• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Transfers and Rumours 2017 > 2018

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You guys must be smoking. Bennati is one of the or the best rider to keep GC-riders out of trouble, particularly when the wind is blowing. Then you have good and porven rouleurs such as Viti, Sutterlin, Oliveira and Rojas and you are all set.

The big questions for me is how the climbers are gonna develop. Betancur, Carapaz, Soler, Hernandez, Roson, Sepulveda etc. We assume all of those riders havent hit their peak shape, but at the same time all of them have question marks to them. They are no Mikel Snows, not really proven yet.
The best rouleurs ride for Quick Step. Their focus is just different!

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Don't know if they would have had any interest, since they've never had a Low Countries rider as far as I can remember, but he would indeed have been the right kind of rider. The problem is, who's available who might be willing to go and be a rouleur at a team like Movistar who won't have a better chance to ride a better calendar for themselves elsewhere? I mean, Küng is out of contract but what reason could he be given to go somewhere like Abarcá and give up a lot of his own ambitions? Tying down Quintana, Valverde and Landa means they can't throw money at the problem. Gatis Smukulis? Mikel Aristi? I mean, sure, maybe they will do something out of left field and sign Stijn Devolder or something, but I just don't expect any serious rouleurs to not have better offers than Movistar can give them at this point in time.

And if they're going to sign anybody from the Volta it should be António Barbio, he showed talent over a range of terrains and good grit, and is young enough he may not yet be tainted with the indelible mark of Portuguese cycling. But with Bico and Oliveira they already have two better Portuguese rouleurs, and with Carretero they've already got a rider at a similar level and who they're much more comfortable with as he's come through their development system.
To add to the pain, they've lost Castroviejo, Dowsett and Sutherland. Abarca still has a number of good rouleurs but they will surely feel that loss.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

capuldemetal said:
Alex Dowsett to katusha.official.

Knew he was going to move but wasn't expecting Katusha, though it seems he places a lot of value in the TT bike so that makes sense since Movi/Katusha use Canyon.

Anyways it will be nice to see him ride some GT's again. He did 2015 TDF but crashed really early on making I think the 2013 Giro his last GT before that.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

rote_laterne said:
Pernsteiner to Bahrein according to PCS.
Good signing, he's a lightweight Marathon MTBer (168cm tall 54kg light) with a FTP above 6.1 w/kg who just started riding also on the road last year, 6th on gc in th Österreich Rundfahrt, his 2nd stage race on the road and this year he was 2nd on gc in the our d'Azerbaidjan.
He was already a stage racer as a MTB rider and Marathon is cloer to road racing, so now with him really focussing on the road he could be a great signing.

I don't get why the top marathon guys don't turn to the road.

The reasonable but not great ones like Cink and Peraud do so well, you have to wonder what the top guys would do. Like Evans and Rasmussen in the past. Lakata's too old to make the switch now, but I'd love to see Ferreira make a go of it or Pruus doing a proper climbing race instead of the cat 2s he does with Rietumu.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:

The reasonable but not great ones like Cink and Peraud do so well, you have to wonder what the top guys would do. Like Evans and Rasmussen in the past. Lakata's too old to make the switch now, but I'd love to see Ferreira make a go of it or Pruus doing a proper climbing race instead of the cat 2s he does with Rietumu.

Maybe they like MTB too much to make the switch.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:

Mtb is more fun.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
GuyIncognito said:

Mtb is more fun.

Maybe, but it's not like there's remotely competitive money in the discipline. Cross guys can earn enough money not to be immediately tempted over to the road, but mtb is another matter.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

b.broadhurst said:
Van Garderan to Sky was being talked about a lot yesterday!

Thoughts?

Read a couple of rumors about it but doesn't seem to be any legs to it. Would it mean he would become one of Froomie's super domestiques and could he fit into Sky?

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Brullnux said:
GuyIncognito said:

Mtb is more fun.

Maybe, but it's not like there's remotely competitive money in the discipline. Cross guys can earn enough money not to be immediately tempted over to the road, but mtb is another matter.
People like Nino in XC earn enough to not be tempted too, otherwise he'd rock it in road. Marathon much less so, but the atmosphere is less intense, the races more fun and you are able to spend more time with family etc.