• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trek Bike Company

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am currently reading the David Walsh book and have got to the part where he describes Dr Ferrari's visits to Lance Armstrong in Nice and the fitness tests that the carried out on the Madone climb outside Nice. This comes after the intimidation by Armstrong of Lemond via Trek Bicycles.

I thought I would check out the Trek website and was surprised to see that 5 of their performance range are still branded "Madone".

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/race_performance

It seems bizarre to me that a company that publicly split with Armstrong following the USADA revelations still brands their bikes with the name of a climb which is synonymous with their previous poster boys drug taking.

I also find it bizarre that they are looking to take over a team which still has most of the back room, front room staff and riders that were so linked to the Bruyneel/Armstrong legacy.

Seems like a highly contradictory stance that Trek bikes is taking.

Thats business. 99.9% of their likely customers aren't as well informed as you and won't give a ****e. Personally, I try and stay away from the big brands anyway and trek/bontrager particularly. I'm bitter like that.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
simoni said:
Thats business. 99.9% of their likely customers aren't as well informed as you and won't give a ****e. Personally, I try and stay away from the big brands anyway and trek/bontrager particularly. I'm bitter like that.

Same here have never gone anywhere near their stuff but a strange stance they seem to have nonetheless.

B_Ugli said:
I am currently reading the David Walsh book and have got to the part where he describes Dr Ferrari's visits to Lance Armstrong in Nice and the fitness tests that the carried out on the Madone climb outside Nice. This comes after the intimidation by Armstrong of Lemond via Trek Bicycles.

I thought I would check out the Trek website and was surprised to see that 5 of their performance range are still branded "Madone".

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/race_performance

It seems bizarre to me that a company that publicly split with Armstrong following the USADA revelations still brands their bikes with the name of a climb which is synonymous with their previous poster boys drug taking.

I also find it bizarre that they are looking to take over a team which still has most of the back room, front room staff and riders that were so linked to the Bruyneel/Armstrong legacy.

Seems like a highly contradictory stance that Trek bikes is taking.

I feel sorry for the Col de la Madone. It will always be associated with Armstrong. Its a dirty tainted Col. I should add I will never climb that Col or even one that rhymes with Madone, filthy.

No love for Trek here, and it would be awfully difficult to convince me they aren't one of the responsible parties for the current state of pro cycling, but if we start drawing negative name associations of this type we won't be left with many options for names, or maybe even numbers! As far as I'm concerned, Trek can keep right on with the Madone naming scheme as it continues makes them look stupid, and business may flow to other companies who were hopefully less "involved".

Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
No love for Trek here, and it would be awfully difficult to convince me they aren't one of the responsible parties for the current state of pro cycling, but if we start drawing negative name associations of this type we won't be left with many options for names, or maybe even numbers! As far as I'm concerned, Trek can keep right on with the Madone naming scheme as it continues makes them look stupid, and business may flow to other companies who were hopefully less "involved".

Trek is different from other companies. We know Trek actively tried to keep Armstrong's secrets by shutting LeMond up. The company is run by scum.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I feel sorry for the Col de la Madone. It will always be associated with Armstrong. Its a dirty tainted Col. I should add I will never climb that Col or even one that rhymes with Madone, filthy.

Col de la Madone transmitter is up there and me personaly will never listen to any type of broadcast that comes off that tower. Radio Monte Carlo especially since they are the operator.
Everything up there is tainted with dirty bad karma.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Col de la Madone transmitter is up there and me personaly will never listen to any type of broadcast that comes off that tower. Radio Monte Carlo especially since they are the operator.
Everything up there is tainted with dirty bad karma.

You are saying they play Nickelback and Justin Bieber?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You are saying they play Nickelback and Justin Bieber?

Exactly! The next thing you know they will have that Justain Bliebers monkey on banging the cymbals or some crap like that.

Speaking about Trek and gear, I never got on the wagon of buying a Trek Madone just because harmstrong rode it. For me that just seemed so DEuchbagish to wear the kit or ride the bike repliKATED for a pro.
No offense to any Trek owners but I never liked them before or after harmstrong. Same feeling I get when I see a Kestrel or Felt going down the road. I don’t look at those frames and think…dam…I gots to get one of those.

Last autumn, I went to get a badly buckled CX wheel sorted out at an LBS I hadn't visited before.

Place was Trek-only and decked out like a shrine to Armstrong.

I gave them my wheel anyway - I was pretty desperate - but I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. :p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Several local bike shops are Trek-only shops. I refuse to shop at them. The only thing they seem to sell is stuff branded Trek, Bontrager, or Gary Fisher so I could not find anything to buy anyway.

Personally I hold what Trek did to Klein against them.

Klein folks tend to be that way. I have a friend that his opinion about trek is based on Klein and Lemond. They would never get his buisness.

Place was Trek-only and decked out like a shrine to Armstrong.

Yikes! I bet the day it was announced Wonderboy doped, that shrine came down, and most of that junk was probably selling for 90% off.:D I wouldnt be surprised if everyone there is all butthurt the second you mention Wonderboys name to them.

I gave them my wheel anyway - I was pretty desperate - but I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

Despite Trek being one of the few bike companies that actually make larger framed bikes for folks like me,...... how they've bullied smaller companies, and especially what they did to an american hero in LeMond, they will NEVER get a cent of my money. They got into bed with a ******bag conman, then tried saving face by "dropping him" and playing the "we had no idea" card.

I'm curious to see how their business fares going forward. I know very few who ride Treks, and even fewer who would buy one now, in light of whats happened. They kind of did it to themselves. I dont feel sorry for them should their bottom line crumble.

Klein folks tend to be that way. I have a friend that his opinion about trek is based on Klein and Lemond. They would never get his buisness.

Smart friend. I refuse to give them a cent too for reasons we've both mentioned. I changed a friends opinions on Trek all because of their douchiness, he bought a Fuji instead.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Now when ever something Trek related comes up I justify it with the comment, reasoned decision. Usually something to the effect its crap.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
. . .
Despite Trek being one of the few bike companies that actually make larger framed bikes for folks like me,...... how they've bullied smaller companies, and especially what they did to an american hero in LeMond, they will NEVER get a cent of my money. . .
I'm curious to see how their business fares going forward. I know very few who ride Treks, and even fewer who would buy one now, in light of whats happened. They kind of did it to themselves. I dont feel sorry for them should their bottom line crumble. . . .

I remember when Trek was a startup, and producing good frames for excellent prices. Something happened along the way, and it doesn't seem like they held to those small-company / honest-product roots. Kinda like Nike. Although, Nike probably had less of that "honest-product" ethic from the very start. It just seemed different because it was American and a small company. Maybe Trek was the same way.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

Last year I rode the Madone. At the top there was an old local guy. He said something along the lines of "Armstrong was the fastest to the top, but Rominger still holds the record"

BroDeal said:
Several local bike shops are Trek-only shops. I refuse to shop at them. The only thing they seem to sell is stuff branded Trek, Bontrager, or Gary Fisher so I could not find anything to buy anyway.

Personally I hold what Trek did to Klein against them.

As an FYI, in order to become a Trek dealer, one must essentially agree to carry mostly Trek brands. The shop makes a little bit more money atop the few points they keep and Trek does very well by it.

The Independent Bike Dealer who tries to be like a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale shop (full line, mainstream stuff, trying to turn product not service) has no chance.

The Bontrager tubes have burned me badly. Very low quality. I have to go way out of my way to get different tubes.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
As an FYI, in order to become a Trek dealer, one must essentially agree to carry mostly Trek brands. The shop makes a little bit more money atop the few points they keep and Trek does very well by it.

The Independent Bike Dealer who tries to be like a Trek/Specialized/Cannondale shop (full line, mainstream stuff, trying to turn product not service) has no chance.

The Bontrager tubes have burned me badly. Very low quality. I have to go way out of my way to get different tubes.

Every time someone buys a Trek product, a kitten dies.

BroDeal said:
Trek is different from other companies. [...] The company is run by scum.

these points don't support each other, aren't most big companies run by scum? Specialized doesn't come across as particularly clean to me. None of these companies do, they're happy to be in a position where dopers can make their products look great while being excused from blame when the **** hits the fan.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Trek Lexa bike that I gradually upgraded it with parts from other companies. The reason that I bought this bike is that it was in my size, ( I'm short and female), I bought it as used, I bought it very cheaply though it was used from the previous owner for very little time and because it fitted to my needs.

The brand, the hype, the advertisement, Lance Armstrongs doping case etc etc had nothing to do with my decision to buy this bike.

I didn't buy it to support Trek, I didn't buy it because I love L.A, I don't care what the name of the model is, I just bought a bike that fits, works, is in the range of price I was able to pay for and truly I'm not interested about the rest, as far as my bike does the work that I want it to do for me.

Now if my poor bike, ignites some kind of "butterfly syndrome" and the purchase I've done will change the route of this world, is something that I really don't know, and I can do very little about it, because thinking the whats and whys of each thing that I buy every single time, I don't think that will change something.

If Trek wants to keep her bike models' name as "Madone" or wants to rename them to "Panagia Chrysospiliotissa" is something that really will not bother me ( personally). :)