• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Belgium

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I'd toss in a thread for the Tour of Belgium, with an exciting finale to the Giro this may get overshadowed but I did notice a stage 1 win for Serguei Ivanov( with a team headed by McEwen??) ahead of the 'Mad" Aussie Graeme Brown.

Russian cylists going well at the moment!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Going well indeed!!

The Russian riders are having a very good season thus far. Happy to see the Skil-Shimano as the best ranked team!! The Tour of Belgium is a great race!

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
lookkg386 said:
Just thought I'd toss in a thread for the Tour of Belgium, with an exciting finale to the Giro this may get overshadowed but I did notice a stage 1 win for Serguei Ivanov( with a team headed by McEwen??) ahead of the 'Mad" Aussie Graeme Brown.

Russian cylists going well at the moment!
Ivanov escaped out of an 18 rider lead group right before the last kilometre, using the previously escaped Rosseler as a leadout before going solo. He managed to hold on till the finish and barely stayed ahead of Brown, Golcer and Roelandts.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
&quot said:
Besides the crash in the final metres of the stage, Robbie McEwen (Team Katusha) struck a road sign with two kilometres remaining and crashed heavily. He suffered serious damage to his left knee, tearing ligaments and tendons, which may end the Australian's career.
Latest news: it won't end his career, but it does seem very serious (1 to 4 months out)

Movie: http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/090528_McEwen_na_val

He said he never felt such a pain.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A knee injury to a sprinter usually means around 1.5 years until they fully recover due to muscular imbalance from having to train the legs differently. Look at the time it took Petacchi to recover.

Given McEwen's age....well, you get the picture.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Ah, that explains the somewhat weird looking situation he was. Suddenly stopping along the road, just falling down and not even being able anymore to click his shoe out of the pedal.
Sucks bigtime, I really hope Robbie recovers fast. It would be a shame if his career had to end like this, especially since he was building up again to the Tour. Guess all the team pressure will be on Steegmans and Napolitano in the Tour.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Apparentely McEwen has already undergone surgery tonight. He suffered a complex fracture of the left shinbone, and the tendon in his left knee was almost completely torn. That should take quite the recovery...

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Apparentely McEwen has already undergone surgery tonight. He suffered a complex fracture of the left shinbone, and the tendon in his left knee was almost completely torn. That should take quite the recovery...

On twitter, Robbie writes:

"Had an accident today in tour of Belgium, broke my tibia. Operation, two screws in it.luckily the tendon is ok. Hit a barrier."

http://www.bikechatter.com/main/show/99894

A bunch of other guys commented on it being a really crazy sprint... Anyone watch it?

dimspace said:
warning would have been nice.. :m ad:

i just clicked the link and hit the video without fully reading :(

argh-Picard.jpg

TRENDING THREADS