• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Martin Laas signs for Bora. Very weird signing and I guess it means Bennett joins DQS, since Laas would be a third-tier sprinter for lesser WT races (UAE, Turkey).

Yeah that’s a highly weird signing. A 26 year old Asia Tour sprinter? I mean he does win in Asia, but it seems hard to imagine Bora signing a guy to compete with Shane Archbold or one of Ackermann’s leadouts for the chance to be fourth choice sprinter.

If Bennett (and Archbold) are gone it’s a little less bizarre. You’d think they’d go for someone either younger or established at a higher level, but from his point of view it’s a great opportunity

Last edited:
Martin Laas signs for Bora. Very weird signing and I guess it means Bennett joins DQS, since Laas would be a third-tier sprinter for lesser WT races (UAE, Turkey).
Doesn't seem like Laas was signed as a sprinter...

“We will therefore work on preparing him adequately for racing at this level, and we believe that he will be valuable in strengthening the team’s sprint train. He is very motivated to do so, and I’m looking forward to seeing the progress that we can make together.”

“I’m looking forward to supporting my teammates during the races and doing all that I can to help them achieve good results.”

Anyone heard any Ineos news?

28th October, most teams finalising rosters and Ineos still with only 24 riders for next year.

Dennis, Amador, Brandon Rivera & Carlos Rodriguez to sign?

Amador has a signed pre-contract with Movistar. Movistar has said that they will enforce that. Meaning that to get out of it Amador must pay the fee to get out of it. Movistar has said that if the fee isn't paid before he signs with another team they will go to court to enforce their contract. Yes they did state court.

Amador has a signed pre-contract with Movistar. Movistar has said that they will enforce that. Meaning that to get out of it Amador must pay the fee to get out of it. Movistar has said that if the fee isn't paid before he signs with another team they will go to court to enforce their contract. Yes they did state court.

While I hope in this case that Amador stays with Movistar, “pre contracts”, declarations of intent to contract and all similar devices should be unenforceable as they are in the employment law of most Western countries.

Reactions: Mayomaniac
While I hope in this case that Amador stays with Movistar, “pre contracts”, declarations of intent to contract and all similar devices should be unenforceable as they are in the employment law of most Western countries.

At this point, it's unlikely Amador stays, but with the signed pre contract it's very likely Movistar will get the money to break that before he can actually leave. They they have stated they have a signed document that is enforceable and they will enforce it. They said after the Sosa debacle (with Trek) that they had their lawyers go over these pre contracts to ensure they would hold up in a court of law if needed. I think this is the same problem that Sam Bennett currently has with Bora.

Reactions: Sandisfan
At this point, it's unlikely Amador stays, but with the signed pre contract it's very likely Movistar will get the money to break that before he can actually leave. They they have stated they have a signed document that is enforceable and they will enforce it. They said after the Sosa debacle (with Trek) that they had their lawyers go over these pre contracts to ensure they would hold up in a court of law if needed. I think this is the same problem that Sam Bennett currently has with Bora.

The Bennett issue although very murky appears to be a verbal commitment to sign a contract, ie even more tenuous. Movistar are probably right that their pre contract is enforceable, but that is likely so because of the UCI’s structure forcing riders into arbitration and keeping them out of the courts. In most countries actual employment courts do not like this kind of not-quite-contract at all.

The Bennett issue although very murky appears to be a verbal commitment to sign a contract, ie even more tenuous. Movistar are probably right that their pre contract is enforceable, but that is likely so because of the UCI’s structure forcing riders into arbitration and keeping them out of the courts. In most countries actual employment courts do not like this kind of not-quite-contract at all.

If Bennett's is verbal that will be a lot harder to enforce. From what I can find Spanish laws does accept pre contracts as legally binding documents. They also accept verbal contracts as the same as written contracts. With finding that I think they may be talking about going to Spanish courts and not necessarily UCI arbitration.

Ineos will likely cut a check in the next few days or so.

TRENDING THREADS