• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Denmark

Fuglsang won last year to earn his contract with Saxo Bank, this year he will be focused on getting ready for the year. Probably will be another Saxo Bank rider though. This is another example of a race that returned on the back of the success of a national rider, in this case Bjarne Riis. The race ran for a few years in the 80s but then ceased to exist but returned in the late 90s due to the success of Bjarne Riis. Always has a good field but is usually a CSC/Saxo Bank fest.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala...they have the profiles on the official site...I don't know how to put into this post however...

Stage 1 very flat

Stage 2 some minor bumps

Stage 3 see stage 2

Stage 4 pretty flat

Stage 5 short tt

Stage 6 mostly flat...one climb

To be honest, I can't tell by looking at their profiles how intense the climbs are...any help here? I think they are a lot harder than the profile map makes out.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Bala...they have the profiles on the official site...I don't know how to put into this post however...

Stage 1 very flat

Stage 2 some minor bumps

Stage 3 see stage 2

Stage 4 pretty flat

Stage 5 short tt

Stage 6 mostly flat...one climb

To be honest, I can't tell by looking at their profiles how intense the climbs are...any help here? I think they are a lot harder than the profile map makes out.

don't think there is a mountain in denmark - nearest they get are some hills. so this is one that is bound to be flat for most of it

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
don't think there is a mountain in denmark - nearest they get are some hills. so this is one that is bound to be flat for most of it

Thanks for the update...I did not know the terrain of Denmark!!! Now I do!! Thanks again.

Still,with these small bumps,how in the world did Ivan Basso managed to win 3 or 4 stages in a row a few years ago?:p
The Roskilde TT should be the decisive stage,supposing no breakaways will succeed.

laurentiu46 said:
Still,with these small bumps,how in the world did Ivan Basso managed to win 3 or 4 stages in a row a few years ago?:p
The Roskilde TT should be the decisive stage,supposing no breakaways will succeed.
Team CSC [Saxo Bank] has been the dominating team for the last 6-7 years. They control the speed of the peleton. Kinda like what US Postal/Discovery did during Armstrong's reign.
oldtolmieroad said:
Thanks Doc for the link it has live feed Hunt one of 5 in a break, I cant read Danish I will put it on my list of things to do.
You could just have someone translate it for you. Hunt is currently in the point jersey having won both of the sprints so far.

About the stage profiles. Denmark is flat, but has some steep short hills here and there. This is why classics style riders often do well. They can power over the bumps and do a decent ITT.

What often surprise people is how windy it is at times. I live where it's really flat and it's not uncommon for me to ride in headwinds that will make a flat road feel like the Galibier, and they often place the stages so riders will be hit by sidewind.

TRENDING THREADS