• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour ladder?

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I´m looking forward for this year Tour ladder. Will we have one?

My guesses are these:

1) Contador: should win the Tour. He will face strong competetion specially from RadioShack team (not necessarily from LA) and Basso, but will still show up altogether way stronger than the others.

2) Basso: he was very good in the Giro and seems to be very motivated (even saying that the next day after his win in the Giro will study the Tour parcours). My guess he didn´t sacriface himself too much in this Giro and will recover well for the Tour. He should be the only one able to challange Contador in the mountains, but should not get first because of his poor TT (and descending skills).

3) Wiggins: should be ok in the mountains and do good TTs. His results doesn´t say much, but he´s very motivated and has a great team behind him (not just in terms of the qualify of the riders, but in terms of structure and organization). My guesses Brailsford is doing a great job with him perfecting his performance and training in every aspect. It should pay off with a good performance by Brad.

4) Andy Schleck: should be good, but based on his results this year, it seems he should be weaker than last yest (yes) and should not really challange Contador.

5) LA: I think he will be a big disapointment (although I am a big fan of him). Crashs, abandons... not even a single good result so far this year (specially if compared to the results he´s used to post before his retirement).

6) Menchov: really don´t know...

7) Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre: shouldn´t recover from the Giro and will post poor performances

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Having recent good results is not good. It's quite bad. Holding top form from the Giro to the Tour is impossible and there's not enough time in between to rest, then rebuild.
For this reason, I can't see Basso or Evans being anywhere near their Giro form. Andy Schleck and Menchov, on the other hand, have been quietly building and aren't fatigued at all. That puts them in very good stead.

Schleck, especially, given that he usually shows up at the Ardennes in top form, but this year didn't (due to an injury screwing up his progression), he should be much more rested than usual. That can only be good for him. (Don't take this as a Schleck fanboy rambling. I can't stand him)

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
(Don't take this as a Schleck fanboy rambling. I can't stand him)

Please tell more. I'm no Schleck fanboy, either, but mostly because I find it hard to get too excited about him. I haven't heard from a lot of fans who really, actively dislike like him, though. What about him rubs you the wrong way?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Please tell more. I'm no Schleck fanboy, either, but mostly because I find it hard to get too excited about him. I haven't heard from a lot of fans who really, actively dislike like him, though. What about him rubs you the wrong way?

Given the "stay on topic" rule.....PM :)

May 30, 2010
Visit site
schlecks

i reckon the schlecks will perform.......they seem totally chilled and andy was under strict orders to chill at the ToC.Time trialling will be their limitation but i expect them to rock in the mountains.

Contador will outperform everyone and win by a large margin barring disaster

the shack...........no

Giro boys.....Basso with his good team might be a factor, but Evans and Sastre will struggle with weaker teams.....

Hope the TdF will be as good as the Giro was for us viewers! More dirt roads i say!!

christianpetrin said:
I´m looking forward for this year Tour ladder. Will we have one?

My guesses are these:

1) Contador: should win the Tour. He will face strong competetion specially from RadioShack team (not necessarily from LA) and Basso, but will still show up altogether way stronger than the others.

2) Basso: he was very good in the Giro and seems to be very motivated (even saying that the next day after his win in the Giro will study the Tour parcours). My guess he didn´t sacriface himself too much in this Giro and will recover well for the Tour. He should be the only one able to challange Contador in the mountains, but should not get first because of his poor TT (and descending skills).

3) Wiggins: should be ok in the mountains and do good TTs. His results doesn´t say much, but he´s very motivated and has a great team behind him (not just in terms of the qualify of the riders, but in terms of structure and organization). My guesses Brailsford is doing a great job with him perfecting his performance and training in every aspect. It should pay off with a good performance by Brad.

4) Andy Schleck: should be good, but based on his results this year, it seems he should be weaker than last yest (yes) and should not really challange Contador.

5) LA: I think he will be a big disapointment (although I am a big fan of him). Crashs, abandons... not even a single good result so far this year (specially if compared to the results he´s used to post before his retirement).

6) Menchov: really don´t know...

7) Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre: shouldn´t recover from the Giro and will post poor performances

Missing from your list, but every bit the contenders as some mentioned:

1. Vandevelde- is on track to be fully recovered from collarbone, if he is 100%, could finish in the top four. Considering that he still finished in the Top 10 last year with all of his injuries, then I'd put him on the same level as Wiggins at least.

2. Kreuzinger- could end up being the go to guy for Liquigas, and is probably the most gifted on the team

3. Gesink- depends on how he has progressed

4. Levi Leipheimer/Andreas Kloden- either is a very solid GC pick if Armstrong is a no show in form (or other reasons)

5. Mick Rogers- always injured, so people forget that he is a threat

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
1. Contador
2. A. Schleck
3. Menchov
4. Kreuziger
5. Rogers
6. Armstrong
7. Wiggins
8. Vandevelde
9. Klöden