• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain

On Monday I am going to head to Morridge to watch W̶i̶g̶g̶i̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶v̶ic̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶, I mean the Tour of Britain pass through. Going to try to get a spot near the top of the hill. Any idea what time I should aim to get there for, also I presume you just park in a nearby road (That is off the route obviously).

Race is scheduled to hit Morridge at 11:48. So what time should I get there - anyone have experience of these things :confused:

Thanks !

I was going to try and view a stage this year but as I live in Kidderminster the nearest stage me looks like stoke which is a decent drive away. At least ITV have announced they are showing every stage live for the final 2 hours of each day (take note Spanish producers who only show the final hour)

Pulpstar said:
On Monday I am going to head to Morridge to watch W̶i̶g̶g̶i̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶v̶ic̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶, I mean the Tour of Britain pass through. Going to try to get a spot near the top of the hill. Any idea what time I should aim to get there for, also I presume you just park in a nearby road (That is off the route obviously).

Race is scheduled to hit Morridge at 11:48. So what time should I get there - anyone have experience of these things :confused:

Thanks !

I will be parking on Bakewell and cycling to that spot Pulpstar, will be aiming to get there for 11:00 to have a look around, soak in some atmosphere and catch any breakway that has got away.

Looking forward to it :)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
willbick said:
park in a side road, turn up 1/2 hour before ETA and prepare to be underwhelmed lol

Lol, I would also add that when you see the first motorbike dont panic you've got about half an hour and a million more motorbikes to pass by before you see any cyclists.

Also I recommend watching at the feed zone. The riders will pass slower and there's a good chance a rider will throw you a bottle or a feed bag if you want any freebies. Just do some stretches first because its likely you'll have to sprint to grab them ahead of small children. :D

The Cobra said:
Lol, I would also add that when you see the first motorbike dont panic you've got about half an hour and a million more motorbikes to pass by before you see any cyclists.

Also I recommend watching at the feed zone. The riders will pass slower and there's a good chance a rider will throw you a bottle or a feed bag if you want any freebies. Just do some stretches first because its likely you'll have to sprint to grab them ahead of small children. :D

The small children will, or should be at school!

Last year I went to see them at Gun Hill and they all came past very slowly and were all chatting and taking it steady, was quite cool to see Thor having a good chinwag with one of the Raleigh riders :cool:

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Quite often if a school is en route small children may well be by the roadside, so be prepared to knock them out of the way to get that bidon. As a fully grown adult, this should be fairly easy. Good luck!

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Stage cycling is probably the worst sport ot see live, so don't set expectations too high.

Tour of britain is just like the tour de france except there is more shouting from motorbikes as the roads are not closed.

johnnycash said:
Stage cycling is probably the worst sport ot see live, so don't set expectations too high.

Tour of britain is just like the tour de france except there is more shouting from motorbikes as the roads are not closed.

:D

When I saw my first race live (Kellogs Tour of Britain then) I got there an hour before, waited and it was over in seconds lol, I was gutted.

For me its the *woosh* of the air as the bunch comes passed, the sound of the carbon rims, the smell of the embrocation cream, the clink of the changing of the gears its awesome.

You have to support your local races man despite the quickness of the moment passing :)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Another idea,not sure exactly how close you are but going to the start is great. Much more relaxed atmosphere than you get at the Tour. Riders will walk out the bus and be happy to sign stuff and get the photographs with you. I've got some good ones with Chris Froome from 2009 in his Barloworld days and Pippo in his Italian national champs kit. I remember there was a huge swarm around the Garmin bus to see Wiggo, while 10m away EBH, Lovkvist, Kirchen etc. were coming out the Columbia bus and no one gave a **** so had easy access to go talk to them. :cool:

Then you can drive out onto the course somewhere and watch them go past.

The Cobra said:
Another idea,not sure exactly how close you are but going to the start is great. Much more relaxed atmosphere than you get at the Tour. Riders will walk out the bus and be happy to sign stuff and get the photographs with you. I've got some good ones with Chris Froome from 2009 in his Barloworld days and Pippo in his Italian national champs kit. I remember there was a huge swarm around the Garmin bus to see Wiggo, while 10m away EBH, Lovkvist, Kirchen etc. were coming out the Columbia bus and no one gave a **** so had easy access to go talk to them. :cool:

Then you can drive out onto the course somewhere and watch them go past.

Aye, last season in Stoke we got chatting with Boom about CX riding, he then went to the start, shook our hands and said "Watch this" and pulled a massive wheelie :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Pulpstar said:

Thanks !

The stretch across the A53 at Flash was the most decisive part of the race last year - where Sky split the bunch in the crosswinds. If the race is on then Morridge is a good spot to watch :)

Oh, and take a coat. It's really exposed up there if the weather closes in .

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of heading to Stoke for the start and finish of stage 5. However, I worked out that would mean spending about 4 hours in a place which is a bit like Kabul but with a Tesco. What a dump!!!

I'm now going to head to one of the climbs en route to catch the race there.

If you can make it I'd say Caerphilly Mountain will be the best place to watch. 2 climbs of that with a 5km decent to the finish will surely be a decisive in the race.

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
I was thinking of heading to Stoke for the start and finish of stage 5. However, I worked out that would mean spending about 4 hours in a place which is a bit like Kabul but with a Tesco. What a dump!!!

I'm now going to head to one of the climbs en route to catch the race there.

If you can make it I'd say Caerphilly Mountain will be the best place to watch. 2 climbs of that with a 5km descent to the finish will surely be a decisive in the race.

Haha, Trentham gardens is nice though, albeit with a sh!t coffee shop.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I will make it to the finish of the race at Guildford next Sunday, should be absolutely incredible considering that it finishes on a cobbled climb.

TRENDING THREADS