• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tragic News

A

Anonymous

It is with a very heavy heart, that I am the bearer of extremely sad news.

it is the second time in a matter of months that this duty has fallen to me, and each time is equally heartbreaking.

On Saturday the 11th of February, Craig Walsh, known to many of you as Craig1985 was tragically killed after a collision with a motor car while riding his bike.

I really dont know what to say, except that my knowledge of craig was that of a great guy.

On February 18th more than 60 cyclists rode from the Luke Harrop track at Runaway Bay to the funeral at Allambe Gardens in Nerang in memory of the 26-year-old.

In a poignant twist, Craigs signature on the cycling news forums pays tributes to three people. Xavier Tondo, Wouter Weyland, and John The Swordsman.

Words cannot describe how I feel knowing he has now been added to that list.

I will try at some point to contact a member of his club, or a member of the family so that we may pass on our sympathies.

craig-walsh-deep.jpg

378886_10151047006705062_892240061_21518820_1846404478_n.jpg

Craig Walsh. 1985 - 2012

Wow. That's just completely unbelievable. At a loss for words. I had been wondering why he seemed to have stopped posting, but never imagined for a second it would be for anything like this.

He was a good guy to have around, always gave the impression he'd be a great guy to hang around with, and the forum was better for his contribution. Thoughts to those who knew him.

A

Anonymous

the fact his avatar is that of John the Swordsman is almost too much.

Devastating :(

This is deep.

Craig really was imo one of the best cycling fans in the world, and I don't hand that one out, even in threads like these, unless I think it is earned.

Had high level knowledge of the pros, and rode at a very high level in local crits. Loved and took part in the sport at all its levels.

Didnt always show his high knowledge kept it to himself and lurked often, but you could se he had it like for example when he wrote on 1 of the Vuelta 10 stage threads that Hushovd had won the stage in the Volta Catalunya some years back.
Or that avatar he had of Abdoujaparov

Was always great to read his posts about how he had just ridden with this pro or that. Fan stories like that are my favourite posts to read and Craig offered these feel good stories as much as anyone.

He also posted with joy about his trips to europe for whcih he had saved up long for, in order to watch the Tour de France, what had been a dream of his.

Never got into any **** with anybody on here.
I remember when people were beating up on jens and craig posted with a smiley that he likes jens posts cos they are different.

Loved the forum too. Many of his posts where jokes to other posters or about their posting styles.

As I remember his signature also had the words "hope I do not have to add to this list".

What a sad irony.

I don't know how you found out dim but chapeau on doing so and letting the community pay its respects.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dude noooo! :( I'm so very very very sad now :(

I had quite some good moments with him on here and had hoped to one day ride the RvV cyclosportive with him....

Rest in peace brother :(

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
For some of us we've been interacting with this kid for almost three years, super nice guy, wish I could have met him too. He will be missed like family, like a brother.....................:(

This is horrible news. 26 years is not nearly enough. I don't even know what to say. I've "known" Craig for years through cycling forums, especially this one.

Craig, may you get a group ride together up there, and maybe be a guiding force for other cyclists. Keep the family safe.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Truly sad about this. Craig was a genuinely nice bloke. Very knowledgeable and thoughtful poster, with a bit of cheek about him, which I liked.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I hope his family can look at the things he did and understand why he did them. His love of 2 wheels may not be his legacy but he enjoyed it and we enjoyed him. RIP super sad

May 14, 2010
Visit site
This is unbelievable to me. After John aka The Swordsman died, I was struck by Craig taking The Swordsman's avatar as his own, complete with John's lifespan dates. It was a single, small gesture, but to me it was a clue to Craig's character. It hinted at generosity and an unusual sense of responsibility, among other things. I thought about that every time I saw the avatar on one of Craig's posts. It seems crazy that the very guy who did it would have this happen to him. Crazy and unfair.

Thank you for letting us know, dim. My sympathies to his friends and family, especially his parents.

TRENDING THREADS