• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Denmark

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Italian continental teams would be a great place for the UCI to start some targeted testing.

Biondo and his teammates were dominating some of the Dutch classics this spring despite wind, rain and lack of experience in the conditions.

I am really not surprised this lad has been busted to be honest.

I made some comments here about this months ago.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Didn't Ceramica Flaminia also recently sign (ex)-doper Sella...

No, they signed Riccò. Sella's at Carmio-Oro with a bunch of other "former" (*snicker*) dopers.

Biondo won mountain stages, time trials and mass sprints regularly. Now we know why

Wow, this is crazy shit! So, just for fun I looked up 'buy epo' on Google. Now, I realize there are large number on this forum who know way more than I do and that this has very likely already been covered by others, but nevertheless, here is my point ...

It looks like you could likely buy enough EPO to "fuel" your performance very well for a season, and it would not cost you more than tricked out carbon wheels and Optygen for a year (Optygen for a year is what, about $1000?). Before I get raked over the coals, I am not saying that EPO supplants training or genetics. But, I think I could "buy" myself much better results via EPO than spending money on Optygen and those new carbon wheels I just bought!

The reason why I even bring this up? You don't have to be pro-tour to have access to some seriously powerful cheating tools. And you can do very well and get lots of fame and $$ on your way, and perhaps get noticed by a big team, which takes you to the next step, etc. This stuff makes me glad I am an old fart who now rides/races just to blow off steam and stay in shape.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
dirty teams

who signs Riccardo Riccò with still a year to run on his suspension? the same team that Maurizio Biondo rides for team Ceramica.

italy is still in Omerta -Teams have not moved away from endemic drug use.
spain too Euskaltel-Euskadi team said they are going to 'stand by' Mikel Astarloza. stand by means F@£k off UCI/WADA/FANS,

dirty teams!

go garmin

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
The Director of the Tour of Denmark, Jesper Worre, has said that since Biondo has been tested several times during the Tour of Denmark and came up negative we have to assume he was clean then. Aren't you all happy to hear that?

To be fair to Worre he's probably not actually a complete moron, but since he can't (to my knowledge) disqualify Biondo, Worre almost has to pretend to believe Biondo was clean.

BroDeal said:
How long can omerta remain in force when riders who cannot afford transfusions have to resort to easily detectable drugs and thus keep getting busted? It seems like there should be a lot of resentment among the little fish.
There should be.

One point of view is that they can not talk because they don't know or don't have access to what the "Big Fish" are doing anyway.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
snip

To be fair to Worre he's probably not actually a complete moron, but since he can't (to my knowledge) disqualify Biondo, Worre almost has to pretend to believe Biondo was clean.

That's my impression too. Worre has previously been pretty outspoken (for a race director) on doping issues, riders and teams.

And Biondi was of course riding clean when he got his best results during the first part of the season. He only started doping to be on safe side.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
DarkWing said:
Worre could be right though. I've heard the detection time for NESP is close to a month.

I hadn't actually heard about NESP before this episode, but when a rider rides suspiciously well and is caught for doping shortly after that, I can put 2 and 2 together. I'd put good money on his time trial being fuelled by somerthing, it might have been some other EPO-variation then NESP or even a blood transfusion, but I doubt it was clear water and clean living.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I hadn't actually heard about NESP before this episode, but when a rider rides suspiciously well and is caught for doping shortly after that, I can put 2 and 2 together. I'd put good money on his time trial being fuelled by somerthing, it might have been some other EPO-variation then NESP or even a blood transfusion, but I doubt it was clear water and clean living.

yeah no doubt.

But it probably wasn't NESP - probably alpha or blood, as you said.

TRENDING THREADS