• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de San Luis 2012, 7ª Etapa: San Luis - San Luis (167 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
1. BOONEN Tom OPQ
2. GUARDINI Andrea FAR
3. RICHEZE ARAQUISTAIN Mauro Abel DAN
4. CASPER Jimmy ALM
5. KEOUGH Jake UHC
6. RUBIANO CHAVEZ Miguel Angel AND
7. HAEDO Lucas Sebastian SAX
8. COLBRELLI Sonny COG
9. MARTINEZ REGALADO Yasmani -
10. AGUILAR FIGUERAS Hector Fabian

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
1. BOONEN Tom OPQ
2. GUARDINI Andrea FAR
3. RICHEZE ARAQUISTAIN Mauro Abel DAN
4. CASPER Jimmy ALM
5. KEOUGH Jake UHC
6. RUBIANO CHAVEZ Miguel Angel AND
7. HAEDO Lucas Sebastian SAX
8. COLBRELLI Sonny COG
9. MARTINEZ REGALADO Yasmani -
10. AGUILAR FIGUERAS Hector Fabian

I think a lot of people underestimate how fast Boonen still is. Back in his glory days he could always count on a good train and leadout, the last few years he had to deal with injuries and he didn't have a train anymore. Boonen isn't the best when it comes to positioning him self in a sprint, that's why he would benefit greatly from a leadout train. Now QS have the resources to put up a great sprinting train, perhaps the strongest one in the peloton if they bring their A team. Peter and Martin Velits, Tony Martin, Francesco Chichi, Matt Brammeier, Gerald Ciolek, Gert Steegmans and Bert Grabsch can form a decent leadout train for Boonen.

I even saw some people on this forum argue that Cancellara was faster than Boonen nowadays :rolleyes:

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I think a lot of people underestimate how fast Boonen still is. Back in his glory days he could always count on a good train and leadout, the last few years he had to deal with injuries and he didn't have a train anymore. Boonen isn't the best when it comes to positioning him self in a sprint, that's why he would benefit greatly from a leadout train. Now QS have the resources to put up a great sprinting train, perhaps the strongest one in the peloton if they bring their A team. Peter and Martin Velits, Tony Martin, Francesco Chichi, Matt Brammeier, Gerald Ciolek and Bert Grabsch can form a decent leadout train for Boonen.

I even saw some people on this forum argue that Cancellara was faster than Boonen nowadays :rolleyes:

Very true, his sprinting in last year's Gent-Wevelgem was very impressive

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Congrats Tom and Levi.

Btw, JJ second first stage, LS fifth second stage, JJ second 6th stage, LS 7th 7th stage. Why in God's name did Saxo work for LS? Maybe JJ would've won one of those two stages.

I think they worked for JJ, but he has lost somewhere, and LS replaced him. Not a problem JJ will own on TdF!

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I think a lot of people underestimate how fast Boonen still is. Back in his glory days he could always count on a good train and leadout, the last few years he had to deal with injuries and he didn't have a train anymore. Boonen isn't the best when it comes to positioning him self in a sprint, that's why he would benefit greatly from a leadout train. Now QS have the resources to put up a great sprinting train, perhaps the strongest one in the peloton if they bring their A team. Peter and Martin Velits, Tony Martin, Francesco Chichi, Matt Brammeier, Gerald Ciolek, Gert Steegmans and Bert Grabsch can form a decent leadout train for Boonen.

Let's wait until he beats some real opposition again before getting too carried away ;)

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
5-4 ? 2 by chicchi, 2 by leipheimer, 1 Boonen - 3 TdU + cancer council classic by Greipel
Quite funny how these two teams have got the majority of the wins so far this season

1LEIPHEIMER Levi OPQ 26h32'55"
2CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto SAX 46"
3DIAZ Daniel Ricardo SLU 01'30"
4SCHUMACHER Stefan CWO 01'34"
5NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 01'50"
Not much change in gc.

I think schumacher will be relatively happy with his fourth but would have probably gone in, hoping for a podium as he wont get many more chances this season

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Let's wait until he beats some real opposition again before getting too carried away ;)

Like Greipel and Farrar at Gent-Wevelgem last year?

I never lost faith in Boonen's speed, it's all the rest I lost faith in.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Like Greipel and Farrar at Gent-Wevelgem last year?

I never lost faith in Boonen's speed, it's all the rest I lost faith in.
tbh Farrar was left by himself after Hushovd got dropped/lost and was much to isolated in the sprint whilst Greipel positioned himself on mondory's wheel for some strange reason and from then on had no chance. Besides for Bennatti they were the only proper sprinters in that group.
Yet I would agree that Boonen is greatly underrated as a sprinter