• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training Ride Accidents

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or are pro riders getting hit left and right in training this season?

Andy Shleck had a minor incident a few weeks ago, Kessler taking a pretty bad one, Ricco had his little scrape and Paul Martens just got threatened.

I think i missed another notable but its kind of a thing it seems right now. I come close to getting hit at least 2x a ride. I thought it was because I live in killadelphia PA but im not usually riding in a pack. I'd have to guess these incidents happen more when riding alone but people seems to get even more ****ed when your ina group taking more space.

I just hate thinking about it all the time. I've been hit pretty good about 3x...always waiting for the next one:(

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bruce_Willis_97 said:
Is it just me or are pro riders getting hit left and right in training this season?

Andy Shleck had a minor incident a few weeks ago, Kessler taking a pretty bad one, Ricco had his little scrape and Paul Martens just got threatened.

I think i missed another notable but its kind of a thing it seems right now. I come close to getting hit at least 2x a ride. I thought it was because I live in killadelphia PA but im not usually riding in a pack. I'd have to guess these incidents happen more when riding alone but people seems to get even more ****ed when your ina group taking more space.

I just hate thinking about it all the time. I've been hit pretty good about 3x...always waiting for the next one:(

I've had zero serious injuries riding alone. Had several collarbones, ribs, etc broken during races by being hit from behind. Had many more injuries riding in groups of mixed ability on open roads. Bad luck sometimes, bad riders on others...when you're number's up you'll hear the bell ring.

I haven't had many accidents riding alone, but when I do, they tend to be good ones. I've had a finger ripped off when some guy doored me, which is easily the best one. How I only lost the 1 finger, I've never been able to figure out because the rest of my body was completely fine.

In regards to the pros, I think that they sometimes are just getting used to riding the roads again after taking some time off, which doesn't help. Weather this time of year isn't always the most cooperative either. Then there are cases like Kessler who shows why someone should always ride a helmet.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If Kessler had bothered to wear a helmet then he would be in the situation he is in. Rabobank fine their riders if they get busted for going training without a helmet on.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Highlander said:
I haven't had many accidents riding alone, but when I do, they tend to be good ones. I've had a finger ripped off when some guy doored me, which is easily the best one. How I only lost the 1 finger, I've never been able to figure out because the rest of my body was completely fine.

QUOTE]

I hope you still retain the necessary finger to direct agressive drivers.

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
I had the pleasure today of a car realizing that 'Oops, I need to make a right'. Went *** over teacups over my handlebar. All I gotta say is thank god for my helmet.

TRENDING THREADS