• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training Tyres

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
G'day,

I'm back this time about training tyres. I just went through a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros and I'm looking for tyres that are fast but puncture resistant like them. Maxxis Refuse are puncture resistant but aren't fast and just don't cut it for me. I'm thinking maybe Vittoria Zaffiros, but what's your opinion?

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
sacker said:
G'day,

I'm back this time about training tyres. I just went through a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros and I'm looking for tyres that are fast but puncture resistant like them. Maxxis Refuse are puncture resistant but aren't fast and just don't cut it for me. I'm thinking maybe Vittoria Zaffiros, but what's your opinion?

Excuss my ignorance but why do you care how fast your training tires are? I perfer them to be bullet proof and comfortable to ride.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Continental Gator Skins. Bullet proof, semi fast but not as great in the wet. Rode them for years now. Be interested what people come up with.

It's probably impossible, but I'd love a tyre that is puncture resistant but also race worth. Seems to be fast = low protection for punctures, slow = puncture resistant. So I wonder what is the best balanced tyre you can use for both training and racing (criteriums not included).

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
STODRR said:
Excuss my ignorance but why do you care how fast your training tires are? I perfer them to be bullet proof and comfortable to ride.

Yeah, the thing is Maxxis Refuse don't give me a comfortable ride. I went for a ride yesterday on the hills and they were just awful. They're horrible to ride. :mad: My Rubinos were great, but the price to get another pair is quite high.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
Continental Gator Skins. Bullet proof, semi fast but not as great in the wet. Rode them for years now. Be interested what people come up with.

It's probably impossible, but I'd love a tyre that is puncture resistant but also race worth. Seems to be fast = low protection for punctures, slow = puncture resistant. So I wonder what is the best balanced tyre you can use for both training and racing (criteriums not included).

I found that the Rubinos were really great for puncture resistant and with a 150 TPI they felt really quick. I raced on them comfortably as well.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
sacker said:
Yeah, the thing is Maxxis Refuse don't give me a comfortable ride. I went for a ride yesterday on the hills and they were just awful. They're horrible to ride. :mad: My Rubinos were great, but the price to get another pair is quite high.

OK I can buy that. Ror training Continental Gatorskins 25MM. It doesn't rain here much so don't know about wet but they last a long time and I rarely get flats. I find they are comfortable if I don't put to much air in them. I weigh 165lbs so I put 90 psi in the back and 80 in the front. Unless I hit something hard like a pot hole that is enought to keep from getting pinch flats.

I don't know how fast they are because I don't pay attention to that.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Stick with the rubino pros. I have been ridinging them for years, last ages (5000-7000kms), pretty puncture resistant. Great for commuting and training bike. Stick with what you know. Put race tyres on your race bike. Tried Conti Gatorskins 23mm once. Very slippy in wet. Back wheel spins in take-off at lights.

TRENDING THREADS