• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

training camp - where?

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi.

I'm planning a training camp in Italy from 1.feb - 28 March.

I've been looking at Lucca and the area east of the Garda lake.

The purpose of the training camp is to get some good long rides in the mountains. But the question is if it's even possible/safe (due to weather - snow/ice on roads).

Does anyone have any info on this?

I'm also open to suggestions on other places to do a training camp.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
DarkWing said:
Hi.

I'm planning a training camp in Italy from 1.feb - 28 March.

I've been looking at Lucca and the area east of the Garda lake.

The purpose of the training camp is to get some good long rides in the mountains. But the question is if it's even possible/safe (due to weather - snow/ice on roads).

Does anyone have any info on this?

I'm also open to suggestions on other places to do a training camp.

Lucca will be OK, Garda could be a bit cold. There are a few good climbs near Lucca, the Monte Sera is famous, but not too long. Abetone is longer but should have snow at that time of year. The Consuma climb is also good, but kinda of far away.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
The purpose of the training Bike Trials camp is to get some good long rides in the mountains. But the question is if it's even Bike Trial Seller possible/safe The purpose of the training camp is to get some good long Bike Store rides in the mountains. But the question is if it's even possible/safe The purpose of the training camp is to get some Bike Shop good long rides in the mountains. But the question is if it's even possible/safe

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Why not Mallorca? Lots of places are set up for that sort of thing, and you are bound to run into a pro team or two whilst out on the road. There is also the Valencia region. Also the Algarve region in Portugal is also very popular with pro teams, so it is fair to say the roads must be good there. Keeping with the Spanish Islands, then there is also Tenerife.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
thanks Craig.

Do you have any suggestion for location in the Valencia area? Are there any good climbs?

Yes Tenerife would be a good option, except that it's a hassle to bring the bike on a plane, not to mention expensive.

DarkWing said:
thanks

Does anybody have any experience with the Benidorm/Alicante area of spain?

Nice weather in Benidorm but not much in the way of decent climbs or any for that matter. The Canarie Islands will be very windy. I was down in Mallorca last spring and absolutely loved it. I'll probably be back this year. There are many places to rent top high end bikes, many are from pro teams past season kits. It's one of the most bike friendly places I've ever ridden, including the cars/drivers...... whom actually respect cyclists. And there are plenty of designated bike routes with very little traffic. I just can't imagine a better off season place to train or ride.
Good luck.

Jun 15, 2009
www.swancoaching.com
Training camp in Southern California

If you wanted to consider the USA then you could come to my camp in Southern California Feb 13-21. It is located in the desert but with some great climbing nearby, starting right from the city we'll be staying in is a climb that is about 16 kilometers long with average gradient of 8%.

TRENDING THREADS