• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training indoors on rollers - in the summer

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Does anybody else ride the trainer indoors for some of their hardest training efforts during the summer?

I like to do things like 3 minute all-out efforts, and all-out time trial efforts on rollers. In really heavy training periods, sometimes I'll do a recovery ride on them as well.

I've used wind trainers in the past and now I'm hooked on E-Motion Rollers (like these - https://www.facebook.com/InsideRideRollers)

Sometimes I get ridiculed for the inside summer sessions...but I don't care, they've given me a step up on a lot of other riders...

Just wondering!

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Sure, I train indoors all the time. It is matter or air quality where I live. An tough out door ride will leave me coughing for a day or two.

I don't care for rollers through -- trainers are better and give you more information and variability.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I used to. Interval sessions in the garage. If you want to race at 30mph that is what you have to do. Don't race anymore so don't do it. Don't miss it one bit.

Lots of people use rollers, trainers and ergs to do specific interval sessions or testing sessions indoors. As a coach I frequently hear riders complain that traffic, road conditions, wind, varying gradients mess up their interval sessions. Some would say this recreates the dynamics of racing but then indoors one can be very specific when meeting ones training objectives. Certainly for testing it improves the reliability of tests by allowing you to control for many environmental conditions. Some cyclists will do their interval sessions on the erg and then head out on the road to get some miles in.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
lexalbrecht said:
Does anybody else ride the trainer indoors for some of their hardest training efforts during the summer?

I like to do things like 3 minute all-out efforts, and all-out time trial efforts on rollers. In really heavy training periods, sometimes I'll do a recovery ride on them as well.

I've used wind trainers in the past and now I'm hooked on E-Motion Rollers (like these - https://www.facebook.com/InsideRideRollers)

Sometimes I get ridiculed for the inside summer sessions...but I don't care, they've given me a step up on a lot of other riders...

Just wondering!
There are lots of top cyclists that do essentially all of their training indoors. Most who do this think indoor training is of a much higher quality than riding outdoors.