• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Transfers and Rumours 2019 > 2020

Page 67 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, but until now he has only been good when the road goes uphill. His main strength are his crazy accelerations when he attacks uphill. Still, let's wait and see, his junior team has a rep for trying to get as many wins out of their riders as possible, not developing the really well.
Uphill but not consistently. Look at his classifications. While he may have been the only one to beat Evenepoel on a rare occasion, there are 5 to 10 riders in his age bracket that are easily better GC riders. That's why i think he'll shine in Ardennes/hilly classics, as a GT stagehunter, but not as a GC rider. Looking at Lunigiana for instance, he won a stage and an ITT uphill. But the previous/next day he was completely MIA.

Yes, but until now he has only been good when the road goes uphill. His main strength are his crazy accelerations when he attacks uphill. Still, let's wait and see, his junior team has a rep for trying to get as many wins out of their riders as possible, not developing the really well.
Stuff like this is why I'm on this forum. The tidbits of interesting information that sometimes pop up from users with some extra insight. Thanks!

Vacek always struck me as inconsistent. And it feels like that's the worst attribute to have as a junior. To me it seems like the ones that turn out to be the real deal are either consistently good as juniors, or nowhere to be seen because they develop later.

It will be interesting to see Colpack next year, with the two biggest Italian junior stars Tiberi and Piccolo teaming up. Wonder if one ends up working for the other. Although from watching Youtube clips while researching Riccardo Minali for my CQ team a few years back and seeing three or four Colpack riders sprinting randomly amongst the other riders, it seems to me like there's not much organized teamwork going on in that team. Though I remember Ravasi working for Padun in that Valle d'Aosta race Padun won.

Stuff like this is why I'm on this forum. The tidbits of interesting information that sometimes pop up from users with some extra insight. Thanks!

Vacek always struck me as inconsistent. And it feels like that's the worst attribute to have as a junior. To me it seems like the ones that turn out to be the real deal are either consistently good as juniors, or nowhere to be seen because they develop later.

It will be interesting to see Colpack next year, with the two biggest Italian junior stars Tiberi and Piccolo teaming up. Wonder if one ends up working for the other. Although from watching Youtube clips while researching Riccardo Minali for my CQ team a few years back and seeing three or four Colpack riders sprinting randomly amongst the other riders, it seems to me like there's not much organized teamwork going on in that team. Though I remember Ravasi working for Padun in that Valle d'Aosta race Padun won.
Colpack can be a bit weird, they often race like DQ on the cobbles in the smaller Italian U23 one day races and some riders end up winning a lot of races because of a strong team and playing the numbers game.
@Logic Yes, you're right, he's not really consistent.

He can't be that untalented; managed to get third in the U23 World Championship Road Race in 2017, and second in the Elite National Championship in 2014 - between Michael Valgren and Michael Mørkøv, because apparently only Michaels were allowed on the podium that year...
Besides, maybe he wasn't hired for his talents - or lack of same - but to work.
But, yeah. Riis probably did have a hand in his signing, this weirdly unofficially official signing; official everywhere, except - it seems - on the team's webpage.

Last edited:
At least they saved Rota from the graveyard of young Italians (a.k.a. Bardiani) at an age where probably isn't too late and could still develop instead of being destined to a premature retirement like dozens of young riders that have been in that disgrace of a team.

Isn't Ciccone the only success story from that team since the years they won a lot of stages in the Giro (2013-2014)?