Tour Down Under - Stage 4: Norwood - Strathalbyn, 124km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
Ferminal said:
Meyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wa mafia !!!
Wooo \o/

Great ride by Cam. Breakaway staying out there...I thought this was meant to be a sprinters borefest? ;)

Really annoyed I took him out of my CQ team now. :doh:
 
ingsve said:
Is there any results of how it went in the sprint in the peloton?
The results we know of so far:

Official results Mutual Community Stage 4, 2011 Santos Tour Under:
1: Cameron MEYER (AUS) - GARMIN-CERVELO @2:57:55,
2: Thomas de GENDT (BEL) - VACANSOLEIL DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM @ st,
3: Laurens ten DAM (NED) - RABOBANK @ 0:03,
4: Matthew WILSON (AUS) - GARMIN-CERVELO @0:10,
5: Matt GOSS (AUS) - HTC-HIGHROAD @0:24,
6: Jose Joaquin ROJAS (ESP) - MOVISTAR TEAM @st,
7: Ben SWIFT (GBR) - SKY PRO CYCLING @st,
8: Jürgen ROELANDTS (BEL) - OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO @st,
9: Nikolay TRUSOV (RUS) - KATUSHA @st,
10: Romain FEILLU (FRA) - VACANSOLEIL DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM @st
 
Moondance said:
The results we know of so far:

Official results Mutual Community Stage 4, 2011 Santos Tour Under:
1: Cameron MEYER (AUS) - GARMIN-CERVELO @2:57:55,
2: Thomas de GENDT (BEL) - VACANSOLEIL DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM @ st,
3: Laurens ten DAM (NED) - RABOBANK @ 0:03,
4: Matthew WILSON (AUS) - GARMIN-CERVELO @0:10,
5: Matt GOSS (AUS) - HTC-HIGHROAD @0:24,
6: Jose Joaquin ROJAS (ESP) - MOVISTAR TEAM @st,
7: Ben SWIFT (GBR) - SKY PRO CYCLING @st,
8: Jürgen ROELANDTS (BEL) - OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO @st,
9: Nikolay TRUSOV (RUS) - KATUSHA @st,
10: Romain FEILLU (FRA) - VACANSOLEIL DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM @st
I'm guessing some guys didn't bother sprinting.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
ingsve said:
I'm guessing some guys didn't bother sprinting.
What would have been the use? There weren't any bonus seconds left.

Interesting tactics by Rabo... they now have two guys close on GC, but neither of them can really win it, can they? But anyway, it could get them some useful WorldTour points in the end.
 
theyoungest said:
What would have been the use? There weren't any bonus seconds left.

Interesting tactics by Rabo... they now have two guys close on GC, but neither of them can really win it, can they? But anyway, it could get them some useful WorldTour points in the end.
Well, the main reason would have been on the off chance they caught the break but it would also be for the placement points since a lot of them are on the same time and I'm guessing their that's how they determine GC.
 
Hm, maybe hoping too that they can snatch back a couple of seconds while sprinting to increase the chance of them getting the time back in sprint bonuses or any small gaps that appear at the end of stages.
 
May 20, 2010
877
0
0
Did they stuff up, or was a deal done to proved racing can be unpredictable with race radios?
 
euanli said:
Did they stuff up, or was a deal done to proved racing can be unpredictable with race radios?
I think they simple messed up. There were too many in the break and perhaps too few teams working at the back. And the guys in the break were pretty strong riders and not the typical nobodies that often get into token breaks.
 
I rode the course this morning, killed me, but then im a fat old buggggr.

Watching the highlights, interviews, having two riders from two teams helped, they foxed a bit saving themselves for the end.

Its basically 100km of up and down, at the 106km, its fast downhill for 12km, then slight climb for 8km then, the last 6km is fast downhill, so they had to catch them before the last downhill, left it too late.




Hugh
 
It's a shame Cam Meyer lost 7 seconds yesterday. If he hadn't, he would have pretty much wrapped up the overall already. As it looks now, Matthew Goss is still the big favorite for the GC.
 
ingsve said:
I think they simple messed up. There were too many in the break and perhaps too few teams working at the back. And the guys in the break were pretty strong riders and not the typical nobodies that often get into token breaks.
I think the Garmin team in particular played this very well. I heard Matt White say they deliberately kept the lead around 2.5 minutes so as not to make the peloton too nervous and this enabled them to go slow and conserve energy. Then with 20km to go they hit the afterburners and the peloton couldn't catch the group which contained the Aus TT Champ. Anyone who has followed Cam Meyer's track career will know he is an extraordinary rider. So yes they totally underestimated the abilities of the breakaway group.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Polyarmour said:
I think the Garmin team in particular played this very well. I heard Matt White say they deliberately kept the lead around 2.5 minutes so as not to make the peloton too nervous and this enabled them to go slow and conserve energy. Then with 20km to go they hit the afterburners and the peloton couldn't catch the group which contained the Aus TT Champ. Anyone who has followed Cam Meyer's track career will know he is an extraordinary rider. So yes they totally underestimated the abilities of the breakaway group.
Laurens ten Dam jokes that he had to "teach" the breakaway how to stay away, so I guess he played a role as well.
 
Jun 25, 2009
155
0
0
maltiv said:
It's a shame Cam Meyer lost 7 seconds yesterday. If he hadn't, he would have pretty much wrapped up the overall already. As it looks now, Matthew Goss is still the big favorite for the GC.
Favourite - yes - big favourite - no.

If tonight's stage doesn't finish in a bunch sprint then he can't win.

Obviously Garmin will be trying to let a break succeed but there are plenty of others who'd be interested in getting their only possible stage win of the race and of course there's the guys like Ballan and Gerrans who could win the race if they get enough of a gap here too.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Connor Pass said:
Favourite - yes - big favourite - no.

If tonight's stage doesn't finish in a bunch sprint then he can't win.

Obviously Garmin will be trying to let a break succeed but there are plenty of others who'd be interested in getting their only possible stage win of the race and of course there's the guys like Ballan and Gerrans who could win the race if they get enough of a gap here too.
If Luis Leon Sanchez, with the help of Valverde and Evans, can only keep a 6 second advantage on the bunch at the finish line, Ballan and Gerrans will hardly be able to stay away.
 
Jun 25, 2009
155
0
0
theyoungest said:
If Luis Leon Sanchez, with the help of Valverde and Evans, can only keep a 6 second advantage on the bunch at the finish line, Ballan and Gerrans will hardly be able to stay away.
Well... when you put it like that....
 
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
Crow Eaters....they're a weird bunch. Just please don't judge us all on their behaviour. :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY