• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training hours for the classics

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Velo Magazine: Dou you have the feeling of being and old style rider?
Philippe Gilbert: No, then I would not get any result. But it is true that I train mostly
by feeling. In the team, we have Powertap but I do not use it. I do not even have a heart rate monitor, but I always know where I am. I never analyze my training with the computer or graphics. I have not the clue about how many watts I produce in a climb. That is
totally unimportant. What you have to check is how fast you are moving, and the difference you do in relation to other.

It seems that pretty much all top classics riders make long training rides. For me that's proof it helps.. they are the big contenders anyways.
Gerrans is the exception, but honestly he isn't one of the big contenders normally. He obviously was at his peak during M-SR while most riders are against their top during M-SR.

I doubt the quality of some trainers honestly. At Rabobank this guy called Delahaye does persontal training for a few years now and everyone only gets worse it seems. He makes a plan for riders so they peak at the right time, but they always peak before or later.
I'm sure there are better trainers though :)