• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under Positive 2003

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
One more story from the Giro.

Newly crowd Italian champion Simeoni was due to race.

At Comeback 2.0 time Lance gave the new version of the chase down incident saying he was just following wheels.

Simeoni was desperate to race the Giro in the colors of Italy and even issued a YouTube invitation to Lance that he had no hard feelings.

Armstrong as part of his appearance forced RCS to leave out Simeoni's team.

True story.

I always wondered how on earth the Italian champion wasnt in that race...unbelievable...time for heads to really roll...

The Gnome said:
I always wondered how on earth the Italian champion wasnt in that race...unbelievable...time for heads to really roll...

What was worse the team he rode for should have selected without question.

Ceramica Flaminia Appeal To UCI For Giro Entry

Roberto Marrone, manager of the Ceramica Flaminia team, has appealed to UCI president Pat McQuaid in the hopes of getting his team invited to the Giro d’Italia. The Giro organizer RCS Sport invited the Fuji-Servetto team to fill the final spot last week, leaving the Ceramica squad containing Italian national champion Filippo Simeoni out.

In a letter sent to McQuaid, Marrone is quoted as saying, "It is unacceptable that, despite being among the top 10 teams in the ranking of Europe Continental Tour and having the Wild Card Label, our team is being systematically excluded from most major competitions for the benefit of other teams that will not be more competitive than us." Marrone points out that Acqua e Sapone, LPR Brakes-Farnese Vini and Xacobeo-Galicia are three non-wild card teams that have been selected take part in the Giro d’Italia. While RCS does not require wild card status for entry into the Giro it does require participation in the UCI's biological passport program.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
so when is Turtur stepping down...? or when do they kill the tour down under? It's a useless race anyhow...right up there with the China tour...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
What was worse the team he rode for should have selected without question.

sorta embarrassing that I couldn't put those together while wondering...after the fact is is pretty obvious...in this thread alone, armstrong pretty much kills the Ireland tour, takes out the Giro leadership, implicates the leader of Australia and slimes up their tour...hey, he was just so great for this sport, right?

The Gnome said:
sorta embarrassing that I couldn't put those together while wondering...after the fact is is pretty obvious...in this thread alone, armstrong pretty much kills the Ireland tour, takes out the Giro leadership, implicates the leader of Australia and slimes up their tour...hey, he was just so great for this sport, right?

And Bradley Wiggins loves him.

Now Lance is sucking the life out of cycling by not confessing. He just doesn't care. Got his money from the sport.

thehog said:
And Bradley Wiggins loves him.

Now Lance is sucking the life out of cycling by not confessing. He just doesn't care. Got his money from the sport.

I wonder when a journalist is going to be brave enough to ask Wiggins about that quote and whether he still thinks Armstrong's been great for the sport of cycling. It doesn't exactly paint him in a great light when you consider that he's now saying he wasn't surprised by the Armstrong revelations and intimating that he knew about it all along.

Here it is again:

"I love him," Bradley Wiggins said only two years ago, during the last days of Armstrong's final appearance in the Tour. "I think he's great. He's transformed the sport in so many ways. Every person in cycling has benefited from Lance Armstrong, perhaps not financially but in some sense. I don't think this sport will ever realise what he's brought it or how big he's made it.

"Cycling was in the dark ages before he came along, in many ways. You only have to look at the support along the roads, compared to what it was 20 years ago. The majority of that is because of Lance Armstrong. Obviously he has his enemies and people among the fans who don't like him, but they've all benefited from him and his existence on the Tour."

Those are very telling comments and explain precisely why it's taken so long for the Armstrong myth to be formally exposed.

I think I'll stick it in an email to Des Kelly of the Daily Mail. He seems game for anything judging by his last article. ;)

I can't believe Mike Turtur is still hailing Lance ....

The allegations that are against him [Armstrong] at the moment are made by two people in particular who I believe have no credibility whatsoever... I don't believe anything that Hamilton or Landis says. They can't be believed; they can't be listened to because of what they've done in the past. Until such time as there's 100 percent clear, factual evidence to indicate clearly that there's an issue then I'll listen to that

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/turtur-caruso-positive-in-2003-was-not-his-responsibity-to-publicise

Disappointing to say the least.

Cookster15 said:
I can't believe Mike Turtur is still hailing Lance ....

Should be immediately sacked from whatever positions he holds within cycling in Australia. A complete disgrace and national embarrassment

EDIT: Just had a close look at that article. He said that quote 18 months ago. He would not comment now. Cookster, unless you didn't realize, it's disingenuous to quote that quote as if it's today's

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
comedy gold right here:
gooner said:
Loved Zomegnan's quote at the time of the protest of the Milan circuit:
“The course requires explosive power and riders to get their butts out of the saddle. Apparently, some older riders have no desire to do so. Instead, it seems as their legs are shorter while their tongues have become longer,” he blasted.

It was widely believed that he was referring to Lance Armstrong, whom the Giro d’Italia had paid a massive starting fee. When asked if his comments were levelled at the American, Zomegnan said, "I never call people who have disappointed me by name, just as I never mention names of girlfriends who have snubbed me.”

and here:
sittingbison said:
Crikey thehog, what's got into you. A quote AND a link!! :D
thehog said:
I know. The problem with having a near photographic memory is I remember the information but can't be bothered finding the link.
:D

(seriously, though, an excellent thread this is)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Turtur has to go - he is clearly part of the problem. Even if the quote was 18 months ago its just plain disingenuous.

I think we will have to start writing to CA and our govt reps - doubt Mueller would have been pleased by the defiant /defensive tone of Turturs media appearances today.

Turtur is part of the problem. So arrogant.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
sairyder said:
Turtur is part of the problem. So arrogant.

Mueller is easily as arrogant. Having been commissaired by him in the past, I say this from first-hand experience. Smug. Piece. of. Work. The only reason he comm'd was to get onto the CA board. The only reason he went there is to get onto the IOC board. IOC is the gravy train fellas.

Yes, I have been commi'd by non-smug people also. It is possible.