• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training plan

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I am kind of new to advanced training, so i would appreciate any advice.

So here is the thing...I have been riding the bike(not professionally) for about 4 years now and there is a hill climb event that I attend every year(in the end of august).

I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how to train till that time to be in the best possible shape and make an improvement of about 3 minutes from my personal record. I am 16 yo, 186cm, 73kg. Have a lot of free time to train. Here is also a link to my strava ride last year-PR (the climb I am preparing to take on)...

I would be very grateful if anyone went into a bit more detailed training I should do in the next 5 months :).

For an event such as that, reducing bike weight would help. Don't carry more water than you need - but DO have enough.
Do weekly hill interval training -
go harder than usual for 1 minute,then recover long enough to do another 1 minutes hard. Repeat that a few times.
Next - recover for a longer time and then try again.
Do not injure yourself! And do not become so exhausted that you cannot ride safely.

Indoors, this can also be done on a 'step machine', or an 'incline elliptical'.

Jay

Reactions: JakobC
Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
For an event such as that, reducing bike weight would help. Don't carry more water than you need - but DO have enough.
Do weekly hill interval training -
go harder than usual for 1 minute,then recover long enough to do another 1 minutes hard. Repeat that a few times.
Next - recover for a longer time and then try again.
Do not injure yourself! And do not become so exhausted that you cannot ride safely.

Indoors, this can also be done on a 'step machine', or an 'incline elliptical'.

Jay
Thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate it!