• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California 2010

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
After the weather of 2007 and 2008, and the inability of organizers to use the high mountain passes due to snow concerns, where is the concencus on a future date for the ToC?

30% Mid to Late March - weather is still iffy

50% April - Lose all the Classics contenders, but great tune up for Giro

10% May - Compete against the Giro...not likely, but GREAT Weather!

10% June - Can it compete with the Dauphine and Switzerland?

Why not make the ToC an equal to the big, non Grand Tour races?

Outside of the US what is the impression of the ToC?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ToC is seen as a season opener - perhaps that some USA cyclists might target for a win, I can't see a European rider targeting this race? A bit like some of the races in the Far East. The only thing that might change this is the sponsors - for example if a big sponsor decides to target the race / rider to win.

A

Anonymous

I think it's hard to place it anywhere else on the calendar at this point in time and get the type of quality field they had this year. But like it was said earlier, this is the opener for many and like Basso, it was used as training.

Although I think a big draw this year for the other teams was Lance's return. Like him or not he draws crowds and attention which equates to good advertising dollars and exposure on national/world-wide TV! So it'll be interesting to see the types of teams that come back next year if Lance isn't racing anymore.

As the race gets more prestigious and if it continues to grow moving the date may be a viable option. But for now... they'll have to deal with the snowy mountain passes, which I feel adds to the race. Especially when Lance PWNS guys in black and yellow holding prop syringes! Hahahhaha!

I think the ToC will always remain an early season race, but that doesn't mean it can't become an important one. Perhaps over time it will become more prestigious.

What I can't understand, is why there wasn't at least one uphill finish? I know the Palomar mountain does not compare to some of the cols raced later in the year, but at 15 miles long and 6.5% avg, I think an uphill finish would have sparked some dramatics.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
If they could run the race later, there are climbs in the Sierra that equal and perhaps even better some of the Alpine climbs. Though is is sort of comparing apples to oranges, the elevations in the Sierra may be higher, but the roads tend to be a bit "better" and wider. Also, some of the Alpine/Pyranean climbs are such classics that it doesn't matter if a Sierra, Rocky, or Apalachian climb is longer, higher, steeper, it will still be a different experience. I, for one like it all. I'd love to see the ToC moved to a later date on the calendar, just so that the opportunity to use more of the state can be taken. Some of the higher climbs, farther east of LA into Big Bear, or the San Gabriels, San Jacinto area would make some great ascents, IMO. While not a mountain stage, Hwy 299 from the coast inland towards Redding would be an awesome stretch to race, or Hwy 36 in towards Chico... So many great roads and big climbs... I think we would still see a pretty high-rent field if the race were in April, or maybe June, post-Giro.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Like others have said i see this as an early season opener, much like our TdU. This works because alot of teams dont mind travelling in the early season because it breaks the boredom of the riders training on the same roads all year round its also good for sponsors to get more exposure. The TdU will always be in Jan because of how far away we are. The ToC could possible be moved to later in the season but you would run the risk of not drawing some of the bigger names, from March to July is all about the euro races, the Vuelta always seems to be mainly spanish riders so you could possible have it after that. The problem you have then is its very late in the season and alot of riders start to wind it back a bit then and travelling all the way to Cali might not appeal. Agreed that later in the year would certainly open the whole state up and might get more intresting / scenic course, you just might not get the quality riders coming.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Moving the dates would mean losing some of the big riders and also the interest of the public.

When ToC starts we are starving for some good cycling but if you move the dates some days later the belgian classics are starting , Paris-Nice, etc so we wouldn't be so enthusiastic about the race

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Palomar could not be used as a mountain top finish simply because it did not have the support structure or parking space needed for a finish to a race. It needs to be a ski area of some sort if they want a mountaintop finish.

There are some other mountains that are viable down near San Diego and LA. So it's possible we'll see a mountaintop finish next year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Great race...

...I stood on the side of the road this year as it came into our area. But I agree with Cranky, Amgen (a drug company) needs to test!

Merckx said:
I think the ToC will always remain an early season race, but that doesn't mean it can't become an important one. Perhaps over time it will become more prestigious.

What I can't understand, is why there wasn't at least one uphill finish? I know the Palomar mountain does not compare to some of the cols raced later in the year, but at 15 miles long and 6.5% avg, I think an uphill finish would have sparked some dramatics.
Interesting prediction.

Ninety5rpm said:
Interesting prediction.

113727d1194053211-es300-a-c-or-cabin-filter-change-97-01-holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
The Amgen Tour of California bicycle race will not grace the San Gabriel Valley this year.

It's not for lack of trying.

With the original May 21 Stage 6 route - from Pasadena to Big Bear by way of Angeles Crest Highway - out of the picture because of unsafe passage on the twisting mountain highway, tour director Andrew Messick turned to another passage through the San Gabriel Mountains.

Amgen bike tour skips the San Gabriel Valley

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
The Amgen Tour of California bicycle race will not grace the San Gabriel Valley this year.

It's not for lack of trying.

With the original May 21 Stage 6 route - from Pasadena to Big Bear by way of Angeles Crest Highway - out of the picture because of unsafe passage on the twisting mountain highway, tour director Andrew Messick turned to another passage through the San Gabriel Mountains.

Amgen bike tour skips the San Gabriel Valley

I try to avoid riding my bike in So. Cal whenever possible also.

TRENDING THREADS