• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Series Kicks Off Next Week

A

Anonymous

Anyone got it coming to them...

we have it in exeter week after next, just seen the circuit and bang on what we had imagined it would be...

Not sure about the idea of the leading team wearing blue tour series jerseys though.. can imagine halfords would rather be out in there jerseys advertising, than wearing an all blue one..

should be fun watching downing and m.elliot tearing it up around our streets.. we even have a cobbled (well ish) finish.. :D

Technically I have two local to me, one in Chester, and one in Southport. Looking forward to both and have also volunteered as a marshall to help out for them. I think numbers will be relatively small at the events, a couple of thousand, though I hope i'm wrong as i think the Olympic effect will have worn off now.

As a series it makes sense, similar to the Criterium series that they have the USA, and upgrading the series we have had over here for years in order to gain more publicity.

It may make more sense however to hold it a little bit later in the year, and have a big one after the Tour to have a post-Tour crit here and get some of the big international names over which would increase crowd numbers emphatically.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Woking

I guess the logic is in reverse: These events will get the public enthusiastic for the larger races later in the year (including the Tour Of Britain) where the 'big' names will be competing. At Woking there is racing from early in the afternoon for children & others with no experience of racing.

I hope the weather will be good, as volunteering will be for 8hrs, in return for a goody bag and a food voucher!!

Milessio said:
I guess the logic is in reverse: These events will get the public enthusiastic for the larger races later in the year (including the Tour Of Britain) where the 'big' names will be competing. At Woking there is racing from early in the afternoon for children & others with no experience of racing.

I hope the weather will be good, as volunteering will be for 8hrs, in return for a goody bag and a food voucher!!

We have been told to turn up at 4pm, don't expect it to last till midnight though.

The goody bag will be a t-shirt and a badge of some sort as usual.

But food voucher, don't make me laugh you have to bring your own packed lunch for tea-time.

If anyone has any ideas on something interesting to take along I may well make it for the day.

A

Anonymous

exeter next thursday the town is shut off most of the day as far as i know...

various kids events during the day etc, there is the massive bonus that it is half term that week, exeter city council is very pro cycling and i think they pushed for that week (in fact devon/somerset as a whole has had the ToB two years in a row, and i believe again this year)

theres racing from about 6 with local teams of 3 entering a 1hr race (i think tt style) and then the main race.. interesting that in thinking about it we had a course in our head, and the organisers have done the same course, exactly..

looking forward to it.. not marshalling as did not know beforehand about work commitments and thought the wife was teaching as we did not realise it was half term..

gonna be good to see the elderly pensioner that is malcolm elliot flying around the circuit.. you gotta love him.. :D

i think the timing may be to fit around other things.. avoid the ToB but also weather related.. dunno about other areas but a third of our course is new style flat cobbling, and some of the course is on pretty ropey rodes.. wouldnt want to be riding flat out on it in the wet.. the finishing stretch is superb though.. good and wide, new style cobbling and about a 200 yard stretch.. should be fun..

TRENDING THREADS