race, maybe you should learn a thing or two about race tactics and what teams goals could be.

If they wanted the overall win, they wouldn't have let it gone out so much. Fact is they will be leaving this race with great satisfaction and for the main contenders going for the win, it's their fault for potentially missing the win by not asserting authority on the peloton.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Meh, maybe I expected too much from euskatel as hrotha is right in a sense that euskies didn't have a gc rider but I thought they wouldn't of let the gap go out so far.

why would euskaltel care for a breakaway group?? it's your team that failed miserably (again)

Sasquatch said:
I did watch the race.

If Euskaltel thought they had the manpower to control the race, they wouldn't have let the break go out beyond 11 minutes. They knew they didn't. So they bluffed to try and make other teams do the work in chasing. They had a stage win, the yellow jersey and know it's a tough week to win the overall, so they can take a victory already.

Not all teams come into the race thinking they can win the overall. They will be happy with a stage win, the yellow jersey for a day etc and that's exactly what Euskaltel would have been hoping for. The fact that Castro was feeling under the pump proved he didn't have the legs and they weren't going to waste their energy to chase when they could get another stage win later on in the race.

It's not a trolling. Instead of telling me to watch the race, maybe you should learn a thing or two about race tactics and what teams goals could be.

If they wanted the overall win, they wouldn't have let it gone out so much. Fact is they will be leaving this race with great satisfaction and for the main contenders going for the win, it's their fault for potentially missing the win by not asserting authority on the peloton.

Yes, Euskatel were never going to control the race and some of the other teams had no reason to chase which is normal with riders in the break.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
Quick CQ scan shows Brutt has never performed well in an ITT. Losing 1'23 to Bobridge isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Bobridge will have to fight hard to hang onto the bunch tomorrow though.

1 Kai Reus (Ned) Rabobank 17.58
2 Alexander Serov (Rus) Lokomotiv 0.05
3 Pavel Brutt (Rus) Lokomotiv 0.11
4 Juan Jose Abril (Spa) Viña Magna-Cropusa 0.16
5 Nikolai Trousov (Rus) Lokomotiv 0.19
6 Stef Clement (Ned) Rabobank
7 Pedro Romero (Spa) Spiuk 0.21
8 Tomas Aurelio Gil (Ven) Andalucia-Paul Versan 0.24
9 Tom Veelers (Ned) Rabobank
10 Dimitri Champion (Fra) French National Team
11 Fernando Herrero (Spa) Viña Magna-Cropusa 0.25
12 Sergey Klimov (Rus) Lokomotiv 0.28