• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Denmark

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Todays stage (#2) is going to be influenced by bad weather in Denmark. A coldfront is passing, resulting in gusty winds (17 meters pr. sec) and heavy showers. Especially a lot of sidewinds are disrupting the peloton.

I'm going to see the finish at Tangkrogen at about 16:40 I hope for another Breschel win!

There was a "break away" of 30 riders. The entire Saxo Bank and Cervelo team (each missing 1 rider) were in the group, 5 riders from Capinordic and a few others.

Edit: Top 5
1. Nicki Sørensen, Saxo Bank
2. Matti Breschel, Saxo Bank +0.11
3. Simon Gerrans, Cervélo +0.22
4. Martin Reimer, Cérvelo +0.26
5. Martin Pedersen, Capinordic s.t.

The cross wind had a big impact on the "queen" stage today. Jakob Fuglsang, last years winner, won the third stage and claimed the yellow jersey.

The top 3 looks like this:

1) Jakob Fuglsang
2) Nick Sørensen +7
3) Matti Breschel +12

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Fuglsang looks a good rider. What a buy by Saxo Bank though. He was going to sign for Columbia until they found out that he apparently had trained with Michael Rasmussen on several occasions.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Video footage from the 3 first stages Tour of Denmark

Danish TV shows a recap daily with about 30 mins of the Tour of Denmark, speak and interviews ARE in Danish - but the footage needs no translation:
http://www.dr.dk/Forms/Published/PlaylistGen.aspx?qid=1096172&odp=true&bitrate=medium
Stage 3 - the actual coverage does not start until about 10mins in
http://www.dr.dk/Forms/Published/PlaylistGen.aspx?qid=1095856&odp=true&bitrate=medium
stage 2
http://www.dr.dk/Forms/Published/PlaylistGen.aspx?qid=1094698&odp=true&bitrate=medium
stage 1

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I just got home straight from the Roskilde Timetrial. Some Italian guy (sorry, I don't remember his name) from Ceramica Flaminia won the stage 28(!) seconds in front of Saramontis, and Alex Rasmussen, who were only seperated by one second. :) 4th was Jakob Fuglsang, another one second after Alex Rasmussen, so it WAS very close. :) (15,1 km Timetrial. :))

The overall now is:
Jakob Fuglsang
The Italian guy +3(!)
Roger Hammond

So, it's gonna be VERY exciting, to see tomorrow, if TIG can rob Jakob of the Yellow Jersey. :)

The stage earlier today, was won by Jeremy Hunt, Cervelo Test Team. :)

what a ridicolous thread. in that light, we might, on base of the UCI world tour, also ask the following questions

Why are Luxemburg, Great-Britain and Norway suddenly better cycling nations than the Netherlands and France?

It's such a nonsense. Most of it has to do with the succes of the very very few top riders a nation has. Well obviously Italy and Spain always have masses, and usually Belgium has a few for the northern classics as well. But apart from that, it's very thin.
And since the UCI World tour ranking is, in comparison to the old UCI ranking, much more rewarding to a nation with a few top riders instead of 10 sub top riders, we get these crazy rankings.

For example, on the old UCI ranking, with all professional races counting instead of just the Pro/Historic ones, France would have been 6th, Netherlands 9th and Great-Britain would be 10th, Luxemburg and Norway not even in the top 10.
In the UCI World ranking however, Luxemburg is ahead of Belgium (?!?) at 6th, Norway and Britain just inside the top 10, and France 12th, Netherlands 13th...

Which means countries like Britain, Norway and Luxemburg, who only have a few quality pro's, get to go to the worlds with 9 riders, while they don't even have 9 world championship-worthy pro's. And countries like France and the Netherlands have to do with 6.

Where is the logic?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
what a ridicolous thread. in that light, we might, on base of the UCI world tour, also ask the following questions

Why are Luxemburg, Great-Britain and Norway suddenly better cycling nations than the Netherlands and France?

It's such a nonsense. Most of it has to do with the succes of the very very few top riders a nation has. Well obviously Italy and Spain always have masses, and usually Belgium has a few for the northern classics as well. But apart from that, it's very thin.
And since the UCI World tour ranking is, in comparison to the old UCI ranking, much more rewarding to a nation with a few top riders instead of 10 sub top riders, we get these crazy rankings.

For example, on the old UCI ranking, with all professional races counting instead of just the Pro/Historic ones, France would have been 6th, Netherlands 9th and Great-Britain would be 10th, Luxemburg and Norway not even in the top 10.
In the UCI World ranking however, Luxemburg is ahead of Belgium (?!?) at 6th, Norway and Britain just inside the top 10, and France 12th, Netherlands 13th...

Which means countries like Britain, Norway and Luxemburg, who only have a few quality pro's, get to go to the worlds with 9 riders, while they don't even have 9 world championship-worthy pro's. And countries like France and the Netherlands have to do with 6.

Where is the logic?

Wrong thread? :p

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Where is the logic?

actually i don't think luxembourg get to travel with nine riders as they don't have nine who are eligible, the reason escapes me. think the same goes for norway too?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Where is the logic?

I agree, the ranking system is terrible. I don't think luxemburg could even field a 6 man team, let alone a 9 man team :rolleyes: how does exciting siblings outrank an entire nation? silly.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Dane Jacob Fuglsang wins Tour of Denmark. It is his second year in a row. Last year he was riding for continental team Designa Køkken, but now he rides for Saxo Bank.

He will be riding the Vuelta later this month as the captain of Saxo Bank,

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
Dane Jacob Fuglsang wins Tour of Denmark. It is his second year in a row. Last year he was riding for continental team Designa Køkken, but now he rides for Saxo Bank.

He will be riding the Vuelta later this month as the captain of Saxo Bank,

Yeah! and watch out! he might go for top10 this year:) Cant wait to follow him in the future! big comet star

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Puerto said:
Yeah! and watch out! he might go for top10 this year:) Cant wait to follow him in the future! big comet star

Yep, he will, and with the Schleck-brothers as helpers. :) Luxus! :)

I'm guessing he will be 6th. XD

He might win the Tour de France once day.......! :eek::D:D

May 6, 2009
Visit site
SarahDane said:
He probably is, but where do you get that from? I'm an optimist, but I'll say, RIGHT NOW! HE WONT! :)

I read in Pro Cycling Magazine earlier in the year when they did their 'Fab Four' special.

TRENDING THREADS