• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Missouri, has set a pull-out deadline of May 7

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Update 05.05.2010 4:12 pm

More woes for Tour of Missouri | The Tour of Missouri seems one step closer to cancellation

"Marci Bennett, chair of the tourism commission, said the commission would probably use its discretion to divert the money"

The rub is that Medalist Sports, which provides teams, sponsorships and serves as a liaison with cycling’s national and international governing bodies, set a deadline of May 7 to know whether the state would provide funding. Without the funding, or without a definitive answer, Medalist would withdraw from the event. The group has been working without a contract since November, when its agreement with Tour of Missouri, Inc., expired.

Medalist’s reputation, built through years of work with the Tours of Georgia and California, helped the race here attract top teams and riders, then earn the top ranking from cycling’s international governing body after just two years.

Full report on the matter: http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/10-speed/10-speed/2010/05/more-woes-for-tour-of-missouri/

Based on attitudes in Missouri, it doesn't appear likely that the race will be held this year as the tourism board probably won't kick in the funding that would be needed to help attract other sponsors. It's a shame that the Tour of Missouri will be going the same way as the Tour of Georgia as I thought that it was a fine addition to the race calendar.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hanging by a thread

Tour of Missouri boosters push for state support

Associated Press - May 7, 2010 12:24 PM ET

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Tour of Missouri supporters still hope to convince Gov. Jay Nixon and the state Tourism Commission to provide $1 million for the 2010 race.

Race organizers said Friday they hope that public pressure will help change the state's mind. That was the case in 2009, when Nixon dropped his opposition to the race's $1.5 million tourism allocation.

Full:http://www.koamtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12446059

05.07.2010 9:00 am
Medalist relaxes deadline from withdrawing from Tour of Missouri

The management company that runs the Tour of Missouri decided to soften its deadline for withdrawing from the race after grass roots organizers asked for a chance to plead their case directly to lawmakers in Jefferson City.

Cycling enthusiasts have organized a rally for noon May 15 at the foot of the Capitol.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/10-speed/10-speed/2010/05/medalist-relaxes-deadline-from-withdrawing-from-tour-of-missouri/

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
@$^/%#!*&

'Tour of Missouri ’set to cancel’ 2010 race'
by Steve Frothingham | May 27, 2010

A Missouri tourism oversight commission on Thursday approved an annual spending plan that does not include funding for the Tour of Missouri, and the race’s organizers are all but conceding that the battle is over and the race will not be held this year ...

More to this: http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/news/tour-of-missouri-set-to-cancel-2010-race_118846

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, with the Lance stuff going down it may be just as well that they're ahead of the curve.

If all the people named by Landis go down, I feel pretty certain there won't be any pro-level events left in the US.

The TOC might have survived without Lance... but no Lance, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Zabriskie or the other US riders named?

I can't see US sponsors paying for a race without a single US headliner.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Well it's just a crying shame that it's personal politics that killed this race... all because the Governor has a vendetta against the Lt Governor. Very sad. I will really really miss it. :(

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Well, with the Lance stuff going down it may be just as well that they're ahead of the curve.

If all the people named by Landis go down, I feel pretty certain there won't be any pro-level events left in the US.

The TOC might have survived without Lance... but no Lance, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Zabriskie or the other US riders named?

I can't see US sponsors paying for a race without a single US headliner.

I disagree with that, the sponsors are paying for visibility and people in Missouri would come out to see the race without those guys in particular, IMO. Lance has NEVER come to the ToM and never said he planned to in the future, so he has nothing to do with it.

The fans knew who ALL the pro riders were, not just Americans. Jens Voight may have had the most cheers of all (coming after his TdF crash). Vande Velde was the winner year before last, and was the closest thing to a hometown boy (being from Chicago, lol). I would be disappointed not to see Hincapie or Zabriskie, but I would still go. Anyone who actually knows who those people are, are cycling fans, and excited to see this caliber race in our state, which always seemed like something of a miracle to me anyway. I have a hard time believing that people who love this event, and travel along following it all week, and volunteer for it, are going to stop because Levi Leipheimer isn't there.

None of this race's problems had to do with cycling problems, or lack of interest. This race died, or it was killed rather, because of Missouri politics.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Natasha said:
I disagree with that, the sponsors are paying for visibility and people in Missouri would come out to see the race without those guys in particular, IMO. Lance has NEVER come to the ToM and never said he planned to in the future, so he has nothing to do with it.

The fans knew who ALL the pro riders were, not just Americans. Jens Voight may have had the most cheers of all (coming after his TdF crash). Vande Velde was the winner year before last, and was the closest thing to a hometown boy (being from Chicago, lol). I would be disappointed not to see Hincapie or Zabriskie, but I would still go. Anyone who actually knows who those people are, are cycling fans, and excited to see this caliber race in our state, which always seemed like something of a miracle to me anyway. I have a hard time believing that people who love this event, and travel along following it all week, and volunteer for it, are going to stop because Levi Leipheimer isn't there.

None of this race's problems had to do with cycling problems, or lack of interest. This race died, or it was killed rather, because of Missouri politics.

People who know cycling aren't what make it financially successful.

For that you need the people who barely know cycling... but might know a name or two. The so called "casual cycling fan".

In my office everyone knows who Lance Armstrong is. Most know who George Hincapie is (I work near Greenville, SC, where he lives). A few know who Levi Leipheimer is. Only me and the one ofther cycling fan in the office know who Jens Voigt is.

I imagine in California, Leipheimer and Hincapie would be reversed in my example.

Diehard fans are great... but they're going to be there regardless. It's capturing the causal fan that can make a race in the US have some financial success. Even if Contador came and raced... I don't think it would matter. I think big US names are required here to drive fan interest (which drives sponsorships).

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
It's capturing the causal fan that can make a race in the US have some financial success. Even if Contador came and raced... I don't think it would matter. I think big US names are required here to drive fan interest (which drives sponsorships).

I agree and not to switch examples or venues but the Philadelphia race coming up which used to host the US Pro Road championship still attracts large crowds. The race alone is probably responsible for introducing bike racing to many sports enthusiasts to the greater Philadelphia area. A casual observer out for a day with the family is able to view the race from many different locations and while its true it's a single day race the build-up is always a positive one.

I think for me the "Why Missouri?" question has always been there in my mind with this Pro Tour.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Again, the Tour of Missouri was not canceled due to lack of either interest or financial success. It was canceled because of local politics.

Everyone in America knows who Lance is... Lance has never been involved with the ToM... The success of the race never had anything to do with having a big "headliner." Hincapie and Leipheimer are not household names in Missouri. But this race was growing and growing, and creating cycling fans. As it went thru various towns in the state, people became interested. It's quite the spectacle, and it's even free! And it drew many, many out of state visitors, which is supposed to be the point of having a tourism board, but instead we will just get more brochures for Branson out of them. And a Pony Express anniversary.

Support of this race has been a political dogfight, and the governor killed it DESPITE evidence of financial success. The ToM was a successful event by anyone's standards.

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Even if Contador came and raced... I don't think it would matter. I think big US names are required here to drive fan interest (which drives sponsorships).

Contador did come and race. He was here for the first year, fresh off winning the TdF. Many people watching that race did not know who he was.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Very unfortunate ToM is not happening. I like to see the domestique riders against the Euros. Oh well America the Provincial. GWB should be proud!

TRENDING THREADS