• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Utah, August 17-22

The Tour of Utah is branded as America's toughest stage race because it passes the Rocky Mountain's Wasatch Range surrounding Salt Lake City and challenges the peloton to 480km and more than 30,000 feet of high altitude climbing over a period of six days.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/6th-tour-of-utah-ne/preview

Mancebo defending against 2008 winner Jeff Louder and likely challenger Leipheimer. Should be a killer race.

Prologue Aug 17 Utah State Capitol 4.5 km
Stage 1 Aug 18 Ogden - Salt Lake City 137 km
Stage 2 Aug 19 Thanksgiving Point - Mount Nebo 126.3 km
Stage 3 Aug 20 Miller Motorsports Park 14.8 km
Stage 4 Aug 21 Downtown Park City
Stage 5 Aug 22 :D Park City - Snowbird 165 km :D

http://www.tourofutah.com/

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Stage 5 Aug 22 :D Park City - Snowbird 165 km :D

That stage is pretty epic, but they should run it slighly in reverse, going from Salt Lake City, over the hill to Alpine, up American Fork Canyon/Alpine loop around Jordanelle Res and in to Park City.

Then to make it real fun, they should go on the gravel roads (Think Giro) up Guardsman Pass, down Big Cottonwood and over to the finishing climb up Little Cottonwood to Snowbird.

That would make it far and away the toughest single day's race in the USA.

Squares said:
That stage is pretty epic, but they should run it slighly in reverse, going from Salt Lake City, over the hill to Alpine, up American Fork Canyon/Alpine loop around Jordanelle Res and in to Park City.

Then to make it real fun, they should go on the gravel roads (Think Giro) up Guardsman Pass, down Big Cottonwood and over to the finishing climb up Little Cottonwood to Snowbird.

That would make it far and away the toughest single day's race in the USA.

The Alpine Loop is steeper on the Sundance side. I don't think the gravel on Guardsman is ridable on a roadbike.

I think I will be at the Mt. Nebo stage.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The Alpine Loop is steeper on the Sundance side.

I think so too, but either way up is still pretty tough and the decents are tought to with all the switchbacks.

BroDeal said:
I don't think the gravel on Guardsman is ridable on a roadbike.

They usually plow it in the summer so that it is passable without big ruts for cars. If they made the road passable for bikes it would be an incredible ride just 15 miles from the finish climb.

BroDeal said:
The Alpine Loop is steeper on the Sundance side. I don't think the gravel on Guardsman is ridable on a roadbike.

I think I will be at the Mt. Nebo stage.

The gravel's rideable, but not very enjoyable. I rode it up from the Park City side home to Salt Lake. Even before that, the road gets REALLY steep. It's 13% or so above construction at the new Montage resort. The gravel section is very steep in sections, but the worst part was the dust.

The Mt. Nebo stage is great. That's one of the best rides in the area. I've cursed my bike many times on that mountain.

Moose McKnuckles said:
The gravel's rideable, but not very enjoyable. I rode it up from the Park City side home to Salt Lake. Even before that, the road gets REALLY steep. It's 13% or so above construction at the new Montage resort. The gravel section is very steep in sections, but the worst part was the dust.

Kewl. The last time I was there was a few years ago driving from the finish of the Wasatch Front 100 run to Brighton. I remember thinking that it would be a great ride if the road was not so crappy (and there were no worries about the thorns that are a plague on the entire region).

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This should be fun. The prologue runs just up the hill from my office. I'll probably walk up there after work to check it out.

It's beastly hot today too. The asphalt blazes at 6pm here.

No live streaming yet. Race ticker at:

http://twitter.com/theTourofUtah

Ok... I'm following them... Oh come on w/o live streaming we miss all the fun... :(

Moose McKnuckles said:
This should be fun. The prologue runs just up the hill from my office. I'll probably walk up there after work to check it out.

It's beastly hot today too. The asphalt blazes at 6pm here.

Nice. Am jealous. Try to get some pics! I used to enjoy doing an easy spin up City Creek after a ride up one of the Cottonwoods. I used to live on 2nd avenue, and I remember walking over for the circuit race that ran up and around the capital a few years ago.

My wife is in Salt Lake right now, visiting her parents. I'm gutted that she's going to see parts of the ToU and I'm stuck in Texas... :(

EDIT: Brodeal: You did the Wasatch 100? Brutal. I worked with a guy who does it every year; he always takes several days off to recover.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There will be Live Dashboard at SteepHiill.TV: http://www.steephill.tv/tour-of-utah/

The racemap:
All_Stages_2010-2.jpg

Top 20 last year 2009 GC standings |

1. Francisco Mancebo Perez (ESP), Rock Racing, 12.28:35
2. Darren Lill (RSA), Team Type 1, at 0:46
3. Jeff Louder (USA), BMC Pro Cycling Team, at 1:29
4. Alex Howes (USA), Felt-Holowesko, at 1:54
5. Philip Zajicek (USA), Fly V Australia, at 2:03
6. Burke Swindlehurst (USA), Bissell Pro Cycling, at 2:18
7. Matthew Busche (USA), Kelly Benefit Strategies, at 2:36
8. Patrick Mccarty (USA), OUCH-Maxxis, at 3:05
9. Oscar Sevilla (ESP), Rock Racing, at 4:14
10. Brent Bookwalter (USA), BMC Pro Cycling Team, at 4:18
11. Dan Bowman (USA), Kelly Benefit Strategies, at 5:38
12. Matthew Cooke (USA), Rideclean p/b Patentit.com, at 7:24
13. Glen Chadwick (NZL), Rock Racing, at 8:44
14. Peter Stetina (USA), Felt-Holowesko, at 8:47
15. Max Jenkins (USA), Kfan Composite Team, at 9:02
16. Tyler Wren (USA), Colavita Olive Oil-Sutter Home, at 9:25
17. Scott Tietzel (USA), Kfan Composite Team, at 10:20
18. Bradley White (USA), OUCH-Maxxis, at 10:32
19. Ben Jacques-maynes (USA), Bissell Pro Cycling, at 10:48

Still remember double-up 2009 stage 1:
jd_09toustg1005_600.jpg

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize there were so many people from Utah on this forum. I'll be at the first stage later today and somewhere up Little Cottonwood on Saturday. Rooting for a friend on the KBS team!

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
DigitalIbis said:
I didn't realize there were so many people from Utah on this forum.

No joke.

I'll be riding in the lead car tomorrow doing crowd counts, and volunteering at the PC crit and LCC finish on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

auscyclefan94 said:
Go bookwalter! Hope he beats bottle in the prologue!

What about Ben Day? He's enjoyed some success stateside these past few years--maybe he'll add to his palmares?

I'd love to see Swindlehurst get a good overall result, so I'm pulling for him to place well. Louder, too, and any of the other local boys. (Could this be a stage for Dave Harward?)

Thoughts on Hincapie in this? If he's motivated he may be able to win the prologue and hold the jersey for a day. He certainly seems to like short stage races in the US, though I'd much rather see one of the local guys in yellow.

Thanks for posting all of that, DAOTEC. Sad that Sevilla won't be back this year.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
DigitalIbis said:
I didn't realize there were so many people from Utah on this forum.

There are a lot of people who are FROM Utah.

I grew up there and now live on the east coast. I love to go back for skiing in the winter and riding in the summer. I laughed at the first person who talked about the great Mountain biking trails on the east coast after having the Wasatch Crest trail within a 20 minute drive.

It will be great to hear the reports of the race.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
taylor & me

check out my pictures of taylor p. and me & youngstrong, garmin boyz having a chat on PEARL ST. west end coffee shop, before ride to Ward.
G O T A Y L O R you R O C K big

TRENDING THREADS