• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What's the latest on who's going to have a World Tour license and how many wildcards there'll be next year? Will we see Quintana outside of France?
Posted this just a little above on this thread in regards to wild card teams for Grand Tours:

If there are only 2 wild cards, there won't be any automatic wild cards if there are only 2 wild card options. For the two automatic Wild Cards to be there there must be 4 Wild Cards. Last paragraph of this article: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ex...ge-leads-uci-to-expand-worldtour-to-20-teams/

Back to 18 WorldTour teams in 2023

The rule changes for 2020-2022 have avoided the possible relegation of two current UCI WorldTour teams but only delayed the risk of relegation, kicking the problem down the road. The stakeholders have agreed that the 2023 WorldTour will include only 18 teams, meaning up to two teams could be relegated from the WorldTour in 2023.
Advertisement

The possibility of having up to 20 teams in the 2020-2022 UCI WorldTour will also impact other new UCI’s rules, introduced just a few months ago, concerning Professional Continental teams and the compulsory invitations to WorldTour races.
The UCI has told Cyclingnews that Grand Tour organisers will still be able to award two wild card places to teams but the two automatic places that were due to be awarded to the two best-ranked Professional Continental teams are now at risk and will be cancelled if 20 WorldTour places are awarded.

Based on the above, la Vuelta will only invite Spanish Pro Conti teams as their wild cards. So you can exclude any hope of an invite there if you aren't one of those teams.

As for the two teams who get the WT license it would be a total shock of Cofidis isn't one of the two. It appears that Direct Energy will get the other one.

Quintana's all in for the Tour then. However it's obviously possible he could win the Vuelta - has a GT ever not invited back the previous winner? (discounting retirement and scandal)

Don't think Chris Horner ever raced it after he had won it. Also I can't see la Vuelta taking Arkea over one of their 3 Spanish Pro Conti teams that all need la Vuelta. Exclude Chris Horner who was the last Vuelta winner to not be on a WT team the following year.

Actually that's not quite right, Horner started the year without a team but signed to Lampre early in the season, however he was yanked from the Vuelta because of MPCC rules, I think it was to do with cortisol. He even finished 17th in the Tour with them.

Your mileage may vary on the 2008 Tour and Alberto Contador, because it was not him that was the problem but the team he had signed for - Astana were not invited because of the Vino/Kash positives the previous year, but that was before Alberto had signed for them.

Very few even potential cases in recent years, as apart from Juanjo Cobo in 2011, there haven't been any actual wildcard race winners in GTs since the inception of the ProTour in 2005, and few GT winners have moved to non-Pro/World Tour teams - so apart from the possibilities surrounding the UCI/ASO dispute in 2008-2010 kind of time over the 'original ProTour teams vs. current ProTour teams' thing, this hasn't been a relevant issue for a number of years. It would have theoretically been possible - Carlos Sastre in 2009 (moving to Cervélo, who were ProContinental so didn't guarantee an invite) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head (Cobo moved to a World Tour team after winning on a wildcard team), however.

Last edited:
Why should a 26 year old guy who just won the Giro and appears to be on the way up have to dom for anyone? I hope they're paying him a lot more than he could have made elsewhere.

Anyway, I kinda doubt he would have signed with them unless he was told he could have at least joint GT leadership. My early guess is he'll be given the chance to defend his Giro title and then go to the Tour as support for Bernal.

It will be interesting to see how Ineos manage Carapaz. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere to win the Giro, but he definitely performed above expectations (at least mine). I would assume, as you say, that he goes to the Giro to defend. But then what? If he tanks in the Giro, then taking him to the Tour as a superdom is a bit of a gamble. If he wins the Giro, then he can skip the Tour and go for the Vuelta as leader or co-leader.

I'm guessing that Brailsford saw the age gap between Froome/Thomas and Bernal/Sivakov, so going for Carapaz is a bit of insurance if the first two drop off sharply next year, and Sivakov doesn't develop the way they'd like.

There will be a new Hungarian PCT called Epower Factory Team

Yes, Davide Rebellin will be promoting an ebike manufacturer:D Along with Sepulveda, Brambilla and Cima. £20m Euro budget, aiming for the Giro

Supported by Viktor Orban, no less. Stefano Varjas on board as well.

UCI is probably going to think twice when the application land.

Why should a 26 year old guy who just won the Giro and appears to be on the way up have to dom for anyone? I hope they're paying him a lot more than he could have made elsewhere.

Anyway, I kinda doubt he would have signed with them unless he was told he could have at least joint GT leadership. My early guess is he'll be given the chance to defend his Giro title and then go to the Tour as support for Bernal.
Heras and Savoldelli were at USPS/Discovery as domestiques for "someone else"

As far as I can see, your link holds no info about the points staying with the team, rather than the rider?

As for top 18 teams being ensured a WT spot, please read this:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/23-teams-confirm-interest-for-2020-mens-worldtour-places/

Amongst other things, it says:

"If any of the five Professional Continental teams who have confirmed their interest are ranked in the top 18 of the world ranking for UCI men's teams, then they will also be deemed to have satisfied the sporting criteria. If two teams finish in the top 18 of the ranking, then the WorldTour for 2020-2022 will be expanded to 20 teams rather then the usual 18. "

To be that means, that if Arkea ends up in the top 18, they are certain to be a WT team next season, until the rules change again for 2023.

As far as I can see, your link holds no info about the points staying with the team, rather than the rider?

As for top 18 teams being ensured a WT spot, please read this:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/23-teams-confirm-interest-for-2020-mens-worldtour-places/

Amongst other things, it says:

"If any of the five Professional Continental teams who have confirmed their interest are ranked in the top 18 of the world ranking for UCI men's teams, then they will also be deemed to have satisfied the sporting criteria. If two teams finish in the top 18 of the ranking, then the WorldTour for 2020-2022 will be expanded to 20 teams rather then the usual 18. "

To be that means, that if Arkea ends up in the top 18, they are certain to be a WT team next season, until the rules change again for 2023.
IMHO the only clear thing atm certainly is that with French corruption going on Italian & Basque cycling is gonna get hurt, while most French pro continental teams miraculously archive WT status for 2020 to avoid the battle for wildcards!

IMHO the only clear thing atm certainly is that with French corruption going on Italian & Basque cycling is gonna get hurt, while most French pro continental teams miraculously archive WT status for 2020 to avoid the battle for wildcards!

Well Cofidis has been a pay to play wild card team for awhile anyway, so with them very likely getting one of the two WT licenses that won't affect anything.

TRENDING THREADS