• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tragic News

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I feel guilty for not seeing the horrible news earlier.

Good, balanced and friendly poster as only a person with the same real life qualities could be.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Sad indeed. I had a friend that got hit by a car but luckily she recovered after years of therapy. She was in a coma for weeks. I used to be concerned about this happening to me every time I rode.

One thing that we can all learn is to live the day to its fullest, and don't waste your time here dwelling on the things that bring us down. Today might be your last.....don't waste it.

Take care Craig.

A

Anonymous

Just to let you know, I heard back from the president of Craig's club this evening. He is going to pass on our condolences, and is aware of this thread. It may be of small comfort to know that Craig had touched people all around the world.

Ride safe guys.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Have been off-line for a while so hadn't interacted with him much lately. Does anyone have any info on the incident (links?).

RIP...

From a friend on the Gold Coast who knew Craig very well has provided me with some further information on the accident and Craig as a person.

Craig had been to the races, he then went to have breakfast with his friends at Paradise point and on the way home he pulled over to the center lane to make a right (Australia drives on the left-side, like Britain), he stopped for the lights and was still when some d***head was coming in the opposite direction, texting on his phone when his car mounted the median strip took out the street lights then he cannoned into Craig and he was killed there and then.

He had some problems of which gave him some learning difficulties, but he was very bright and went to the Giro on his own, took his bike rode from one stage to another where he could, then trained on the long hauls.
So many people admired him for overcoming many problems, he became a very competent photographer and was looking to take this to international cycling, I am sure he would have made it.

I have passed on the links to this thread and the one on VR - apparently the people who he was close to had no idea that he was such an active participant on these forums, so my friend will post them in the club's e-mail newsletter, so that others can see yet another facet of Craig's life.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
From a friend on the Gold Coast who knew Craig very well has provided me with some further information on the accident and Craig as a person.

Craig had been to the races, he then went to have breakfast with his friends at Paradise point and on the way home he pulled over to the center lane to make a right (Australia drives on the left-side, like Britain), he stopped for the lights and was still when some d***head was coming in the opposite direction, texting on his phone when his car mounted the median strip took out the street lights then he cannoned into Craig and he was killed there and then.

He had some problems of which gave him some learning difficulties, but he was very bright and went to the Giro on his own, took his bike rode from one stage to another where he could, then trained on the long hauls.
So many people admired him for overcoming many problems, he became a very competent photographer and was looking to take this to international cycling, I am sure he would have made it.

I have passed on the links to this thread and the one on VR - apparently the people who he was close to had no idea that he was such an active participant on these forums, so my friend will post them in the club's e-mail newsletter, so that others can see yet another facet of Craig's life.
:mad:

Has the man been charged for Culpable driving?

CRIMINAL CODE ACT 1899 - SECT 328A

The link provides some information about the possible punishment for Culpable driving in queensland. I hope this wo/man is put behind bars.

GreasyMonkey said:

:mad: When will people learn not to text and drive?

Just realized something; I think I read a couple of tweets from pros commenting on the death of cyclist Craig. I kinda feel bad for not realizing who they were talking about... :(

A

Anonymous

RedheadDane said:
Just realized something; I think I read a couple of tweets from pros commenting on the death of cyclist Craig. I kinda feel bad for not realizing who they were talking about... :(

A few pro's did tweet, but dont beat yourself up. In the middle of thousands of tweets, you dont always put two and two together, if you tried to, you would drive yourself mad. :(

GreasyMonkey I'm so glad that you posted some additional information about Craig and his life....an exceptional individual.
It was really nice to read this.

I have been thinking quite a bit about him the last couple of days and it just all is so tragic and useless that his life was taken this way.
He really has touched a lot of people around the world.

Damn. I admired that guy's even handedness, enthusiasm, and just his love of cycling that came out in all his posts. It says alot that it makes me so sad to hear about someone who I interacted with peripherally at best for the last 3 years on a message board. Just tragic news.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I heard this yesterday and it was like terrible..Craig came across as a genuine top guy and really likable. Its such a tragic thing to happen to a young cyclist.

He will be missed.

TRENDING THREADS