• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting: Movistar is refusing to work with Giuseppe Acquadro. I know some other teams have refused to work with him before (like DQS and Trek after the Sosa debacle) but this is pretty striking since they’ve attracted lots of riders through him in the past. That now makes numerous top teams that put him on the blacklist, leaving Ineos (especially) and Astana as key clients. But you can certainly say it dwindles down options for riders in his portfolio. Acquadro has said earlier in the season that he will not let “any of his riders” sign for Movistar.

There are also rumors (one of the sources being l’Equipe) suggesting that Acquadro asked Brailsford directly to let De La Cruz start in the Vuelta allowing him to showcase himself (he’s out of a contract).

Baffling how an agent like that has control or tries to control riders/teams..

I wouldn’t be opposed to a figure like that disappearing from the cycling scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaFlorecita
Interesting: Movistar is refusing to work with Giuseppe Acquadro. I know some other teams have refused to work with him before (like DQS and Trek after the Sosa debacle) but this is pretty striking since they’ve attracted lots of riders through him in the past. That now makes numerous top teams that put him on the blacklist, leaving Ineos (especially) and Astana as key clients. But you can certainly say it dwindles down options for riders in his portfolio. Acquadro has said earlier in the season that he will not let “any of his riders” sign for Movistar.

There are also rumors (one of the sources being l’Equipe) suggesting that Acquadro asked Brailsford directly to let De La Cruz start in the Vuelta allowing him to showcase himself (he’s out of a contract).

I wouldn’t be opposed to a figure like that disappearing from the cycling scene.

I hear you, and Acquadro also stated that he will "not allow" any of the spanish talents he represents to join Movistar either.
I wonder how these clients feel about that. Likely they'll be happy to get a World Tour contract in the first place, but for many young spanish cyclists, the chance to ride with a spanish cycling legend by the name of Alejandro Valverde as well as the non-existent language barrier plus the opportunity to "stay home" surely has always been a great motivation.

De la Cruz to Astana would make sense then.

With this I think that agent is going to have a very hard time signing new riders and especially Spanish riders who want to ride for Movistar. It seems this agent is going to have an even harder time finding teams for his riders with a lot of teams are refusing to deal with him.
I think this also explains why several of the young riders on Movistar haven't been resigned and now won't be resigned and likely won't be with a WT team either.
Wonder if the American agent I heard an interview with not long ago may need to look to hire another helper so he can bring on more riders. There is an opportunity out there. He was saying for him he won't sign more riders than he and his partner can truly take care of and that he deals with all teams and would never burn bridges with any of the teams because you need the most teams possible to find good placements for their riders.

Starting to get concerned for Ineos in the transfer market this year.

Poels, De La Cruz, Rosa, Elissonde, Halvorsen and Basso moving on.

But only Carapaz and Pidcock coming?

Some interesting names still available:

Pello Bilbao
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Louis Meintjes
Neilson Powless
Nathan Haas
Matteo Fabbro
Fabio Felline
Niklas Eg

Pello Bilbao
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Louis Meintjes
Neilson Powless
Nathan Haas
Matteo Fabbro
Fabio Felline
Niklas Eg

Be interested to know who the agent for Fernandez and Bilbao is. Also de la Cruz hasn't signed a contract yet and as his agent is the one more teams have blacklisted he doesn't have many options.

Pello Bilbao
Esteban Chaves
Ruben Fernandez
Louis Meintjes
Neilson Powless
Nathan Haas
Matteo Fabbro
Fabio Felline
Niklas Eg

For Pidcock, apparently no plans for a world tour team in 2020. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-...do-an-evenepoel-and-jump-into-2020-worldtour/

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Hmmmm, I wonder what the protocols are for riders changing agents in that case. If they're stuck with limited choices they might want to use another agent so they don't get stuck. Anyone know? One example of this - it seems De La Cruz was on his way to Movi according to previous rumors, and now he's stuck without a team (so far), he'll likely get signed but will it be somewhere that suits him?

Reactions: Koronin