• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Travis Tygart interview 60 Minutes

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
Thanks for the link, Travis looks so nervous.

well, he has this contracting piece of skin on his jaw, but otherwise he looks quite composed, imo not necessarily nervous. the contracting skin could be fatigue, couldn't it?

Great to see him calling out the UCI time and again.
Still a lonely voice in the desert though.

sniper said:
well, he has this contracting piece of skin on his jaw, but otherwise he looks quite composed, imo not necessarily nervous. the contracting skin could be fatigue, couldn't it?

Great to see him calling out the UCI time and again.
Still a lonely voice in the desert though.

You're probably right Snipes, just the way I interpreted it.

You're right too about him calling out UCI, but sadly with the recent news w/the T&R, I have this eerie feeling Fat Pat amd Heiney walk........talk about 9 lives.

I was surprised to hear Tygart had received death threats. I had heard about him getting veiled threats. However, I didn't know he had been threatened with getting shot.

An interesting question is why the US Atty did not prosecute Armstrong for witness intimidation or witness tampering. Even if the US Atty decided there was not enough evidence on the drug or conspiracy charges against Armstrong, there surely had to have been enough to get him for witness intimidation or tampering considering the threats that were sent.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
You're probably right Snipes, just the way I interpreted it.
i looked again and he did look a bit tense. to be sure, I'm not a great psychologist either. in any case no strange eyemovements or hesitations: it clearly helps that he's speaking the truth. what a difference compared to e.g. Lance. All this looking away, odd eyemovements, hesitations. Even in his Oprah interview. Too obvious. Liar liar pants on fire.

You're right too about him calling out UCI, but sadly with the recent news w/the T&R, I have this eerie feeling Fat Pat amd Heiney walk........talk about 9 lives.
they'll hang on to their jobs long enough for them to have their pockets well-filled.
Clearly they're not in it for the prestige.

Well, Hein's pockets are already well-filled, I reckon. I don'T see him having any sleepless nights.
Phat might have some more existential interests in hanging on, although I reckon he too would survive without big financial problems if he were to be sacked today.

sniper said:
i looked again and he did look a bit tense. to be sure, I'm not a great psychologist either. in any case no strange eyemovements or hesitations: it clearly helps that he's speaking the truth. what a difference compared to e.g. Lance. All this looking away, odd eyemovements, hesitations. Even in his Oprah interview. Too obvious. Liar liar pants on fire.

they'll hang on to their jobs long enough for them to have their pockets well-filled.
Clearly they're not in it for the prestige.

Well, Hein's pockets are already well-filled, I reckon. I don'T see him having any sleepless nights.
Phat might have some more existential interests in hanging on, although I reckon he too would survive without big financial problems if he were to be sacked today.

Agreed. I think Travis looks a bit nervous(after watching it again), he seemed hesitant and nervous to me at times, but he did speak well, if that makes sense.

Im in agreeance w/you on Pat and Heiney too, dear god they'll remain.

SlantParallelogram said:
An interesting question is why the US Atty did not prosecute Armstrong for witness intimidation or witness tampering. Even if the US Atty decided there was not enough evidence on the drug or conspiracy charges against Armstrong, there surely had to have been enough to get him for witness intimidation or tampering considering the threats that were sent.

IMO, it couldve been bc they received some sort of "donation" ;):Dfrom Wonderboy, or some sort of bs political gain from it going away. Like I said in a prior thread, I have a feeling Travis/USADA and possibly WADA are sitting on more Wonderboy gold then they're leading us to believe is there, and eventually they'll drop the hammer on the uniballer and his merry band of igits. Again, my opinion. I think some shady *** went down to squash that investigation.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
He does look nervous at times, but again thats probably the way I took it.

Nothing he said was untrue IMO, and it was refreshing to hear the truth.
Probably he had to be carefull with his words, he cannot say everything, making him a bit nervous.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:

well, my only problem is that he puts too much faith in those affidavits, for instance when speaking about Leipheimer.
It seems clear (to me) that not all of those affidavits were 100% truthful.
With regard to Lance/USPS, sure, but not with regard to the post-2006 period.
Guys like Leipheimer (imo) doubtlessly kept on doping, and that is now in danger of being shoved under the carpet.

Anyway, notice how convinced Tygart is of Lance doping in 2009/10.
Shows you how 'integer' someone like Gripper really is. (recall she recently stressed Lance being clean in 2009/10 as a sign of how well the bloodpassport works)
Would like to hear JV's take on this.
This was JV in 2010 on Anne Gripper:
Anne Gripper leaving the UCI makes me sad. She's a great thinker, person, and has incorruptable ethical boundries. I will miss her. https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/9682899612
right.

I wonder why Tygart is allowing such weak affidavits, but perhaps it's the best he could get.
Totally prefer Tygart's credibility over Armstrong's representative. Someone is going down along with Armstrong, and forced to stay on board till the last second. Those who leave the team were not the ones that offered the bribation.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I just want to know why Tygart is on TV at all?

He made his case, the CAS will not be called. Why does he care? Why is he wasting his valuable time doing this?

I do wonder also what his rush to judgement is on the Feb 6th date? LA already has a lifetime ban. If he comes to the T&R ( assuming that happens) and he gives up everything he knows, why should that not be factored into his status? That was the deal the others got.

BTW, I did almost laugh when he said that doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing. If that were true, there would be 7 new TdF winners.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

He made his case, the CAS will not be called. Why does he care? Why is he wasting his valuable time doing this?

I do wonder also what his rush to judgement is on the Feb 6th date? LA already has a lifetime ban. If he comes to the T&R ( assuming that happens) and he gives up everything he knows, why should that not be factored into his status? That was the deal the others got.

BTW, I did almost laugh when he said that doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing. If that were true, there would be 7 new TdF winners.

Because Lance, along with the likes of yourselves, continues to besmirch the whole process. He does a good and valuable job, and as we can see from his attempt to out Lance, there are a lot of idiots out there who just don't get this. His continued appearances are a necessary part of the education process and without this he won't be able to do his job in the future.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

Trolltastic!

*Lance lied on Oprah.
*Lance's preferred tactic is make a big, public promise....then follow up with nothing. Deadline is a smart idea
*Here is the transcript from the interview. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57565703/is-lance-armstrong-still-lying/ Please show us where he says "doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing"

86TDFWinner said:

Tygart didn't look particularly nervous to me. He is a very intense person, and that is why he may appear tense!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

Is that you, Max? I thought Daddy told you to give it a rest...

Aleajactaest said:

BTW, he never actually said that.

Aleajactaest said:

Tygart was on TV to officially inform the public about Lance's bogus "no-holds-barred" interview with Oprah. It's a PR game, and he is thwarting Armstrong's tactics.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Trolltastic!

*Lance lied on Oprah.
*Lance's preferred tactic is make a big, public promise....then follow up with nothing. Deadline is a smart idea
*Here is the transcript from the interview. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57565703/is-lance-armstrong-still-lying/ Please show us where he says "doping was not prevalent in the sport when Lance was racing"

Not an answer. Those are just nice juicy rationalizations. Where in the USADA charter does it say that one of the jobs of the head of USADA is "GO on tv"?

If USADA is really interested in cleaning up the sport, doing everything they can to try and stop Lance from coming clean, seems counter productive.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
Tygart was on TV to officially inform the public about Lance's bogus "no-holds-barred" interview with Oprah. It's a PR game, and he is thwarting Armstrong's tactics.

Exactly. Tygart is a smart man. To beat Armstrong, you have to beat him at his own game, and that's Public Relations. Tygart knows he has to nip these lies in the but.t now before people latch onto them like they did with the other rhetoric.

Well done, Travis.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
Not an answer. Those are just nice juicy rationalizations. Where in the USADA charter does it say that one of the jobs of the head of USADA is "GO on tv"?

If USADA is really interested in cleaning up the sport, doing everything they can to try and stop Lance from coming clean, seems counter productive.

But letting lance Lie on his big "no holds barred", "confession" interview is also counter productive. Wouldn't you think?

TRENDING THREADS