• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Denmark 2019

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I also prefer Tour of Denmark over BinckBank these days. At least ToD doesn't have four pancake flat stages.

Imagine having all the best riders from the cobbled and Ardennes classics here to compete. Could be an elite race with Wellens, Naesen, GVA, Sagan, Alaphillipe, WVA, MVDP and co.

The "Ardennes stage" would obviously be held in Vejle.

The "Flanders stage" could take place in Aabenraa. The cobbled climb Dimen isn't as long as Kappelmuur but the stones are more Roubaix-esque.

Comparable to Molenberg. Dimen might have worse cobblestones, though.

Reactions: Velolover2
What I'll probably never understand: The hills of the Tour of Denmark make it impossible for sprinters to win the GC overall, and yet many Danes keep saying that the terrain is not challenging enough. It's really weird. Maybe it's because these people don't have an insight into other one week stage races and compare the Tour of Denmark to the Dauphiné and Paris-Nice which is of course absurd. Or maybe it's just the good old love of distancing oneself to what seems too easy to identify with.

Last edited:
I really like your stage creation. Which is the hardest climb in Denmark?

Shouldn't they have enough climbs in the Ardennes not to have to circle around the same ones all the time in the Bink Bank Tour

Thank you!

Officially, the hardest climb is on an island located far away from mainland Denmark. I don't know if that really counts.

The three main climbs (Munkebjerg, Østergård Hill & Højen Hill) on my list compatible to the hardest climbs in Amstel but nothing like the real Ardennes.

But as Simurgh stated, there is properly more potential for a hilly one-day or a road WC race in Vejle than an elite week-long race in Denmark.

It's possible to make a one-day race with the almost the same amount of climbing as Liège-Bastogne-Liège if you make it over 250 km.

Thank you!

Officially, the hardest climb is on an island located far away from mainland Denmark. I don't know if that really counts.

The three main climbs (Munkebjerg, Østergård Hill & Højen Hill) on my list compatible to the hardest climbs in Amstel but nothing like the real Ardennes.

But as Simurgh stated, there is properly more potential for a hilly one-day or a road WC race in Vejle than an elite week-long race in Denmark.

It's possible to make a one-day race with the almost the same amount of climbing as Liège-Bastogne-Liège if you make it over 250 km.

That would be quite a nice 1 day race.

Thank you!

If repetitive climbs are used (more than they are now), you could design a five stage race with one TT, one sprint stage (Copenhagen) and three hilly stages fully comparable to Amstel Gold Race just by keeping the finish lines of this year's race and removing the initial flat parts of those three stages.

If repetitive climbs are used (more than they are now), you could design a five stage race with one TT, one sprint stage (Copenhagen) and three hilly stages fully comparable to Amstel Gold Race just by keeping the finish lines of this year's race and removing the initial flat parts of those three stages.
Exactly. Or perhaps you could start the race in Frederiksberg with a short prologue that includes "Valby Bakke" and make four different classics test.

I made a 13 km loop with Hjarupvej + Dimen + Jørgen Skovvej. Imagine spicing it up with some gravel roads before they hit the laps.

Dimen is as you stated comparable to Molenberg but the stones are more like something you'll see in Paris-Roubaix. Or something in between Ronde and Roubaix pavé. The Flemish cobbles tend to be more linear.

If such a hill doesn't split the peloton, nothing does.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
What I'll probably never understand: The hills of the Tour of Denmark make it impossible for sprinters to win the GC overall, and yet people keep saying that the terrain is not challenging enough. It's really weird. Maybe it's because these people don't have an insight into other one week stage races and compare the Tour of Denmark to the Dauphiné and Paris-Nice which is of course absurd. Or maybe it's just the good old love of distancing oneself to what seems too easy to identify with.

With a shorter TT Breschel could have probably won a couple of times, so it's a case of the ITT beong too long ;)

One a more serious note, I think Bennati nearly won once as well, but Gerrans did a better ITT which decided the race

Reactions: Danskebjerge
Yeah, there really is a potential of a hilly one-day race in Vejle and its surroundings - I read a while ago that the Deputy Major of Vejle municipality wants to launch a one-day race if the Grand Depart in 2021 goes as well as expected. And I think if done right, it could to a degree replicate the success of Strade Bianche, even though I certainly recognize that the popularity is generated by the fact, that Strade is a unique race, especially because of its sterrati.

Would be incredible if this idea will materialize. They can scrap the TOD on the same occasion, even as this year's edition has been allright so far, it always feels a bit provincial.

TRENDING THREADS