• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Exodus-Non starters and their ailments

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Unidentified PED testing is in the wind and some riders may be worried.
Several high profile Tour candidates are already out with injuries. Who do you think is next and what will be their affliction?
List for now:
Boonen-tendonitis
Haussler-knee injury

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Several high profile Tour candidates are already out with injuries. Who do you think is next and what will be their affliction?
List for now:
Boonen-tendonitis
Haussler-knee injury

Lame.

Mods close this, thanks.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
Lame.

Mods close this, thanks.

Peloton-I didn't say these two guys are opting out for PED's as they have been thrashed. It reminded me of how many riders have been laying low in races or in training camps. It's a legitimate question.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Aren't corticosteriods typically a treatment for both of these injuries?
Would it wise to attempt to race the TDF but wind up pulling out and screwing the rest of your year and maybe the next trying to recover from surgery?

I realize the the main purpose of this forum is to speculate and provide innuendo as to why certain pros are injured or sick, but don't you think that sometimes tendonitis is just tendonnitis and a knee injury is just a knee injury?

We seem to have come to the point of "All the top 20 riders except for <insert your favorite rider here> are doped", and while I'm not denying that it exists, but I'd rather start with giving the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, the whole sport was ruined once they let in derailleurs. A flip-flop hub, a climbing gear, a flat gear, why should you need anything more? This whole team concept and support vehicles, bah, only sissies are racing now.

A

Anonymous

I think this thread could have been put up in the normal forum and just been an injury thread. no need to bring ped rumours into it really unless there is genuine doubt.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
I think this thread could have been put up in the normal forum and just been an injury thread. no need to bring ped rumours into it really unless there is genuine doubt.

No problem if the Mods want to move it. The threat of unknown testing was part of the speculation.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
After Haussler's tumble, it should be no surprise that he will be out. Also tough to "fake" a surgery, which he is scheduled to have.

Re Boonen, I must say a "tendinitis" issue is far more appealing PR than revealing that he has been snorting Bolivian marching powder at a disco. Maybe there is some progress being made with regards to PR tactics within that team. It is not like we have not seen Boonen have a problem with this, and starting the Tour, before.

Now, should a GC rider come down with an issue, then the speculations can be more considered. And if a GC rider who bows out due to a vague and ambiguous ailment is one who has some shadow of doping scandal or controversy in his past, the speculations will be strong.

No need to close this subject out. It could be a useful discussion point over the next week.

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Kodiak said:
Kind of hard to discredit those two this season after the wrecks they had. I doubt it's due to the PED Testing.

I agree completely...having said that, I know first hand how it is to have your season wiped out after a crash on your knee..granted it was a Cat 2 race not Pro level, but it took forever to feel right again & still continues to give me trouble time to time.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
13 years ago I got hurt in the army losing nearly 2 inches in height, damaging both ankles, right knee, right hip and compacting the bottom eight vertebrae in my back, 4 years of rehab(refused the surgery due to the risk of permanent paralysis) and everyday is a **** whooping. Can't imagine getting on a bike after crashing the way they did this year and still being competitive. I'd step out as well and give a healthy rider a chance to shine in the tdf is it was me.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Peloton-I didn't say these two guys are opting out for PED's as they have been thrashed. It reminded me of how many riders have been laying low in races or in training camps. It's a legitimate question.

really? why did you mention those two then?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
There are some stages which are really suited to both these guys this year, and give them a realistic chance of wearing yellow for a few days. And both of them are riders who MTFU when required.

I think they are both genuinely too injured to take part.

That said, I kind of agree with the broad thrust of your hypothesis, that there will be a few dropouts if eg the AFLD are going to come in hard, but I dont think these are the most likely miscreants.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
There are some stages which are really suited to both these guys this year, and give them a realistic chance of wearing yellow for a few days. And both of them are riders who MTFU when required.

I think they are both genuinely too injured to take part.

That said, I kind of agree with the broad thrust of your hypothesis, that there will be a few dropouts if eg the AFLD are going to come in hard, but I dont think these are the most likely miscreants.

As I previously, but not clearly stated; those two guys prompted the concept of future "injuries" being declared. The idea being what riders/teams would be most at risk and would the bail out before getting tested? Assuming no press releases about people already under investigation surfaces prior to the Tour; any one come to mind. Pure speculation, guys/gals.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
List for now:
Boonen-tendonitis
Haussler-knee injury

You're absolutely right.

But you haven't mentioned others. Kim Kirchen and Johnny Bellis have gone to the lengths of nearly dying as an excuse. Brad McGee is claiming that he's retired. Andre Griepel has been desperately showing he's not as good as Cavendish to avoid the testers. Whole teams - Vacansoliel and Skil are claiming that they "weren't invited", which seems a little bit too convenient to me. Valverde is even taking a two year sabbatical to dodge a positive.

Seriously, you're an idiot. If the were doping and they didn't want to be caught doping, they'd just stop doping. It's better to do the Tour badly clean, than not at all isn't it?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
You're absolutely right.

But you haven't mentioned others. Kim Kirchen and Johnny Bellis have gone to the lengths of nearly dying as an excuse. Brad McGee is claiming that he's retired. Andre Griepel has been desperately showing he's not as good as Cavendish to avoid the testers. Whole teams - Vacansoliel and Skil are claiming that they "weren't invited", which seems a little bit too convenient to me. Valverde is even taking a two year sabbatical to dodge a positive.

Seriously, you're an idiot. If the were doping and they didn't want to be caught doping, they'd just stop doping. It's better to do the Tour badly clean, than not at all isn't it?

Please read, can you? Otherwise I'll have someone kill the thread. As previously posted:

As I previously, but not clearly stated; those two guys prompted the concept of future "injuries" being declared. The idea being what riders/teams would be most at risk and would the bail out before getting tested? Assuming no press releases about people already under investigation surfaces prior to the Tour; any one come to mind. Pure speculation, guys/gals.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
If you want to make it fairly obvious you've been a doper, maybe.

A

Anonymous

here we are..

andy_schleck Was out training with@schleckfrank hit a big bump in the road, went down pretty hard,lost quit lot of skin all over my body but I be okay
via twitter

theres another one to add to the crazy rumour list when he fails to start next week :D

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Well there's Andy's problem - he was following Frank over the big bump in the road. Everybody knows Frank's descending prowess. :p He probably chose the wrong line over the bump and Andy followed, leading to disaster.

A

Anonymous

Beech Mtn said:
Well there's Andy's problem - he was following Frank over the big bump in the road. Everybody knows Frank's descending prowess. :p He probably chose the wrong line over the bump and Andy followed, leading to disaster.

the big bump was probably frank lying on his **** on the road having just come off.