• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Translation needed

Hi all,

I'd like some advice from native English speakers. In Dutch we use the word "palmares" for the list of a rider's victories. What would be the English equivalent? Google Translate mentions "honours list". But I'm not quite sure whether this is correct in this particular sports/cycling context. The term "career achievements" feels a bit too broad as it goes beyond victories.

Or perhaps "palmares" is generally accepted in (cycling-)English?

All answers are much appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hi all,

I'd like some advice from native English speakers. In Dutch we use the word "palmares" for the list of a rider's victories. What would be the English equivalent? Google Translate mentions "honours list". But I'm not quite sure whether this is correct in this particular sports/cycling context. The term "career achievements" feels a bit too broad as it goes beyond victories.

Or perhaps "palmares" is generally accepted in (cycling-)English?

All answers are much appreciated.

I think palmares is the most used term.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Very interesting question. I think in English-languages websites, especially if they are not entirely Euro-road race focused, “career highlights” is the rough equivalent. But in the U.S. I’m skeptical that there is a clear equivalent. Whereas a typical palmares includes podiums and green/polka dot jerseys, in the US it is wins that get almost all the attention (except at the Olympics, because a bronze or silver adds to the medal count).

I only have a couple of friends who are bike-racing fans, and I think if I started using the term palmares in a conversation they would think I’m being a bit precious. Obviously, I need more bike-racing followers as friends!

TRENDING THREADS